HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Empire State Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 10:45 PM

Whenever I go to New York, I do love to see the new skyscrapers, and how far along they are, and notice how the skyline changes every six months or so. The one thing that stays consistent is that the Empire State Building always keeps my attention. When I view the skyline from a bus or train, it's hard to take my eyes off of it. The Empire State Building is, without a doubt, the world's most iconic skyscraper. It was built 87 years ago, and it never gets old. And no matter how many new buildings surpass it in height, or how many skyscrapers get built around it, nothing will ever say to me "welcome to New York" as much as the Empire State Building.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Yes, it's just so iconic and distinctive, and that magnificent spire and crown as a peak on the tower draws the eye, much more so than if it had been simply a flat topped tower.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:48 PM
Dryer lint inspector

It's still more massive than pretty much anything that has surpassed it in height in recent years. In New York and elsewhere.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:28 AM

Totally agree friends "All Hail The King of All Buildings"

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 2:42 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 4:42 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 10:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Video Link

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...our/ar-BBK84JG

The Empire State Building to light up every hour

Quote:
For five minutes, on the hour, every hour, the building will light up between sunset and 2 am ET.

"Just as the world defines the New York City skyline by our famous silhouette, our iconic tower lights are the globally recognized icon
of the New York City skyline at night," said Anthony E. Malkin, Chairman and CEO of Empire State Realty Trust in a press release.

"We are excited to unveil the new sparkle effect which will permanently enhance the New York skyline."

Along with serving as a compass for the city, visitors and locals alike will be able to look up to the tower to tell the time.

benicchio

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 5:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 2:58 AM

Today is the 21st of April. It's a day that holds special significance for me. For it was on this day in 2012 that I took my first ever trip to New York City. 6 years ago today. Now, at the time I was really, really obsessed with skyscrapers, and had never been to any big cities with skyscrapers aside from Philadelphia, where I live. Also at the time I was dealing with depression and the loss of my grandfather, two separate events. My first trip to New York was unforgettable. My parents took me. We did, in order, Empire State Building observation deck, Times Square, New York Public Library, Grand Central Station, St. Patrick's Cathedral (pre-renovation), Top of the Rock, took a look at 1WTC, and Battery Park. It was perfect. I was a middle schooler obsessed with skyscrapers. It couldn't have been better. And what better way to mark April 21 than by revisiting New York once again?

Now today, I did the High Line and the Whitney. Honestly, I found them both underwhelming. Especially the High Line. Why is it so popular? The Whitney was enjoyable enough, although the collection wasn't nearly as good as it could be. Hell, almost all of the works in the travel book aren't actually there. What's really great about the Whitney is the views. Halfway between ESB and 1WTC. Then I walked over to Washington, Union, and Madison Squares. I got a crapload of pictures of the Empire State Building, so here are a few of my favorites.

Now, back 6 years ago, the Empire State Building was still New York's tallest. One World Trade Center was halfway there, or somewhere around there. April 21, 2012 was also a fairly cloudy day in New York. Usually, when you see the skyline coming from the south, you get Lower Manhattan in the foreground and Midtown in the background, but at once. On this day, with the clouds, it didn't work like that. When I got my first glimpse at New York City, skyscraper lover's paradise, I was looking right at the Empire State Building. I'll never forget it.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 3:55 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Cheryl Hills

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:32 AM
New Yorker for life

The battle of the observatories in New York gets better all the time.

https://www.6sqft.com/empire-state-b...tory-entrance/

Empire State Building reveals its new Deco-inspired Observatory entrance

AUGUST 22, 2018
BY DANA SCHULZ

Quote:
here are two things people remember when they visit the top of the Empire State Building, “the views and the line,” said Anthony Malkin, CEO and Chairman of Empire State Realty Trust, at an unveiling this morning of the landmark’s new Observatory entrance. As phase one of the decade-long Empire State ReBuilding project to modernize the building, the new entrance will greatly increase space and reduce the wait time for the 4.2 million annual Observatory guests. The space includes a “grand staircase which splits around a two-story architectural model of ESB,” along with new self-service ticket kiosks, digital screens showing images of the building over its 87 years, and high-tech “airport-style” security.
Quote:
Guests will now enter on 34th Street as opposed to 5th Avenue. Though the exposed ductwork feels a bit off, the lobby plays up the historic building’s Art Deco features with its floor tiles and ceiling designs, reminiscent of those in the original entry.
Quote:
The highlight of this space is the 25-foot model of the ESB, done by master model maker Richard Tenguerian in just 105 days (the actual building was constructed in just 410 days). It has the same number of windows as the building, 6,514, and weighs 1,274 pounds. It also has 15,000 LED bulbs to mimic the building’s tower lights and light shows.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:26 AM
Ascension

My PS4

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 4:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:01 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...ding-9-styles/

The Empire State Building Reimagined in 9 Different Architectural Styles
New York’s iconic tower has been representing Art Deco since it opened in 1931, but what else could it have looked like?

By Tim Newcomb
Oct 3, 2018

Quote:
The jaw-dropping 102 stories and 1,250 feet of Manhattan's Empire State Building put it in a world all its own when it opened in 1931. While other towers have grown up much higher, it's still an iconic piece of the New York Skyline. The steel frame clad in Indiana limestone has been a beacon of Art Deco design for nearly 90 years, but what if the Empire State Building had a different style? The designers from NeoMam envisioned a few alternatives in a post for HomeAdvisor.

Gothic

Ancient Roman

Renaissance

Art Nouveau

Traditional Japanese

Postmodern

Brutalism

Deconstructivism

Sustainable

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 5, 2018 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:24 PM
Dryer lint inspector

The Gothic and the Deconstructivist versions rival the real thing.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:47 PM
Ascension

I want to see that Gothic building built. Period.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:39 AM
New Yorker for life

That gothic is my favorite, and would actually make a nice companion to the ESB.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:07 PM

Agreed that the Gothic one is best. I love how the base has flying buttresses and the general shape of the apse of a cathedral. And I imagine the observation deck in that style. It would be beautiful.

Ancient Roman is probably second for me.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:43 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.wtva.com/content/news/502921131.html

WORLD'S MOST POPULAR ATTRACTIONS, ACCORDING TO UBER

Dec. 17, 2018
By: CNN

Quote:
1. Empire State Building (New York)

2. Freedom Tower (New York)

3. CN Tower (Toronto)

4. Arc de Triomphe (Paris)

5. Eiffel Tower (Paris)

6. Burj Khalifa (Dubai)

7. Buckingham Palace (London)

8. Disneyland (Los Angeles)

9. Golden Gate Bridge (San Francisco)

10. Sydney Opera House (Sydney)

11. The Blue Mosque (Istanbul)

12. Berlin Wall (Berlin)

13. The Vatican (Rome)

14. Christ the Redeemer (Rio de Janeiro)

15. Great Pyramid of Giza (Giza, Egypt)

Bear in mind, the list only features destinations in cities where the app actually works.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:48 PM

My latest video which also features the Empire State Building, BY QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmij1MPYkw

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture