HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

50 United Nations Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 8:19 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
And yet, there sits Trump World Tower. You've heard of it, I'm sure.
Yup. I referenced it repeatedly already. Though, I think you didn't understand my reasons for alluding to it.

Regardless, I see no argument for a supertall here, simply fantasies. The current model just doesn't work per my reasoning and the facts of the site are prohibitive.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 8:47 PM
World Machine

Some of you really get too hung up on the 'supertall' concept. Dynamics are what make a skyline. I don't think placing a 'supertall' next to another tall building (in that area) would be good dynamic. Though this proposal may look 'lame', sometimes it takes lame towers to make more attractive buildings pop.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 2:09 AM
Ω

This tower is horrible! and it's on the river!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Some of you really get too hung up on the 'supertall' concept. Dynamics are what make a skyline. I don't think placing a 'supertall' next to another tall building (in that area) would be good dynamic. Though this proposal may look 'lame', sometimes it takes lame towers to make more attractive buildings pop.
since ive been here on SSP a year ive really lost the whole supertall infatuation i had and i do agree that it all relies on aesthetics to make a skyline beautiful though i would argue that we should utilize the open lots we have in Manhattan cautiously and design the towers that will rise from these lots graciously due to the fact that Manhattan has run out of developable land. while it is the city's nature to tear down and rebuild i think its important to work with what we have and architects should push themselves to give "gifts" to New York rather then second rate architectural fillers( a good recent example of an architectural "gift" is the Beekman Tower). Trump World Tower and the UN Plaza really have no use in having less than gorgeous neighbors to make them "pop" on the skyline,in reality they look amazing all on their own. UN Plaza deserves better and i will be disappointed if i have to look upon this area for the next couple of decades and think "it could have been better".

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post

It should be obvious from my comments that I almost always think the architecture of almost any building can be improved. This looks to be no exception, but I try to restrain myself until more detailed renders are released.

It is obvious from your comments that as long as a building is in New York, you'll find some terrible fault with it. And how is transportation along 1st avenue a limiting factor again? Are you insane? You've got the bus going north on one of the best-moving streets on Manhattan. You've got the east west bus on 42nd st. There is a brand new subway under construction one block away. And of course all the cabs and liverys. Is there another place in the US outside of New York that has better public transport options than First Avenue and 42nd st?

Last edited by pico44; Sep 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 3:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I see no argument for a supertall here, simply fantasies. The current model just doesn't work per my reasoning and the facts of the site are prohibitive.
There is no argument for a supertall here, just thoughts on why it wouldn't be completely out of line. Being a skyscraper forum, it's understandable that many people have a love of supertalls.

Anyway, the site's currently a hole in the ground, and what will rise there may or may not be this rendered tower...

ennipoet

gula08

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
It is obvious from your comments that as long as a building is in New York, you'll some terrible fault with it. And how is transportation along 1st avenue a limiting factor again? Are you insane? You've got the bus going north on one of the best-moving streets on Manhattan. You've got the east west bus on 42nd st. There is a brand new subway under construction one block away. And of course all the cabs and liverys. Is there another place in the US outside of New York that has better public transport options than First Avenue and 42nd st?
theres no trains going to that area of first avenue, easily accessible trains going to and from first avenue from places like Jersey and the other boroughs wold make the area more attractive for companies seeking to build office towers.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 6:01 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
theres no trains going to that area of first avenue, easily accessible trains going to and from first avenue from places like Jersey and the other boroughs wold make the area more attractive for companies seeking to build office towers.
The second avenue line will be completed semi-near this area probably around 2016.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 10:33 PM

What is that thing that popped up on the south face of the UN building?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 10:37 PM
Ω

^ That's the east face and that's just something in front of it in the image. perspective trickery.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 12:48 AM

Actually no, they're renovating the UN Building, and that appears to be a construction elevator. They're gonna be giving the building a reclad.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 4:38 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

^ Yeah. I shudder to think of the horrible implications that could happen with that new curtain wall. The mockups look good though. *crosses fingers*

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 4:44 AM

Quote:
^ Yeah. I shudder to think of the horrible implications that could happen with that new curtain wall. The mockups look good though. *crosses fingers*
its a landmark,screwing up just isnt an option. no need to be jumpy.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 8:44 AM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Actually no, they're renovating the UN Building, and that appears to be a construction elevator. They're gonna be giving the building a reclad.
Oh wow. Thanks for the info. I was sure that was not a possibility!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 2:31 PM
don't *meddle*...

i'm all for new highrises in the city, but i give this tower a miss. still, i'll wait for new renders, maybe i'll change my mind.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 9:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
What is that thing that popped up on the south face of the UN building?
Yeah, the renovation has begun already. You may or may not recall the proposal to build another UN tower just south of the Secretariat, but that got held up, so the UN moved some offices to other buildings, and also set up temporary shop in front of Trump World Tower (you can see in the same photo).

Here's that old proposal....
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=128600

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 10:03 AM

Any news here?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 5:30 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dnainfo.com/20111209/murr...n-site-near-un

Big Plans for Stalled Construction Site Near UN

December 9, 2011
By Mary Johnson

Quote:

The future is looking up for a stalled construction site across the street from the United Nations. Zeckendorf Development is planning to build a 44-story residential tower on First Avenue between East 46th and East 47th streets and fill it with diplomats.

“There’s a great need for dedicated diplomatic housing,” said Will Zeckendorf, of Zeckendorf Development, who presented the plan at a meeting of the Community Board 6 land use committee this week. The developer was asking the committee to approve a special permit that would create additional parking spaces within the on-site parking garage he’s planning, but he and his team took the opportunity to showcase the overall project, which they estimated could break ground at the end of next year. Zeckendorf Development reportedly paid about $160 million in 2007 to acquire the chunk of property, which the firm now refers to as 50 United Nations Plaza.

For this plan, Zeckendorf has hired Foster & Partners, an international, award-winning architectural firm, to design what will be a 240,000-square-foot condominium tower.The intent, explained Foster & Partners architect Brandon Haw, is to create fewer apartments with more space.

The site, located next door to the popular protest and rally site Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, could accommodate a building with as many as 300 units, Haw noted. Instead, the developer would like to construct a tower with just 87 condos. Each would be an average of 2,500 square feet, with 12 to 16 foot high ceilings. The sheer size of the units is intended to appeal to the diplomatic community, Zeckendorf explained, as representatives from foreign countries often need more space to allow for entertaining and small gatherings, he noted.

Site

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 6:50 PM

Sadly, this still remains a vacant and stalled construction site in a very desirable area. I hope something get started here soon. It would be great to see something pretty tall rise here, particularly if they go with a accomplished architect like Foster.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 7:27 PM

I feel that something like the rendering below would look spectacular (note: this is only a vision assembled by myself, not the actual proposal):

Image Source: bvohra
Building Design Source: Archi-Tectonics

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive