HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:55 PM

Planning study

Highway 1 and Pilot Butte access overpass

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/HWY1_p...udy_PilotButte

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 1:22 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
As I've mentioned in the past. MB. talks about building overpasses/interchanges. Sask. builds them!
Sad, but true. All talk, no walk.

Pitiful.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 7:52 PM

These are awesome! I am hoping for option 3 at dewdney and WRB, and option 3 at hwy 11 and WRB

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
These are awesome! I am hoping for option 3 at dewdney and WRB, and option 3 at hwy 11 and WRB
http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/Defaul...0-cb8ba82ac093

Referring to the PDF's provided here ^??

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/Defaul...0-cb8ba82ac093

Referring to the PDF's provided here ^??
That would be correct. Sorry forgot to mention the reference.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 9:47 PM

If anyone has an iPad. Go to apple maps not Google and you will be able to see the Dewdney street overpass dirt embankment beings plowed as well as one much farther south witch confuses me located at Hill ave. I can barley see it on my Iphone.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw6969 View Post
If anyone has an iPad. Go to apple maps not Google and you will be able to see the Dewdney street overpass dirt embankment beings plowed as well as one much farther south witch confuses me located at Hill ave. I can barley see it on my Iphone.
The overpass that you see there, are the run-ups to the bridge over the CP Rail tracks. The intersection at Hill Ave is slated to be a grade crossing with 90 degree turn to avoid bad sight lines.

No work has been started on Dewdney overpass yet.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Worth pointing out that whichever option they choose at Hwy 11, only half the interchange will be built initially. The other half, as indicated by the broken lines, would wait until a north bypass goes ahead.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Worth pointing out that whichever option they choose at Hwy 11, only half the interchange will be built initially. The other half, as indicated by the broken lines, would wait until a north bypass goes ahead.
True, at least this is better then the current situation which is nothing haha.

Speaking of new SK interchanges I will be going to meeting in Saskatoon tonight about a new interchange at McOrmind and Hwy 5 in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
The overpass that you see there, are the run-ups to the bridge over the CP Rail tracks. The intersection at Hill Ave is slated to be a grade crossing with 90 degree turn to avoid bad sight lines.

No work has been started on Dewdney overpass yet.
Any idea what the bridge going over the tracks would look like?

The portion of the West Regina Bypass that is budgeted for and under construction is the interchange at #1 and Pinkie and 4 lanes to Dewdney including the bridge over the tracks. Any timeline on the Dewdney,9th ave and Highway 11 interchanges? Would these be built before the South Regina Bypass even starts? So many questions. This is alot of highway work to get done for the Regina area in the coming years and the GTH is already running full stream.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
Any idea what the bridge going over the tracks would look like?

The portion of the West Regina Bypass that is budgeted for and under construction is the interchange at #1 and Pinkie and 4 lanes to Dewdney including the bridge over the tracks. Any timeline on the Dewdney,9th ave and Highway 11 interchanges? Would these be built before the South Regina Bypass even starts? So many questions. This is alot of highway work to get done for the Regina area in the coming years and the GTH is already running full stream.
The timeline was not stated, I send an email to the development team, but we might here more at the next open house.

As for the GTH its development is JUST starting, there are a lot of companies moving in with construction starting soon, Fastfrate being one of the larger ones. There has been a lot of road construction to facilitate large warehouses and new offices.

With this emergence I would bet that we will likely have the connection N/S from 1 to 11 before the ring around the south, but they may end up going concurrently.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 10:35 PM

As promised a couple of pictures from the West Regina Bypass and Trans-Canada.

Last edited by North_Regina_Boy; Mar 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 2:05 AM

Quote:
As promised a couple of pictures from the West Regina Bypass and Trans-Canada.

No pictures, just icons

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 3:26 PM

Humm having issues with posting from dropbox again. Will try and get them up.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Humm having issues with posting from dropbox again. Will try and get them up.
http://imgur.com/ is the best and easiest place to store pictures. I think you can embed them into form posts.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
http://imgur.com/ is the best and easiest place to store pictures. I think you can embed them into form posts.
Thanks! That works WAY better. Enjoy the pictures!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting! Looking fwd to seeing a few more interchanges under construction in the near future

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Thank YOU for the pics! Glad I can be of some help.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
Thanks for posting! Looking fwd to seeing a few more interchanges under construction in the near future
As am I friend, as am I.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 5:58 PM

West Perimeter for Saskatoon - Why Not?

I have a few questions and a potential solution, and I was hoping to see if anyone out in the blogosphere agreed with me.

To get the trucks and some of the traffic off of the Circle Drive Bridge and
"42nd Street" in Saskatoon, I think we all agree that a perimeter highway around Saskatoon is needed. Circle Drive between Airport Drive and Warman Road is a nightmare, and specifically the interchange at the Travelodge (Circle and Idylwyld) is kind of an embarrassment.

I've heard some say that trucks will go around Saskatoon to the west (on Circle through Confed and across the new South Circle Drive Bridge) but this still involves using Circle Drive by the Travelodge.

So, the perimeter highway is probably in our near or distant future

http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/...ic_PerimeterRd

What I don't get is why does the perimeter end at Highway 14? Highway 7 from Calgary is one of the most important highways (after the Regina and Edmonton highways probably) and it won't connect at all to the perimeter? I don't get it.

What the grand scheme looks like from the city webpages I've looked at has Highway 7 (and Highway 14) traffic funnelling past the high schools, Shaw Centre, and Confederation Park - permanently. Already there are complaints about 11th Street becoming the new shortcut it was not designed to be. Why is the main highway to/from Calgary designed like this? And the interchange with 22nd does not answer the question. Unless you are speeding off to Dalmeny Road, you will be stuck at traffic lights and right angle turns here too.

So...how do you kill two (or more) birds with one stone? Why doesn't Highway 7 connect directly with the South Circle Drive Bridge? A new highway, south of the CN yards, connecting with the already built interchange at Valley Road? And connect (or plan to anyways) the perimeter road south 2-3 more km with Highway 7?

I see mostly pros and very few cons with this idea:
- get most Highway 7 and 14 traffic off 22nd and 11th Streets residential areas and schools, and instead past a rail yard and on to an existing freeway.
- no traffic lights potentially from east to west
- if then the west perimeter highway was built from Highway 16 West to Highway 7 West south of the CN tracks to connect with my proposed road going east to the new bridge, you could have truck traffic going from Edmonton to Regina (or Yorkton) and no traffic lights.
- I'm pretty sure most truckers and much through traffic would take this way, leaving the north Circle Drive Bridge with less traffic
- the most critical infrastructure is already in place! It doesn't involve a bridge across the river, and most (all?) of the work would be out of the developed areas of the city. Compared to some of the other projects planned, this would probably be less expensive. 4 or 5 interchanges (and no bridges) at most between Highway 16 West and Valley Road
- could potentially delay the building of one or both of the north bridges

Two potential cons I see is that it gets close to Cedar Villa Estates - but they are already close to the noise of the CN rail yards, so I'm not sure this would be much different. The other is although it is (will be) an expressway from Valley Road to the southeast edges of the city, it will make traffic pretty heavy down in that end. I guess one other thing is distance wise it might be a few extra km getting around the west side of the CN yards and some might go through the middle of the city and Circle Drive anyways.

I don't think this is on the city's radar at all. They want to build big city yards and an off-leash dog park right in the area I'm thinking about. They also are "full-steam" ahead for the commuter (or is it Parkway?) bridge in the north. I think our limited funds would be better served in the south and the west to get the trucks out of the city. If this were built, commuting across Circle Drive North would be a lot easier and a commuter bridge up there would be less needed.

At least the city should zone for a Highway 7 extension, and then it could be built anytime.

Is this a good idea or am I missing something obvious?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan