Empire State Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 5:48 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'm serious......I never leave home without my Duane Reade "rewards" card. You get a whole $5 dollars off for every $100 you spend, lol. Big bucks. But I also often stop by the Walgreens that's inside the Empire State, though I never really consider it to be inside.
That's cool.

...hmmm I do miss Manhattan.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 12:59 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Mystery: Empire State Building Zapping Cars Dead?
CBS 2 Investigates Daily Reports Of Cars Not Starting In 'Dead Zone'
NEW YORK (CBS) ― Is it urban legend or an act of science?

There have been reports of a bizarre phenomenon that some are calling the "dead zone," a five-block radius surrounding the Empire State Building where many say they've been unable to start their vehicle's engine after parking in the area.

And it seems to happen every day at some point -- dead cars in the "dead zone."

"The whole security system will not work. The door will not be opened, the activation of the security system won't work, the ignition will not work," says Rony Yaakobovitch a tow truck operator at Citywide Towing.

kobovitch blames the frequent occurrences on radio frequencies from Empire interfering with and jamming frequencies for computerized security systems on cars. Officials with the FCC and the Empire State Building say there no proof of that, but Yaakobovitch wonders how the vehicles seem to magically be perfectly fine after being moved out of the "dead zone."

"We tow it five or six blocks and the car will start right up," Yaakobovitch says. "[The owners] are amazed, they don't believe it."

Tow trucks operators say the "dead zone" is no secret -- it's been going on for years. Even doormen working along Park Avenue swear there's something coming off the skyscraper and zapping cars.

"It is true, because I've seen it with my very own eyes. I've gone out there and helped people," says a local doorman who only identified himself as "Carlos."

So what do experts have to say about the "dead zone?"

"It sounds a little suspicious. It sounds like more than just random breakdowns in a city. The location and frequency sounds a bit high," says Karl Brauer, an automotive expert. "I believe it's potentially true and I'd want to see more statistics to see if you could confirm something."

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 1:49 AM
World Machine

I would pin point it as a result from the ESB antenna.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 1:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
There have been reports of a bizarre phenomenon that some are calling the "dead zone," a five-block radius surrounding the Empire State Building where many say they've been unable to start their vehicle's engine after parking in the area.

"The whole security system will not work. The door will not be opened, the activation of the security system won't work, the ignition will not work," says Rony Yaakobovitch a tow truck operator at Citywide Towing.

Tow trucks operators say the "dead zone" is no secret -- it's been going on for years.] Even doormen working along Park Avenue swear there's something coming off the skyscraper and zapping cars.

So what do experts have to say about the "dead zone?"

"It sounds a little suspicious. It sounds like more than just random breakdowns in a city. The location and frequency sounds a bit high," says Karl Brauer, an automotive expert. "I believe it's potentially true and I'd want to see more statistics to see if you could confirm something."
And Doctor Doom stikes again...(or maybe it was Dr. Evil). Eventually, all of Manhattan will be striken by the ESB's giant "deathray"....making Doom ruler once and for all.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 9:01 PM
Euroscraper

When is the ceiling renovation going to start? I'm coming to NYC next spring so it would be cool to see the old mural come back to life once again!

Btw, whats the best day of week to go up to the observation deck?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 9:09 PM
Frigidus Maximus

archrecord.construction.com

Empire State Building Lobby
June 2007
Empire State Building Lobby Getting a Makeover
C. J. Hughes

Although not generally known for its ground-floor views, the Empire State Building—which recently topped an AIA poll of Americans’ favorite buildings—may soon give visitors a reason to linger at street level. The lobby of this Art Deco skyscraper, designed by William Lamb and completed in 1931, is being restored.

A plastic-panel dropped ceiling in the lobby, added in the 1960s, is being removed. In its place will go a re-creation of the original ceiling, a gold-leaf-on-canvas abstraction of planets and stars. A re-creation, rather than a restoration, is necessary because removing the white paint slapped over the original art was deemed too costly and difficult, explains Richard Metsky, an architect with Beyer Blinder Belle Architects and Planners, which is handling the renovation. Crews will stretch a new canvas over the old one, preserving it in case future generations ever develop a more cost-effective restoration method. The work will be completed as part of a $400 million, full-building renovation that includes both interior upgrades and the installation of 6,500 replacement windows.

Overall, Metsky hopes to improve the character of a lobby whose triple-height main entry and buffed gray-and-lilac terrazzo floors has in recent years been muddled by bulky security gates and garish storefront signs. Renovations, which begin in July and will last until March 2008, will add rows of cold cathode bulbs to brighten the dim space, which encompasses half a city block and has five entrances. Back-lighted illustrations of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, added in the 1960s, will be removed.

Beyer Blinder Belle is particularly suited to the project, having restored Grand Central Terminal and the Chrysler Building, both nearby New York City landmarks with highly decorative ceilings. “This is great opportunity to be able to restore the drama and character of what the original architects intended,” Metsky says. “It’s a very theatrical space.”

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 11:03 AM
Euroscraper

Oh, thanks CoolCzech!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioFX View Post
When is the ceiling renovation going to start? I'm coming to NYC next spring so it would be cool to see the old mural come back to life once again!

Any non weekend day that is clear is your best bet.

Quote:
A re-creation, rather than a restoration, is necessary because removing the white paint slapped over the original art was deemed too costly and difficult
What kind of moron paints over artwork?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 11:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioFX View Post
It's always crowded there, but any clear day is your best bet. Now that you mention it, I'm due for another trip up there myself.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 7:23 PM

When I visit the Empire State building sometime this year or next, I want to make sure I visit the 102nd story observation deck of ESB. In 2005, it reopened after 6 years, so i'll finally be able to see what it is like up there.

What i've noticed is that everybody I know personally that has been inside the Empire State said they've NEVER heard of a 102nd story observation deck, they've only gone to the 85th's. Strange.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 7:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
When I visit the Empire State building sometime
this year or next, I want to make sure I visit the 102nd story observation
deck of ESB. In 2005, it reopened after 6 years, so i'll finally be able to see
what it is like up there.

What i've noticed is that everybody I know personally that has been inside
the Empire State said they've NEVER heard of a 102nd story observation
deck, they've only gone to the 85th's. Strange.
Most people don't bother to go up, there's an extra cost. An idea from jim giesen

From txoov xyooj

Looking down on all of Manhattan's "glass" skyscrapers...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 7:47 PM

Now I really wanna go up there!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 8:39 PM
World Machine

Looks like tight quarters, but the view is more than worth it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 8:43 PM

LOL! I just saw this funny commercial of a guy getting a stuffed monkey and taking a pic of it while holding the monkey close to it. Look familier?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 1:59 AM
Frigidus Maximus

newburytoday.co.uk

Hungerford man races up the Empire State Building in New York for charity

A HUNGERFORD man has taken part in the world-famous Empire State Building race.
Fifty-year-old Keith Smibert was one of just four Brits to participate in the Empire State Building Run Up in New York on Tuesday (February 5).
The scramble up the stairs of the fabled skyscraper is done by invitation only and Mr Smibert was amongst only 235 successful applicants from all over the world.
He completed the 1,576-step, 86-floor course in 17 minutes and 15 seconds, in aid of national children's charity Dreams Come True.
Mr Smibert has supported the charity for more than ten years and this latest triumph is his 30th athletic effort.
He has previously run both the New York and London Marathons several times each.
Mr Smibert said: "It's been a dream of mine to run this race since it started in the late ‘70s and I was thrilled when I was invited to take part.
“Not only is it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and something not many people get to do, it's also a fantastic sense of achievement to reach the top and look out over the incredible city of New York.”
He added: “It was an extremely gruelling trial of strength but my extensive hill training beforehand set me in good stead and just knowing I was doing it for such a worthy cause really helped me to keep things going."
Fundraising manager at Dreams Come True, Philip Pride said: "We’d like to congratulate Keith for successfully completing such an extraordinary feat.
“We’re celebrating our 20th anniversary this year and this is one of the most incredible challenges we've come across in this time.”
He added: "The charity relies on the support of our fundraisers and the work that goes into preparing events like this starts many months before the day itself.
“Dreams Come True would like to thank Keith for all his support over the years."
Mr Smibert’s Empire State challenge raised £2,350 for the charity.

WHAT? Didn't even run up to the 102nd floor???

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 5:32 AM

Only 17 minutes?!!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 1:47 PM
Urban Explorer

Isn't the 102nd floor deck closed a lot? When I visited the ESB like 8 years ago, we couldn't get up there because it was thunderstorming. Apparently it closes in the winter because of ice, right?

Re: defacing the painting in the lobby. I can't believe someone painted over art before covering it with a drop ceiling. At least have to foresight to imagine that it might be useful again someday, and just stick with installing a ceiling that masks it. The full restoration might be worth it, though; not too long ago they did one of the Sistine Chapel (ok, ok, we're not comparing apples to apples, but whatever) and it revealed some brilliant colors that had been masked by years of just painting over the old one when it needed to be fixed.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 3:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Isn't the 102nd floor deck closed a lot? When I visited the ESB like 8 years ago, we couldn't get up there because it was thunderstorming. Apparently it closes in the winter because of ice, right?
Ice is not a problem there because its indoors. But its only be reopened for a couple of years, so when you visited it probably wasn't open anyway. There sometimes is a problem with ice falling from skyscrapers, a couple of years ago the streets around the ESB had to be closed because of melting/falling ice. Even on my last trip to the GE deck, the top (3rd) level was closed because of falling ice.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 5:01 PM

Remember what happened in Toronto last year? HUGE chunks of ice broke apart from the CN Tower above the observatory.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 10:04 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post

And it seems to happen every day at some point -- dead cars in the "dead zone."

...So what do experts have to say about the "dead zone?"

eeek. it's like an urban legend or something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture