HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Optima Center Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 2:48 PM
dream fast

3-13

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 3:57 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Thanks for the updates George. Great to see some pretty fast progress with this one since caisson completion....

I'm surprised we don't have an official height on this one yet........my guess would be maybe 440' from the upper street level but we'll see......

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:33 PM
dream fast

3-26

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:56 PM

^^ great pics. Does anyone know who takes care of removing the railing on the upper street / how the structure of the building is tied in to the upper street?

I assume that the design will obviously abut the street edge, but is it more like two buildings next to each other (like a Gold Coast Coop on LSD) or are builders allowed / implored to tie the building into the street?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 10:54 PM

Building will butt up against Upper Illinois, and there will be a main entrance for the occupants and the vehicles into the parking garage.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 12:24 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
^^ great pics. Does anyone know who takes care of removing the railing on the upper street / how the structure of the building is tied in to the upper street?

I assume that the design will obviously abut the street edge, but is it more like two buildings next to each other (like a Gold Coast Coop on LSD) or are builders allowed / implored to tie the building into the street?
The building takes up the entire lot. Between the facade of Optima and the Upper Illinois viaduct, there will be an expansion joint (a ~2 inch gap filled with rubber). This should allow for some settlement without damaging either structure. That's pretty standard practice with elevated streets... you can see them all over Illinois Center and Lakeshore East if you look closely.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:34 PM

Optima Update

Looks like this one is PT (at least at the bottom). It took about 7-10 days from when tendons were onsite to pour.

4-11

4-16

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:31 PM

I can't wait until this gets out of the ground... that area really needs some visual density to counter all those surface parking lots. This is definitely at least my second favorite building under construction right now, its between this and the coast.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:06 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I'm right there as well, this one is probably right behind Coast for me as far as this boomlet (so far)

Does Optima serve as their own construction contractor? I've been wondering who the gc is on this project. I understand that Optima has some sort of in-house construction business......I was assuming it was more just a project management function.....

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 11:08 AM

Was driving when I shot these. Couldn't get out of my car, which lead to some less than optimal angles. (God, I need sleep...)

------

Optima emerging behind Volare:

Liftoff is imminent from Upper Illinois:

The (now filled in) view from Lower Illinois:

T/O'd Ronald McDonald to the left, Optima about to emerge on the right:

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 2:08 PM

^^^ Lots of really great shots that have never been done before. I especially like the one from Lower Illinois, it does an especially good job of showing the progress. Can't wait to see this one rise for real. THanks Markh9.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 4:41 AM
Chicago Kid

i am excited about this one

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 6:06 PM

12/4 Lunch

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:27 PM

We had the same idea today! Interestingly my shot is of the same ramp only a few hours earlier...

Long reach for this pour...

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ I'm right there as well, this one is probably right behind Coast for me as far as this boomlet (so far)

Does Optima serve as their own construction contractor? I've been wondering who the gc is on this project. I understand that Optima has some sort of in-house construction business......I was assuming it was more just a project management function.....
What about Habitat tower, that looks to be a great building architecturally.

Also on another note, this building is looking great.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 10:00 PM

^^^
Meh, habitat is okay. And moving much more slowly than this... Its nice to see this get out of the ground (or upper illinois I guess). Hovey has a great little boutique development business going and I hope this goes well enough that he does more in the city...

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
^^^
Meh, habitat is okay. And moving much more slowly than this... Its nice to see this get out of the ground (or upper illinois I guess). Hovey has a great little boutique development business going and I hope this goes well enough that he does more in the city...
Not to get off topic, but is their a thread for habitat tower, I hope it isn't on hold...

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 11:29 PM
The Hero we deserve

Their is not a thread for Habitat Tower(360 West Hubbard) but they will talk about it in the City Compilations-Chicago thread. Someone(I think Hayward) posted some recent pictures. You should go and check them out. And no, the project is not on hold.

The reason why their is not a separate thread is because we don't create a thread for every single building. If we did make a thread for every building, then there would be nothing to talk about in this thread. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...02#post5690402

Enjoy.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 3:09 AM
TL;DR

Side note, but that expansion joint in the traffic circle is insanely wide...

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 12:21 PM
The City

^ Not to get off topic, but I have reiterate a previous opinion: I hope future developers address the circular nature of the site. This is a rare chance to create an interesting circular space in an otherwise right-angle dominant city

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive