HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 3:00 PM

This is an interesting concept.

The developer who did the old NFB building and Tramway recently passed away. Their next project was an addition above the Halifax Club and neighboring building.

These are from the property listing advertising the potential for the site and must have been the concept for the addition.

Source: Halifax Club Suites (Cushman & Wakefield Atlantic)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 4:15 PM

Another interesting future project:

Strawberry Hill Future Growth Node

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 5:10 PM

Apologies not sure where to ask this: Is there a thread for Spring Garden West? (did a quick search but couldn't find it). Wondering what's the status of that project...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 7:14 PM

You mean THIS?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You mean THIS?
Yes! Thank you Keith.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:31 PM

Not sure where to post this:
'A significant overreach': Canada housing plan draws provincial pushback https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/a-si...back-1.6833275

Why are provinces opposed to fourplex' and four levels basically the federal government is saying here's money but you need to develop more densely. And the provinces are against this? Why ?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musquodoboit County View Post
Not sure where to post this:
'A significant overreach': Canada housing plan draws provincial pushback https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/a-si...back-1.6833275

Why are provinces opposed to fourplex' and four levels basically the federal government is saying here's money but you need to develop more densely. And the provinces are against this? Why ?
There were initially, and remain some good reasons not to have 4x density on every lot?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 8:20 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I get it from both sides. I'm not a fan of row on row of 4 Plex, Town House, Row House whatever we want to call them all over the place as well. It's better than single dwelling, but not that much over all. I love them in areas where there are mid to high rise developments in the same area as that normally works well.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 10:49 AM

From what I understand...
The province can have billions and I mean billions of dollars for this.
And it's not going to tear down anyone's house or demolish whole neighborhoods. It simply says that the province is to allow development to be fourplex' etc.mayne I'm not understanding this. How can we say we're not interested in billions of federal money to the province for pro-development, pro housing, pro density?
I think we can afford to be pro density in Nova Scotia for decades to come. Nova Scotia is mostly un-developed. We have huge vast areas where we don't even have roads through our wilderness areas. Nova Scotia is not in an over crowded situation at all.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 11:18 AM

It seems to make more sense to remove or at least increase the arbitrary height limit that keeps new developments to a 7 to 8 storey max than to destroy existing single-family home neighborhood (the bane of the student urban planners everywhere and especially at HRM) by putting multi-unit houses everywhere in such neighborhoods.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 4:07 PM

Scanning the permits this week and four lots jump out as future development sites that we don't have any details on.

15 Primrose Street, Dartmouth - demolition permit with no mention of future use. Lot is ~21'000 sq ft in corridor zone.

1766 Robie Street, Halifax - Vacant lot at Cedar Street with permits in place for excavation for a future multi-unit building. ~10'000 sq ft in corridor zoning.

1816 Robie Street, Halifax - Same as above but on a 13'400 sq ft lot at Cherry Street.

2542 Robie Street, Halifax - demolition permit with mention of future apartment building. Lot is 6'500 sq ft and adjacent to another recently demolished lot (at Willow). The vacant lots total 20'000 sq ft in corridor zoning.

All of these lots fall under the H.A.F. rezoning goal to allow more height in corridor zoning that is along future Rapid Transit Lines. There has been a noticeable drop in large building permits in the Regional Centre. I think once the changes get approved in May/June there is going to be a massive pile of major building permits submitted in the following weeks. It looks to me whoever owns these lots are just getting ahead of the construction rush by doing everything they can without an actual building permit.

Also not a rumour but there is a $23M building permit submitted for a new 4-storey U-Haul storage facility at 30 Atlantic Street, Dartmouth.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Apr 7, 2024 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:54 AM
Salty Town

Height phobia pundits have been advocating infill density for years. I personally think it’s a misguided plan. We don’t do renos. well in HRM so I envision structures in the Quinpool area of quality construction and architectural merit having an offensive square box added to the roof and on the back, decked out in vinyl (if it hasn’t already happened). None of the streets in this area can accommodate the extra cars that will have no parking space.

Increase height on opportunity sites in the Kempt Rd. area and provide funding to restore quality homes. Maybe it would be advantageous to do a land swap with Windsor / Willow park and free up an extraordinary tract of prime, high density land.

This is what I sadly envision infill renos looking like:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6514...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6526...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6535...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It seems to make more sense to remove or at least increase the arbitrary height limit that keeps new developments to a 7 to 8 storey max than to destroy existing single-family home neighborhood (the bane of the student urban planners everywhere and especially at HRM) by putting multi-unit houses everywhere in such neighborhoods.
I often wonder if participants have children under the age of 18

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
That 6-story Gottingen build is on an impressively tight lot. Assuming they will be tearing down some of the adjacent properties.

There is now a demolition permit submitted for 2328 GOTTINGEN STREET, currently home to Farm Assist and JJ Mart.

This is likely tied to the proposed 6-storey building shown above.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:39 AM

I missed this on my first read of the suburban proposals list for HAF. Apparently St Thomas More Church on Caledonia Road (at Main Street), Dartmouth is requesting 25 storeys. Combine that with the 33 storeys across the street and the approved 14 storeys at Kuhn Road and this area has a lot of development potential.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Apparently St Thomas More Church on Caledonia Road (at Main Street), Dartmouth is requesting 25 storeys. Combine that with the 33 storeys across the street and the approved 14 storeys at Kuhn Road and this area has a lot of development potential.
AllNS is reporting that W.M. Fares Group has actually submitted a five-building proposal for the St. Thomas More site, ranging from 19 to 27 storeys. That intersection could soon look very, very different.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Hopefully the city has the foresight to carve out some land there for a light rail station. That corner could be the poster child for TOD development in HRM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
AllNS is reporting that W.M. Fares Group has actually submitted a five-building proposal for the St. Thomas More site, ranging from 19 to 27 storeys. That intersection could soon look very, very different.
Wow!

Old Posted Today, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I missed this on my first read of the suburban proposals list for HAF. Apparently St Thomas More Church on Caledonia Road (at Main Street), Dartmouth is requesting 25 storeys. Combine that with the 33 storeys across the street and the approved 14 storeys at Kuhn Road and this area has a lot of development potential.
The 14 story’s has been approved? That’s great! I know the strip along Kahn road is still not serviced by city sewer (surprisingly) so that’s a big bonus for any property owner along that small strip

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth