HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

American Commerce Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 6:45 PM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamphilapa View Post

Thank you very much for fufilling my request. You are doing a fantastic job with the renderings.
I think that version of the Freedom Tower is beautiful. I am fine that ACC looks like that rendering of the FT. I thought people were referring to the crumpled over looking version. They are similar, but ACC is a different building with different ques, plus the addition of the hotel cube attached to the base. ACC will be refined, I am sure, as we get closer to construction.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 6:55 PM

I was trying to come up with some prospective large tenents: Vanguard? A major phamaceutical (all NJ-based)? What about Verizon (very ugly HQ building in NYC) or Wachovia? Sovereign Bank (currently based in Reading of all places)? Someone else mentioned on a previous page that since NASDAQ is buying the Philly exchange it might be interested in a major presence here? US Airways?

Any other possibilities?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy0504 View Post
I was trying to come up with some prospective large tenents: Vanguard? A major phamaceutical (all NJ-based)? What about Verizon (very ugly HQ building in NYC) or Wachovia? Sovereign Bank (currently based in Reading of all places)? Someone else mentioned on a previous page that since NASDAQ is buying the Philly exchange it might be interested in a major presence here? US Airways?

Any other possibilities?
is it nasdaq or the american stock exchange that is trying to buy the philly exchange? if it is the amex, might that be an explanation of the building's name?
and I think the building is probably big enough to hold at least 2 of the companies/company types you mentioned. it would not be out of the realm of possibility for it to house a major bank and pharmaceutical company, plus the stock exchange, with room to spare. 2.2 million sf is a lot of real estate.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 7:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRAISER View Post
Don098, don't be an insulting fool on this forum!! As you can tell I edited my statements shorly after because I did notice the picture on the left was the World Trade Center!
What are 10 years old!?
I'm sorry that it offended you. I'm sure it was an honest mistake on your part, but you have to be able to laugh at yourself, too! I wrote that post two minutes after yours posted because I was already online admiring the old proposal of the Freedom Tower. Peace? Sorry again.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 7:07 PM
Resident Jackass

It would be nice if Merck would move over from their HQ in NJ. They would be a lot closer to their West Point facility.

It would also bring me a lot of business with all of their employees relocating

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 8:20 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
is it nasdaq or the american stock exchange that is trying to buy the philly exchange? if it is the amex, might that be an explanation of the building's name?
and I think the building is probably big enough to hold at least 2 of the companies/company types you mentioned. it would not be out of the realm of possibility for it to house a major bank and pharmaceutical company, plus the stock exchange, with room to spare. 2.2 million sf is a lot of real estate.
Keep in mind that only about 1.3 million sf of the tower is office- the rest will be the hotel and other uses.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 9:10 PM

Quote:
I'd say that the proposed name (ACC) is largely marketing technique, just as "World Trade Center" was in NYC at it's origination (before the State ultimately had to lease much of it owing to bad timing in a then-poor real estate market). That's not to say that a major tenant or two might not be in the wings.

These monikkers are meant to capture the imagination, and the tenants.....I think that "American Commerce Center" has a pretty good ring to it....

Last edited by donybrx; Mar 21, 2008 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 9:49 PM

I can't believe I'm just seeing this now for the first time. Great news for Philly.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
I'm sorry that it offended you. I'm sure it was an honest mistake on your part, but you have to be able to laugh at yourself, too! I wrote that post two minutes after yours posted because I was already online admiring the old proposal of the Freedom Tower. Peace? Sorry again.
No problem, I appreciate it!

Cheers!!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 10:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by donybrx View Post
I'd say that the proposed name (ACC) is largely marketing technique, just as "World Trade Center" was in NYC at it's origination (before the State ultimately had to lease much of it owing to bad timing in a then-poor real estate market). That's not to say that a major tenant or two might not be in the wings.

These monikkers are meant to capture the imagination, and the tenants.....I think that "American Commerce Center" has a pretty good ring to it....
the world trade center was originally conceived as a massive complex for importers and exporters. at the beginning it was largely that, with the state also leasing a great deal of space, but of course it didn't stay that way. so it wasn't just a marketing gimmick, it really was descriptive.
that said, you might be right about ACC, I was just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 11:02 PM
Frigidus Maximus

It looks like the Freedom Tower...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 11:03 PM
Western Suburbs

Possible company moves

Vanguard is not a possibility - they have a fortress in Malvern, they're not moving. Verizon? Sure, why not, it's logical. Would Verizon sell the land to a developer knowing they plan to move their empire here? Or is Comcast involved somehow...they do need ALOT more space.

The stock exchange is an interesting possibility. USAirways? I'm not so sure. They're headquartered in Tempe, but it's clear they view Philadelphia as their international gateway. I could see them move some operations to Philadelphia, but not the whole corporation.

If I'm WSC, I'm targeting banking/financial services. If only Lincoln would have held out a few more months...

I will say this - we (meaning the city) have a wonderful opportunity in front of us. If the right players are involved in the ACC, we'll have a positive domino effect that will last for decades.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 12:05 AM
Always Lookin' Up

Question Question

Would the developers change the name of the building if a big-time tenant signed on to occupy a huge chunk of space??

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 12:07 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraggman View Post
Would the developers change the name of the building if a big-time tenant signed on to occupy a huge chunk of space??
hell yeah they would. most developers would change the name of their first born child if it meant landing an anchor tenant for their project.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 12:29 AM

the architects have also designed supertalls in hong kong and shanghai. the one in hong kong is the international commerce center and shanghai has the shanghai financial center. american commerce center seems to be playing on that brand for its supertalls. keep in mind that arc wheeler of 10 ritt uses the "10" brand to denote its flagship residential buildings (also has 10 inner harbor).

is it a coincidence since architects don't normally name buildings? i'm pretty sure the developers aren't connected.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 12:36 AM
My CAT digs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Got Five View Post
USAirways? I'm not so sure. They're headquartered in Tempe, but it's clear they view Philadelphia as their international gateway. I could see them move some operations to Philadelphia, but not the whole corporation.
Actually, USAirways announced they are creating a Regional Headquarters in Philly, but only moving about 10 people here from Tempe. They will probably all be based down at the airport.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 12:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
It looks like the Freedom Tower...
does anyone *else*want to say it?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 12:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
does anyone *else*want to say it?
Amen, skyscraper. I wanted to say something but I bit my tongue for once!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 1:06 AM

Quote:
the world trade center was originally conceived as a massive complex for importers and exporters. at the beginning it was largely that, with the state also leasing a great deal of space, but of course it didn't stay that way. so it wasn't just a marketing gimmick, it really was descriptive.
that said, you might be right about ACC, I was just throwing it out there as a possibility.
The State became more involved than had ever been imagined.... or desired....NYC in the mid-70s was all but bankrupt, narrowly averted under Felix Rohatyn's stewardship. It was a mess, manufacturing jobs were bleeding to the southern states, commercial real estate was in the pits, including the WTC (expensive among very high office vacancy rates (so the state moved many employess there in order to occupy, utilize, and get the ball rolling; eventually, of course, the private market/ international users/ financial outfits did change the fortunes of the twin towers........

ACC, if built, should enjoy a better run.........hopefully.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 2:56 AM
Pennsylvania is ftw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the current renderings of ACC's tower. If you'll remember, the Comcast Center went through a multitude of designs before the final product, which IMO is by far the best of them all.
I totally agree. The design only got better on the Comcast Center. Also, I love the flat roof. I think as the design goes forward, the best possible thing would be to either shorten the spire and add more floors or to just add floors and bring the spire higher!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive