HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Fairbanks Court in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 6:41 PM
BANNED

^^^ Yes there is word. That is the site of the 560 N Fairbanks proposal, whether or not that will be built as planned is another story...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Hot Diggity Dog Lot is being tested this week. No word on what the landlord is planning to do with the lot in the near or far future.
Sign in window: Hot Diggity Dog is going out of business on September 12.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 4:56 PM

Going to have to get my fill of grease from that joint before it closes.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Sign in window: Hot Diggity Dog is going out of business on September 12.
My partner was at the site testing for about 1.5 weeks. He hasn't heard what they plan on doing with the site....if it is just going to be up for sale or if something will start to be built there or it is just going to be cleaned up. The owners are tight liped about this one.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 5:38 PM
tilted & shifted

SCB's website refers to it as "Fairbanks Court."

Quote:
In Chicago at the corners of Ohio Street, Fairbanks Court and Grand Avenue is the proposal for Fairbanks Court, a 55-story, mixed use tower. The two dominant parts of the program are the distinctive Streeterville condominium address providing 165 luxury one, two, three and four bedroom layouts and the 219 room hotel below it. Each has a distinct entry on Ohio and Fairbanks, respectively. On the 10th floor, the fitness spa offers both hotel guests and condominium owners the shared amenities of an indoor pool, a fitness room and a sun deck. Condominium parking occupies the first 8 floors of the tower along with some retail space at street level. The tower tops out at nearly 700’ for commanding views in all directions.
http://www.scb.com/?mainpage=2&paget...l=2&seclevel=7

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 9:19 PM
Chicago, il.- Malibu, Ca

After reading here that they will be closing "Hot Diggity Dogs" I ran over at 11:00 Am to grab a dog there. (Remember I said over a year ago that I lived in this area for quite sometime and I never had seen their doors open). So, I went in and ordered 2 dogs (feeling like sh.. ever since) because I normal dont eat that lousy anytime. But, I asked the lady working there what or where they going relocate to and she said that they werent sure but they were actively seeking a new spot. She said that they are going to level the stand and re-pave the lot. She also said that the radiation levels were so high that is why they were going to repave the lot and leave it as a parking lot for one year. I said sense the radiation levels were so high that she will not have to get any teeth cleaning for along time....

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 2:31 PM

^There probably is some truth to that, at least with repaving of the lot for one year. Seams like a waste though if the site was to be developed, but perhaps it will increase the resale of the surface lot should the project be canceled.

Anyway, the lot has been fenced off.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 4:49 PM
TL;DR

Repaving the parking lot won't stop the soil underneath from being radioactive... it'll just shield the radiation from escaping upwards.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 3:12 PM
Registered

Uh Oh

I think this is the parcel in question... too bad.

Developer scraps Streeterville condo project, sells site

By Thomas A. Corfman, Oct. 08, 2008
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=31317

(Crain’s) — Developer Centrum Properties Inc. has killed a proposed 41-story condominium building in Streeterville, selling the site to North Shore developer David Hovey, who plans to eventually build an apartment tower there.

And in a dance of developers, another site three blocks east is being put on the market by Draper & Kramer Inc. after talks fell apart to sell that site to Equity Residential, an apartment real estate investment trust.

Meanwhile, in another sign of the dramatic challenges facing developers, Draper & Kramer has hired Chicago-based Jones Lang LaSalle Inc. to market a site at 245 E. Ohio St. Just this summer, the developer was planning to build a high-rise with 220 condos and a 220-room hotel.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 3:53 PM
The City

^ Well, I'm sure in this market it wasn't going to happen for a LONG while anyhow..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Wait so David Hovey is taking over? I'd prefer that this tower go under and be replaced by one of Hovey's gems...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 7:01 PM

While I never really like to see a project canceled (It seems most of the ones I would like to see scrapped move on...), I don't really care about this one. Basically another generic SCB tower, no big loss. Save the land for a better building.

SSDD

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 7:49 PM
Registered

^ Yes, I agree. The best part about it was the height and the materiality change for the area. But there are other SCB designs such as the McClurg Court proposal that I'd like to see move forward first.

Perhaps the McDonald House can buy this site instead and save the nice old building around the corner? They'd have a ton of visibility here - not sure if that's what they're after.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 11:41 PM

^^ I'd rather have Hovey with this plot of land, anyway. I'd like for him to be creative, sort of like he was with the house I'm sure you've all seen: HoveyHouse

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 3:06 AM
Registered

^ Let me clarify from the article, guys: The article states that Hovey is buying the plot of land that was slated to become the St. Clair, at St. Clair and Illinois Streets. The St. Clair has been canceled.

He is not buying the site that was proposed for 560 N. Fairbanks. It's being put on the market with no known buyer at this time.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 3:13 PM

^ haha, thanks. either way, I'm not entirely unhappy

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 12:39 AM
The City

So should this thread be archived?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 3:30 PM

Yesterday a couple of bulldozers showed up and started moving dirt around for the first time in months and months. Don't know what's going on. Looked like they were removing the decorative layer of rock on top.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive