HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 4:52 AM
Posh

Did anyone see this, about efforts to attract a grocery store downtown?
http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokan...ticle&sub=2846

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 11:10 PM

Davenport Tower

took this picture this morning on my way to work, they are just finishing up on the 10th floor, only nine more to go. I read some where they are averaging a floor every 3-4 days. I thought it was terriffic that it is starting to rise up above the smaller buildings and starting to make a mark on the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 1:03 AM

it looks like the offspring of a parking garage and the portland building, i hope it gets better as it gets farther along

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 1:12 AM

^and thats not good a good thing

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 2:27 AM
Hub for an Empire

At least with the 19th Floor, it will be glassed in and show look a little modern. In about 3 months they should top the building at the rate they are going. I think they started on the floors around the end of April of this year.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 2:47 AM
dance till you drop

to bad its going to block that building behind it

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 5:18 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ Maybe they will put a highrise in the parking lot in the above picture? Hopefully, the coloring might add a bit to the tower? Time will tell!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 5:55 AM

We'll.....one block east is where they are putting a new residential tower. 15 floors. And based on the companies track record, the building should look modern. This may spark some residential/commercial developments on the southside of the railroad tracks in downtown.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 10:43 PM

08/05/06 Is this not the ugliest building you've ever seen? Where did all the windows go?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 10:58 PM

More pics

Last edited by FireFighter74; Aug 8, 2006 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 11:05 PM

right now i am feeling very sorry for spokane

Old Posted Aug 6, 2006, 3:24 AM
Hub for an Empire

More windows would have improved the building. I do think the colors add a bit to it though. Let's hope the 19th floor will give it a bit of a modern flavor and he adds accent lighting to the top!

Luckily, more towers are coming to downtown Spokane!

Think positive ---- Just think, in less than a year, we all can be enjoying the "Safari" Room at the new hotel!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2006, 5:41 PM

"Think positive ---- Just think, in less than a year, we all can be enjoying the "Safari" Room at the new hotel!"

I'm still keeping an open mind...I think there's something planned for that "blank" side of the building that faces west.

As far as the "Safari Room" and the safari theme is concerned, I learned today that the sight on which the Tower is being constructed has been home to 3 other hotels (1 burned in the Great Fire of 1889 and the other two were demolished (1962 and 1978 respectively). The latter two hotels were named the "Desert Hotel" and the "Sahara Hotel" so I think Mr. Worthy is giving a nod to the history of the site.

The theme is obviously being carried over to the exterior of the building with the varied coloration of tans and browns. The "brick" facade also appears to be a nod to the classic architecture in downtown Spokane which is mostly red brick in character (with some notable exceptions including the ONB/US Bank; Paulsen; and Spokane Chronicle buildings).

We'll see how it all turns out.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2006, 7:29 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ Well that explains the Safari Room theme! My book about downtown Spokane from the 30's and 40's does show the Desert Hotel in that location.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2006, 8:04 PM

spokane upper falls condo pics. Along north side of Spokane river right across from downtown.

Last edited by FireFighter74; Aug 7, 2006 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2006, 8:19 PM

New WSU/EWU downtown campus building.

New Convention Center

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 6:07 AM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFighter74
08/05/06 Is this not the ugliest building you've ever seen? Where did all the windows go?

That is hideous.

Is this thing supposed to be a hotel?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 6:38 PM

I honestly don't understand the concept of the new hotel tower. I'm guessing (hoping) there will be some design concept applied to the blank west facing wall before completion. At least the pre-fab concrete panels will be painted as they have been on the north facing side. I understand perhaps not having west facing windows on the lower floors because they look directly at the Davenport parking garage but above about floor 6-7 the rooms would have a pretty nice view to the west.

Additionally, the northwest corner rooms would have great veiws of the original hotel, which unlike this one, is acutally something worth looking at. Even the tiny windows currently in the building are puzziling. I thought the new trend with hotels was big, floor to ceiling windows. These are small, tinted and sealed. They can't be opened in any way. Then, to have the HVAC vents exposed on the exterior of the building it just boggles the mind.

I generally like Mr. Worthy for what he has done for the community and his restoration of the original Davenport was first class. Even if the interior and rooms in the new tower are great, however, the exterior of the new hotel will cost the Davenport name some cache. I know the building is not finished yet but they are 13 floors in and I don't see any major changes at this point. Also, the building likely won't be that much taller than the washington trust building (16 floors). I was on the 12th floor of the washington trust the other day and it looks down on the 13th floor of the davnport tower. The 14th floor of the davenport tower will be equal the 12th of the wa trust.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 7:31 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ Even if Worthy doesn't know much about design...I can understand that, but what about the Architectural firm? I do agree, when I heard about the hotel, that I visualize it slanted toward the NW, so it had a complete view of the original Davenport Hotel! They really missed the point on that one! Let's hope the tower looks okay, when complete. We all know what is will look like , from the rendering, and it seems true to that, so far. I won't say it's ugly, just that it doesn't have much design in it, has a dated appearance (early 1960's hotel design) and they really missed some things that could have made the tower more impressive. Not sure why they wanted to have small windows, except to save energy? I would think for a higher priced hotel, they would like to project quality in the building.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 8:01 PM
A before E

either Worthy gave the firm one hell of a small budget to work with or this is really one crappy firm that couldn't produce anything mediocre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West