HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
ooooooooooh! yeeeesh... terrible part of me drawing conclusions. it just seemed like he thought it would be cool just jumping onto an oncoming bus... you know, like any college kid would do just to get a few laughs.
This is a tough one as far as assigning blame. The bus driver ran a red light.

FAIL.

The student with a foam sword jumped into a busy street without looking.

FAIL.

I think we should call this a draw.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
This is a tough one as far as assigning blame. The bus driver ran a red light.

FAIL.

The student with a foam sword jumped into a busy street without looking.

FAIL.

I think we should call this a draw.
well it's tough to argue with you here, that's for sure.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 7:12 PM

I was a witness to this event. In fact, I help start his tradition a few years ago. Unfortunately, Foam Sword Friday will not happen again. Glad to know Nick is doing well.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 8:04 PM
~Hook'em~

Why isn't it going to happen again?

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 5:27 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I don't think the school would allow it after such a high profile accident. I don't see why they can't just create a new tradition though maybe with the same principle but without having to run across a very busy street. Why not have a massive foam sword war right on the lawn of the UT Tower. If its just a bit of fun and a way to relieve stress, then that should be good enough.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 7:42 PM
Meh

Surely there has to be a better place on campus to do that where it would be safe.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 11:36 PM
~Hook'em~

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

Though from my experience telling a bunch of UT students they can't do something like have a foam sword war will only lead them to do something sillier, bigger and crazier.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 4:40 AM

When you participate, you would know that waiting for the crosswalk signal to change is the best part of the experience. It allows for chanting, war cries, among other things. The amount of time spent actually fighting is a small fraction of the whole thing. So moving it somewhere else on campus takes the wind out of it.

Here is how it is usually done:

Video Link
[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrSW2cbTHlk

If anything, the University said that they will no longer sanction the event. This means students will just organize it themselves (which we have done since the beginning).

I am still amazed that the video has gone viral the way it has. Over a million views in just over a day. It has all the perfect markings of a hilarious internet meme:

1. The video was filmed in the perfect spot to catch the collision.
2. The collision itself is similar to something from a movie.
3. The guy was wearing a Barack Obama mask, which raises this to a new level of funny.
4. Nick had no injuries, so we can laugh at this.
5. A speaker from the bus automatically says "Please do not cross in front of the bus" in English and Spanish immediately after the collision.
6. Nick jumps up two seconds after being hit and starts laughing.

Of course, being a witness to this on my last class day ever, in an event I helped start 5 years ago makes this the perfect way to end my days at UT.

Last edited by Samwill89; May 7, 2012 at 4:52 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 8:15 PM

Driver jumps curb and kills pedestrian on Lady Bird Lake Trail

More sad news....

Quote:
Rosales was booked into the Travis County Jail shortly after 1 a.m., records show.

He has been charged with felony manslaughter and failure to stop and render aid, officials have said.

According to a preliminary investigation, Rosales was driving a 1995 Hyundai Accent east on Cesar Chavez near the North Lamar Boulevard bridge shortly after 5 p.m. when he left the roadway for unknown reasons, an official said.

His vehicle jumped the curb, went into the hike-and-bike trail area, struck a sign and then hit the two people, an 81-year-old man and a 42-year-old woman who were on the trail, the official said.
Quote:
The crash comes in the same area where more than 10 years ago then-Gov. George W. Bush narrowly avoided flying debris when an out-of-control trailer overturned. The then-Republican presidential front-runner was jogging on the north shore of the lake and suffered minor bruises and scrapes to his right leg and hip when he dived away from the Longhorn Disposal truck and trailer.
This is another area that is very dangerous, people speed thru this section all the time.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...wing_cras.html

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 1:23 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Ive always been nervous about that part of the trail, your so close to the road you can feel the air as the cars rush by, im surprised they have not put up a barrier wall a long time ago.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Ive always been nervous about that part of the trail, your so close to the road you can feel the air as the cars rush by, im surprised they have not put up a barrier wall a long time ago.
I'd like to see some sort of traffic calming measures in that area. Not sure what they could put there, but something really is needed. They could definitely start by changing the speed limit earlier. A small, two foot high barrier or something might be nice too.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
I'd like to see some sort of traffic calming measures in that area. Not sure what they could put there, but something really is needed. They could definitely start by changing the speed limit earlier. A small, two foot high barrier or something might be nice too.
Got my wish - they setup temp barriers last night. Too bad it takes a death for the city to react. If they would listen to the walking public, they could be pro-active in these measures.

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/conte...blogs_fit_city

Last edited by JAM; May 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin