HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Who do you support for mayor
Craig Burrows 0 0%
Barb Higgins 11 12.36%
Joe Connelly 0 0%
Bob Hawkesworth 2 2.25%
Naheed Nenshi 65 73.03%
Ric McIver 6 6.74%
Jon Lord 0 0%
Undecided 5 5.62%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 4:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
I'm leaning towards Higgins. I don't watch TV, so did not know of Barb Higgins until she announced her candidacy. I have been following the other two main contenders for the last 3 years.

I like that Barb is respectful of diversity in an incredibly broad sense. From geography, to ethnicity, to occupation, and income.

Other potential candidates were eliminated due to lack of diversity with respect to transportation option (McIver), and Nenshi with lack of a priority and policies surrounding crime and safety.

I am being risk adverse at this point. Should a compelling argument be made by Ric to expand his ideas on transportation issues, or Nenshi on safety and police, I probably would reconsider one of these candidates. I am expecting Nenshi to release a Better Idea on crime and safety shortly (as well as arts and culture)... so this could be a deciding factor (preferably Nenshi will be launching into a more detailed discussion than a flagwaving news release). My guess is the reason why this hasn't been released yet is for strategic reasons as opposed to technical reasons (allows him to pose questions that will identify flaws in candidates).
Radley77, no offense intended, but your posts are reinforcement for all of those engaged citizens who do look at the details to not vote for Higgins. Are you on McIver's payroll? You really need to start attending the forums and reading the policy proposals.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 4:52 PM

Nenshi on crime: "I'm not suggesting we should cut the operating budget of the police, I'm not suggesting we should cut the staffing levels, I am suggesting we
cannot make $300-million decisions without asking questions."
(in regards to his dust-up with Chief Hanson - GlobalTVCalgary.com )

Another slightly less biased take on the issue - CalgaryPolitics.com

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 6:08 PM
Ack Thptf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRev View Post
So she's against crime. Who isn't?
Just once, I'd like to see a candidate who is pro-crime and pro-tax. Perhaps against motherhood and apple pie too. I'm surprised that some comedian hasn't paid his $500 and run as the "Anti-Mayor". It could provide us with alot of larfs.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 6:14 PM
The City That Moves

I have read all the policy proposals by the three leading candidates. Am subscribed to all of their feeds on facebook, as well I do read newspapers and other online articles. I've watched about every leading candidates points on youtube.

I agree that Higgins platform is light on details. I originally liked Nenshi but he has actually turned me off on a lot of his details which I disagree with him on. I could explain much more, but I'm not here to attack Nenshi. Maybe if Higgins starts annoying me more I'll change my vote.

Here's what I agree with Nenshi on:
- Prioritize policies to approve secondary suites (people generally have more positive outcomes when you allow them the ability to share resources and this applies to even things like marriages, NPO's, and corporations). i.e.: Would be good for both seniors on a fixed income, and students
- Revising development levies to reflect the cost of infrastructure whether it's up, in or out. i.e.: increasing cost-efficiency of entire development industry improves affordability and therefore quality of life in general, any subsidy would result in a distortion or misallocation of capital; will never be perfect at estimating the external costs, but can try to do this the best as possible using third party consultants

I don't have a ton of 'needs'. I am not adverse to tax increases slightly higher than inflation. I would like to see an economic model of the SE LRT and a cost efficiency comparison against other transportation projects within the next 3 years. I would like for the same police officers per capita ratio to be maintained, but am open to ideas on the capital spending side of the police budget that could be reevaluated (automobile leasing, training facilities).

Last edited by Radley77; Sep 28, 2010 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
Has there been a public poll since the one that put Nenshi at just over 8%? I'm wondering if there has been movement on the undecided folks, who were the largest group in that poll. I'm also wondering what proportion of Kent Hehr's folks responded to his comment that he'd been impressed by Nenshi more than anyone.
The results will be different on election day, because those who support Nenshi will almost all go out to vote, whereas many of the others who were polled and chose Mciver won't.

lol! I just noticed that my browser spellcheck gave me a couple of options for 'Mciver': Deceiver or Conniver

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
lol! I just noticed that my browser spellcheck gave me a couple of options for 'Mciver': Deceiver or Conniver
Synonyms?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 6:56 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
people generally have more positive outcomes when you allow them the ability to share resources and this applies to even things like marriages
This was worded (perhaps unintentionally) awesomely.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy