HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 12:47 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Chill out, council says
Edmontonians encouraged to be more positive about winter

Gordon Kent
Edmonton Journal

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Remember, it's a dry cold.

Edmonton's Winter City Advisory Council is en-couraging local meteorolo-gists and other broadcast-ers to talk more positively about the chilliest - well, least warm - season of the year.

"It's about not always say-ing that any weather story in winter is a bad weather story, and about not mak-ing it sound colder than it actually is," co-chairman Coun. Ben Henderson said Tuesday...

gkent@edmontonjournal. com
© Edmonton Journal 2013

Copyright © 2013 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...6e511&sponsor=

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 10:51 PM
Community Guy

Be among the first to see the premiere of a short film made by the City of Edmonton about our WinterCity. Performers will entertain you, highlighting some fun things we can expect to see at upcoming winter festivals. You'll be treated to a reading from the new anthology about winter in Edmonton, 40 Below. We will also be launching the first Official Signature Drink Competition! It will be an evening of entertainment – inspiring you to look forward to this winter!

Light appetizers and refreshments will be served. Printed tickets are required for admittance. Space is limited, so please get your tickets early. Free parking is available underground on level P1.
We will also gladly accept your donations of warm winter wear for the Boyle Street Community Centre at the door.

For further information on the event, please call Dayna at 780-993-9765. Thank you.

Get your tickets here: http://www.eventbrite.ca/event/8706903583

http://www.40belowproject.ca

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Last edited by Coldrsx; Nov 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 5:32 PM
Community Guy

http://www.allisbright124.ca

The businesses of 124 Street would like to invite you to celebrate the coming of the Winter Season by bringing light to our burgeoning community. In its inaugural year, our festival All is Bright will bring light to the night by providing illumination, fun, and entertainment to patrons in celebration of the diversity to be discovered on 124 Street. We would like to kick off the holiday season and showcase that 124 Street is the premier destination for food, fashion and art in Edmonton!

Storefront contest, music, rides, market, hot and cold beverage garden....

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 5:35 PM
Community Guy

Christmas on the Square - Holiday Light Up - Nov 16

Come for an afternoon of family activities, food vendors, and live entertainment to welcome the holiday season in Downtown Edmonton. Join Santa and his helpers in a countdown to light the massive Christmas tree and launch a spectacular fireworks display viewable from all corners of Sir Winston Churchill Square.

There will be music, entertainment, food, and good cheer! Fireworks begin at 6:00pm

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 5:38 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 9:04 PM
Community Guy

Fantastic turnout last night for the Winter City launch.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 9:31 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 9:40 PM
Community Guy

Month by month guide of events/activities

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ents_guide.pdf

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 9:56 PM
Community Guy

Cold? Dark? Must be time for tourists to embrace winter in Edmonton

BY BILL MAH, EDMONTON JOURNAL

A new tourism campaign acknowledges Edmonton gets cold and dark, but urges potential visitors to deal with it and discover the city’s charms in winter.

“We’ve decided to play on the fact that we’re north and we’re cold and we need to celebrate that as opposed to apologize for it,” said Maggie Davison, vice-president of Edmonton Tourism, a division of Edmonton Economic Development Corp.

The concept of celebrating the cold, snow and dark is part of Edmonton’s winter city strategy, which encourages embracing the season instead of just enduring it.

The tourism campaign, which launched Friday and runs to March 31, will tell the city’s winter story to visitors and residents with paid advertising, social media and a new website, winterinedmonton.com, which will be an information hub for shopping, culture, activities and dining.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...015/story.html

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 9:57 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 7:00 PM

They really should have an outdoor Santa Claus parade leading up to the tree light-up.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 10:39 PM

^ Ha, someone's reading my posts!

Edmonton’s indoor Santa Claus parade should move outdoors: organizers

Quote:
Organizers for Edmonton’s indoor Santa Claus parade, Jingle On, said they hope to move the parade outdoors in the coming years to keep the event inline with Edmonton’s winter city strategy.

“I would love for this parade (to move outside),” said Katharine Hoy, the producer for the annual Jingle On Indoor Santa Claus Parade. “That is something we need to think about.”

This year’s event, which was held Dec. 1 at the City Centre mall, was Hoy’s fourth time organizing the parade and while spectators stayed warm inside, she noted she would like to see Santa Claus hit the streets of Edmonton.

“We say we are a winter city, so I think maybe in a couple of years we may have a real outside Santa Clause parade like they do in cities like Toronto,” she added.

“I would love to see an outdoor Santa Claus parade. I think Edmonton is ready for one. But in the mean time, this is what we are doing to keep the Christmas spirit alive.”
The parade should happen the same day as the tree light-up in Churchill Square

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 8:11 PM
Community Guy

Servus Free Ski Fridays

We've partnered with Edmonton Ski Club and Servus Credit Union to support their new initiative: Servus Free Ski Fridays. Head to the slopes the first Friday of every month from 5 - 9 p.m. for free skiing, dinner specials, and rentals and lessons at $10 each. Check out the Edmonton Ski Club site for full details.

www.edmonton.ca/wintercitystrategy

http://www.edmontonskiclub.com

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 8:12 PM
Community Guy

New for 2014! Front Yards in Bloom: Winterscapes

We're partnering with Front Yards in Bloom to bring Edmonton a new winter contest to make our winter landscapes fun.

This new program challenges all Edmontonians to get outside, play in the snow and make our front yards beautiful!

Create a winterscape in front of your house, community hall or school. Use snow, ice and natural elements, such as visible trees and shrubs. Get creative! Add some whimsy with colour, lights and textures.

This contest is open to individuals and teams, including community leagues, youth groups and schools.

Entering is simple! Check out program and contest details this January at frontyardsinbloom.ca, or edmonton.ca/winterscapes. Nominate your or someone else's winterscape for an award by submitting a photo!

Get your creative juices flowing. Gather your family and friends. This February, Make Something Wintry Edmonton!

www.edmonton.ca/wintercitystrategy

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 3:50 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 9:37 PM
Community Guy

Took the toboggan to Connors, good crowd, lots of kids, incredibly fun.

Next up, snowshoeing and a night skating.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 3:26 AM

Good idea for sure.

But I truly did laugh out loud when I saw the pic...they look miserable lol.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 3:47 AM

As for winter city I miss saunas..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton