HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 12:39 AM

Latest drawings [13 MB] and Staff Memo for 815 W Burnside

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 6:12 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Latest drawings [13 MB] and Staff Memo for 815 W Burnside
Better than a Firestone....the design is pretty good overall, though I wish it was taller....not like tower tall, just taller than the AT&T building so it could offer some cool urban city views to the upper floors.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 7:11 AM

This is the residential project that wraps around the Dandy Warhols building.

looking east...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 8:02 PM
A before E

If that isn't the best example of Portland's old and new, then I don't know what is. Smart of the Dandy Warhols for buying a warehouse building in the Pearl before it was the cool thing to do.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 1:25 AM

Request for Response for 815 W Burnside St.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 10:37 PM

Staff Report for 815 W Burnside, which recommends approval. If it's approved on Thursday it will be the first project subject to the Inclusionary Zoning regulations to be approved by the Design or Landmarks Commission.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Staff Report for 815 W Burnside, which recommends approval. If it's approved on Thursday it will be the first project subject to the Inclusionary Zoning regulations to be approved by the Design or Landmarks Commission.
815 W Burnside was approved today. Here's the applicant presentation [63 MB].

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 2:48 PM

The Firestone on W Burnside has officially closed.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
The Firestone on W Burnside has officially closed.
I'm going to be so glad to see that site redeveloped.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
i'm going to be so glad to see that site redeveloped.
old portland is dying!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 5:43 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justrmor View Post
old portland is dying!
You're lamenting the loss of the Firestone on W. Burnside? Do you even know which site is being discussed? How can the current incompatible use and forgettable building be considered Olde Portland?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 6:47 PM

DMH, easy now. I read Justrmor's post to mean that he is glad to see parking lots, one story strip malls and suburban-style tire shops leaving the downtown core in favor of high density uses . . .

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 2:14 AM

jk. happy to see it go.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
DMH, easy now. I read Justrmor's post to mean that he is glad to see parking lots, one story strip malls and suburban-style tire shops leaving the downtown core in favor of high density uses . . .
I'm more than happy to lament the loss of this gritty, grimy, ugly blue-collar downtown shop. To be replaced with what... another cheap, bland Modera-esque apartment building containing yet one more coffee shop, art gallery, overpriced donut shop or Thai/Nordic fusion restaurant?! Guess we might always have the bearing shop on Everett, that building and its tradesmen preserved as some sort of historical artifact to a time when a brick building was actually made out of bricks. Geez I must be getting old.

This evolution is of course inevitable. High-density is a good thing. Not sure what an "urban" tire shop looks like... there's still the Les Schwab on NW 19th so I suppose downtowner's don't have to drive to Beaverton to get their air pressure checked. These old buildings and their blue-collar workers (as opposed to old buildings that have been remodeled to house creatives - of which I am one - or tech start-ups) are part of what made the Pearl such an interesting and unique area. That contrast between the old and new, the incorporation of both into the fabric of the city. Going fast.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:18 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
You're lamenting the loss of the Firestone on W. Burnside? Do you even know which site is being discussed? How can the current incompatible use and forgettable building be considered Olde Portland?
It was a part of Ye'Olde Portland where they use to replace wooden wheels and put new horseshoes on your horse. The good old days of Portland.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 7:10 PM

Firestone

I will say that these Firestone guys are awesome and honest and they work their butts off to deliver. They were working on my car and when it was going to be done a little too late to pick my son up from school, they drove me to pick my him up! When we got back the car was cleaned and detailed beyond what is necessary for new brakes and tires.
When I sold that car and the buyer wanted to take it somewhere, they took it here by chance and they told them they already knew the car in and out and told the buyer what great care i (they) gave it!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 7:08 PM

Wow, I noticed on the Land Use Intake report today two new hotels for the Pearl. One at 1202 NW Irving and one at 485 NW 9th, which I am guessing is next to the Canopy and kitty corner from the Hampton. They just keep coming!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
Wow, I noticed on the Land Use Intake report today two new hotels for the Pearl. One at 1202 NW Irving and one at 485 NW 9th, which I am guessing is next to the Canopy and kitty corner from the Hampton. They just keep coming!
My guess is that the one at 485 NW 9th isn't a new hotel, but is a new design review for the purpose of removing this condition of approval from the now built Canopy Hotel:

Quote:
The western wall at the property line may be clad in metal panel if the abutting parcel to the west is redeveloped to fully cover this portion of the facade; if construction on the adjacent parcel to the west has not broken ground within six months of the Certificate of Occupancy being issued for the subject site (Canopy Hotel), then the bronze, folded aluminum panels originally proposed and found throughout the other facades, must be installed on this portion of the west façade.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:06 PM

It is so odd that Design Review can place a requirement to revise a project after construction based on what a neighboring property owner does in the future?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 8:32 PM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference for 1202 NW Irving St:

Quote:
A Pre-Application Conference to discuss a proposed 10-story hotel. The
hotel is 170,000 square feet in floor area. One floor of below grade
parking is proposed with access from NW 12th.
Should be a big improvement over this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland