HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 12:42 AM

What new connections to Toronto Island would you like to see?

Toronto Island is probably one of my favourite places in the city but obviously it is lacking in timely and efficient modes of transportation. It's so rare to have a place so close to the city that seems so distant from it, and I would love if the island would become a more accessible place for pedestrians.

That being said, the airport blocks a direct pedestrian walkway to the island, and without a costly and time consuming tunnel being constructed underneath the runway, I don't see how pedestrians could make it across to the park. If the portlands were to be fully developed, then a short bridge could easily be put in place to the eastern side of the island.

What other forms of transportation could make the islands more accessible?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 2:31 AM

the portlands bridge seems to be the only truly feasible option. a tunnel under the runway would be too long and inhospitable for use. maybe a tunnel under the bay from younge street that has a moving sidewalk to speed things up? (the cost would be REALLY high though)

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
It's so rare to have a place so close to the city that seems so distant from it, and I would love if the island would become a more accessible place for pedestrians.
I think you hit on a key factor right here. One of the islands' main appeals is that it is so distant feeling from the city, and I think that is largely in part due to the difficulty to get there. It creates a perceived isolation from the city and makes it seem much more of a "vacation' through this disconnect.

In a rather accidental way I think you have contradicted yourself by saying you love the islands for these reasons then trying to find a way to mitigate the special nature of the islands.

I think they are fine the way they are... its like a vacation inside the city.

I do think it is beyond time they built a tunnel to Billy bishop though

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:49 PM

Gambling.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I think you hit on a key factor right here. One of the islands' main appeals is that it is so distant feeling from the city, and I think that is largely in part due to the difficulty to get there. It creates a perceived isolation from the city and makes it seem much more of a "vacation' through this disconnect.

In a rather accidental way I think you have contradicted yourself by saying you love the islands for these reasons then trying to find a way to mitigate the special nature of the islands.

I think they are fine the way they are... its like a vacation inside the city.

I do think it is beyond time they built a tunnel to Billy bishop though
True, but the way I look at it is that right now, the islands are a place where you kind of have to plan in advance when you're going to go there, and then you end up waiting 30 minuted for the ferry to depart anyway. Plus I'm there I usually feel obligated to stay for longer than an hour given the hassle to travel there and back

My ideal scenario is where you can spontaneously decide to walk to the islands one afternoon and get away from it all, even if it's only for lunch or a quick visit.

Edit: Forgot to add that Central Park still maintains this isolated feel while being surrounded by streets and traffic. I think the islands could manage to achieve this as well.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 9:56 PM

To be honest, none.

imo it's one of the last priorities of things to do or to be blunt it dosen't really matter at all in the greater scheme of things.

DRL/Eglinton airport link, Sheppard extension and a second Toronto intl. airport are far more important imo.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 2:31 PM

A second airport is retarded.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 8:41 PM
Urban Fanactic

You don't need a second airport when you can just expand Hamilton's.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto