HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 2:47 AM

Capitol Condo Kingston

Hey all, not sure where to put this...

This was just approved by city council here about a week ago...

http://capitolkingston.com/

I will provide more updates from local sources when I can.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 1:19 AM

As a former Kingston resident I am happy to see more of this kind of development.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 1:57 AM
National Capital Region

One councillor was found by the City's integrity commissioner to have a conflict, so there will be a re-vote which may end up against the developer. Either way it's going to the OMB.
http://www.thewhig.com/2016/11/01/co...sioners-report

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 4:02 AM

I'm still on the fence about this one. It's a very awkward spot to build a tower in. I think the historic low rise layout should be preserved on Princess; high rises should be directed to vacant lands on the fringes of the historic core. There's enough vacant land in the area northeast of the core to accommodate quite a few tall buildings and Homestead has proposed a pair of 20 story rentals over there.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 3:02 PM

Councillor Candon was the one they did an investigation on, I actually live in his elected ward. I for one, am not opposed to this project, as I find that the downtown doesn't have too much room to grow out, so eventually things will have to go up...same trend as in other places like Ottawa, Hamilton, London, etc. Sure, the plans and renderings currently provided by the developer and the general contractors may not be what they ultimately build, but it does look promising, plus the tower itself will be setback to the Queen Street side of the block. Also, this project started the proposal stages as a 22+ storey building, and is now down to 15 plus mechanical.

A lot of folks feel that this building will be out of touch with the fabric of the downtown core, but the same could have been said about Princess Towers, Landmark Residences, Caruthers Wharf etc, when they were built...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 4:55 AM

Because of some weird procedural reasons, on the revote, this project's approval was retracted, but the rezoning to the requested height stands. Will make for quite a confusing scenario for the OMB to figure out.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario