HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: How often do you take SkyTrain?
Never 5 8.06%
Every day 20 32.26%
Every other day 5 8.06%
About once a week 11 17.74%
A couple times a month 16 25.81%
About once a month 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 1:18 AM

When i lived there around 12x weekly. Now its sadly around 12x yearly.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 1:38 AM

Daily. I use it to go to work and for most of my trips that are farther than walking distance. For things I can't easily do on SkyTrain (or sometimes buses), I use ZipCar.

People who aren't regular transit users would be amazed at how much shopping I've carried onto the SkyTrain after shopping trips to Costco (@Stadium) or Home Depot/Canadian Tire (@Broadway-City Hall.) I'm considerate enough not to do that when it is busy though.

I've tried owning a car but simply don't have the need for it, since I generally prefer transit to driving&parking in Vancouver. When I last owned a car, a tank of gas would last me 3 months and weeds started growing from under my hood (true story!)

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punface View Post
Daily. I use it to go to work and for most of my trips that are farther than walking distance. For things I can't easily do on SkyTrain (or sometimes buses), I use ZipCar.

People who aren't regular transit users would be amazed at how much shopping I've carried onto the SkyTrain after shopping trips to Costco (@Stadium) or Home Depot/Canadian Tire (@Broadway-City Hall.) I'm considerate enough not to do that when it is busy though.

I've tried owning a car but simply don't have the need for it, since I generally prefer transit to driving&parking in Vancouver. When I last owned a car, a tank of gas would last me 3 months and weeds started growing from under my hood (true story!)
I cycle almost every where. Especially when I want to go shopping. I'll use the skytrain to get me some place close then cycle the rest of the way.

One habit I've gotten into. Is to always have my backpack with me. Even if it is empty. That way I have some place to put things if I want to buy something.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 3:01 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
I cycle almost every where. Especially when I want to go shopping. I'll use the skytrain to get me some place close then cycle the rest of the way.

One habit I've gotten into. Is to always have my backpack with me. Even if it is empty. That way I have some place to put things if I want to buy something.
Why not just get a basket for your bike.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 3:51 PM

The more of Skytrain there is, the more people will use it. It's exponential. Once the Evergreen and UBC lines are built, if Vancouver is anything like cities in Europe (and cities are cities) there will, I'll wager, be a quantum jump in usage. Even moreso, if / when new and other lines are added.
Stay optimistic, ladies and and gentlemen.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 4:24 PM

I put a basket on my wife's bicycle, it's very cute.

lol I'd probably rock one anyway for when I go for groceries. They're super convenient and you can detach it and use it as a shopping basket.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
I take a backpack with me and put it into my basket. That gives me a lot of cargo capacity avoids sweaty back syndrome most of the time.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
The more of Skytrain there is, the more people will use it. It's exponential. Once the Evergreen and UBC lines are built, if Vancouver is anything like cities in Europe (and cities are cities) there will, I'll wager, be a quantum jump in usage. Even moreso, if / when new and other lines are added.
Stay optimistic, ladies and and gentlemen.
Actually, I predict the biggest increase will come from joining Millennium to Canada Line. Giving every SkyTrain rider two routes into and out of downtown, and a bypass route to avoid downtown, will really enhance the attractiveness of the overall network. It will also give tons of relief to the busiest section of Expo Line. To me this is the biggest benefit of the UBC extension, and I hope that they fast-track the first segment to Cambie because of that.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post

Well I'm planning on getting a new bike. When I do I'll get the rear hanging bags for it. Until then I'll just use my back pack.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 5:55 PM
loafing in lotusland

How about something like this:

source

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Actually, I predict the biggest increase will come from joining Millennium to Canada Line. Giving every SkyTrain rider two routes into and out of downtown, and a bypass route to avoid downtown, will really enhance the attractiveness of the overall network. It will also give tons of relief to the busiest section of Expo Line. To me this is the biggest benefit of the UBC extension, and I hope that they fast-track the first segment to Cambie because of that.
You got it! Right-on prediction.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 6:23 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
If we can get M-Line West... it will be a major coup.

To put it into a Toronto-like aspect, it's pretty much our own little mini Downtown Relief line.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 6:44 PM

A rack on the back and bags are the best.. easy on and off, great carrying capacity, and overall better balance than too much weight up front I think.

Or, just have the rack and some straps to tie stuff to it.

Edit:
To keep this on topic, I agree that the benefits are exponential. Despite crackpot zwei's claims, I like the fact that many stations are fed by bus. I think it helps everyone when a station nearby can help shorten a bus ride and make the service more frequent, before you get on the rapid part of the transit system.

As long as the M-Line to C-Line connection at City Hall is better than the Granville or Waterfront connections, it will be awesome.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 7:11 PM

During the spring, summer and fall I try to ride by electric bike to work every day. Sometimes I get lazy and I ride the bus or I am doing something after work with my wife so I ride the train in the morning or we ride the train together in the afternoon.

During the winter months I used the Sky Train every day and I rent out a bike locker at King George station. This coming winter I may bus and ride the train more as I now live right beside a bus route that goes to the station.

Last edited by tybuilding; Aug 18, 2010 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 7:45 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
I agree with that. Three or four routes joining at the centre of the city was at the core of those soviet systems and it works very well to this day.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 11:40 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Is it easier to use Broadway-City Hall for that Canadian Tire? I've always walked up from Olympic Village for that Best Buy and Canadian Tire when I'm in the area.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Is it easier to use Broadway-City Hall for that Canadian Tire? I've always walked up from Olympic Village for that Best Buy and Canadian Tire when I'm in the area.
I get off at Broadway-City Hall, and walk downhill hitting the "Big Box" stores on that stretch, and then back on at Olympic Village. All downhill, with no backtracking.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I get off at Broadway-City Hall, and walk downhill hitting the "Big Box" stores on that stretch, and then back on at Olympic Village. All downhill, with no backtracking.
It is my habit too!
I noticed that a few other customers doing the same thing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure