HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 10:23 PM

World Trade Center

It looks like the City and the WTC have made real progress. Let's hope this goes through and the city moves on the building (renovations or repurposing the site) before it collapses into the river.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...tory-building/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 10:42 PM
TL;DR

The T-P is reporting that Lil Wayne and Mountain Dew will team up to fund a skate park here. No further details were mentioned. I'm not sure where it will be, but the Lafitte Corridor is a logical first choice. Awhile back, some Tulane people came up with a design for a skate park under the 610 viaduct in City Park... that would also be a good choice.

The floating skate park from Red Bull is not really adaptable to dry land without a ton of costly modification, so maybe they should keep it floating and permanently anchor it along Crescent Park (one more attraction in the park, completely free).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT View Post
It looks like the City and the WTC have made real progress. Let's hope this goes through and the city moves on the building (renovations or repurposing the site) before it collapses into the river.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...tory-building/
Progress on the WTC is looking promising, especially since the city government seems to be aggressively pushing this forward.

The location will either be hotel or residential. If it is residential, my only worry is that it would kill all hope for the nextdoor Canal Place Phase III tower, which is supposed to be residential too. It seems that project, which was re-announced post Katrina, has slipped back into oblivion. Below is a rendering from the management company's website. If it ever happens, I think it would be great if Canal Place/Riverwalk were connected via a pedestrian bridge, like other malls around the country are.

Does anyone know anything about it? Since the owners are local, you would think any secret couldn't be kept for too long.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 5:37 AM
TL;DR

That pedestrian bridge would block views down Canal. Any planning should seek to make the vista down Canal as open as possible, maybe with a tall, skinny monument or something at the end. I'm not advocating for the return of the Liberty Place Monument, but something architecturally similar, maybe commemorating civil rights pioneers. Dublin did something similar - after the IRA blew up a controversial triumphal column, they put up the completely bad-ass Dublin Spire in its place.

To be honest, I'd much rather have the WTC pressed back into service than to get Canal Place III built. An unoccupied building is a huge drain on the cityscape and the longer it sits unoccupied, the more pressure there is to rip it down.

The WTC isn't the world's greatest building (Edward Durell Stone was a hack who happened to have great connections) but it is distinctive and it has become a unique part of the skyline. That Canal Place tower is pretty crappy, and I'd really hope we could get something better than that in such a prominent location. Hell, build a mall expansion without a new tower and put a big glass box event space on top.

Last edited by ardecila; Mar 13, 2012 at 5:48 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 5:42 AM
-

The Vow actor is opening up a bar in New Orleans, appropriately to be named Saints and Sinners, since it will be near the infamous Pat O’Brien’s on Bourbon Street! Channing will soon remodel the space and open it up in the next few months.

http://perezhilton.com/2012-03-12-ch...s#.T17d7PVdATA

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 10:48 AM

I was at a bar in Mid-City yesterday and tookna survey being done by some grad students from New York. Most of the projects they mentioned were familiar- Lafitte Greenway, Lindy Boggs, etc., but she mentioned one I haven't heard anything about, which is that the former Robert on Broad is set to become something called "Food Shop Stop" or something. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That pedestrian bridge would block views down Canal. Any planning should seek to make the vista down Canal as open as possible, maybe with a tall, skinny monument or something at the end. I'm not advocating for the return of the Liberty Place Monument, but something architecturally similar, maybe commemorating civil rights pioneers.
Agreed about a monument needed to cap off the street. In 1838, the city planned to put a park at the foot of Canal Street, similar to Washington Square Park in NY, but the city kept getting delayed (and we thought the Riverfront Park was taking forever). I lifted this passage from John Smith Kendall's History of New Orleans:
Quote:
At the end nearest the stream (Mississippi River) was to stand a granite arch, surmounted by an eagle. A large central iron gate closed the arch, and there were two smaller gates at the sides. At the opposite end a similar arch was to be flanked by marble vases filled with flowers. Between these two arches rows of laurel trees were to be planted, in order that their shade might shelter a "serpentine" graveled walk, along the length of which benches would invite the citizen to "relaxation," if not to "amusement." Provision was to be made for the illumination of the square at night by gas, and in the center a fountain would dart its cooling waters up into the air. "This is but an imperfect description," admitted the Bulletin, from whose glowing account these details are extracted. The remaining distance back to Claiborne Street was to be adorned with granite pillars, connected with iron chains, a row on within side of the "neutral ground." The purpose of these barriers was, it seems, to prevent stray animals from intruding upon the "neutral ground." The posts and chains were of course to be interrupted at the intersection of the cross streets, but here were to arise the chief glory of the great thoroughfare. This was a series of statues of great men, statesmen and soldiers, the first of which was to ornament the square nearest the river and commemorate Robert Fulton, inventor of the steamboat.http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ENHNO/42*.html
While I'm being nostalgic... It's probably a good thing the arch didn't get built. With our 1838 foundation technology, it might have fallen into the river. Just yesterday I read a passage from a newspaper in the 1850s, after the fire at the first (and grandest) St. Charles Hotel, saying the fire was a good thing because the building had sunk 28" since it was built 15 years prior, and was falling apart.

Also, if the WTC site does get totally redeveloped, a new located will be needed for our Governor Galvez monument (though I'm not suggesting the foot of Canal Street)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
I was at a bar in Mid-City yesterday and tookna survey being done by some grad students from New York. Most of the projects they mentioned were familiar- Lafitte Greenway, Lindy Boggs, etc., but she mentioned one I haven't heard anything about, which is that the former Robert on Broad is set to become something called "Food Shop Stop" or something. Does this ring any bells with anyone?
There is a giant development coming to Broad but its an old Schwegmans. Maybe thats what she is talking about?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 12:32 AM

Before Katrina, Robert's leased some of the old Schwegmann's that were not leased by A&P/Sav-A-Center--like the Robert's that were on Annunciation and Elysian Fields. Old location on Broad could very well be the same development.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
There is a giant development coming to Broad but its an old Schwegmans. Maybe thats what she is talking about?
I guess, but it was the first I can remember hearing about it.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 4:48 AM
-

Quote:
New redevelopment on Broad Street planned for abandoned grocery store:

Heres a link to the city planning commission report: It is to include a grocery store, a restaurant, a healthy cooking education facility for Tulane, and a food processing facility on the first floor. Four office space are intended on the second floor.

http://cityofno.granicus.com/MetaVie...meta_id=136664

Sorry about the way these photos loaded.

Here is the project on Broad Street

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 6:40 AM
TL;DR

Design for the Broad St. "ReFresh Project" looks awesome. I get the sense that the community group is having trouble getting retailers interested, though.

source

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Design for the Broad St. "ReFresh Project" looks awesome.
Agreed.

Thanks for digging that up, tennis. If I could give out MVPoster awards, you would have gotten one long ago

Does anybody have any recent updates on this? I don't know when it was announced, but if it's linking to the old cityofno.com it must be at least what, more than a year and a half since it was announced? I know (ardecila) you say that you think they might be having trouble lining up retailers, but this is really the first I've heard of this.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 9:56 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Does anybody have any recent updates on this? I don't know when it was announced, but if it's linking to the old cityofno.com it must be at least what, more than a year and a half since it was announced? I know (ardecila) you say that you think they might be having trouble lining up retailers, but this is really the first I've heard of this.
The idea dates back to 2008-2009, when Broad Community Connections worked with people from several universities to develop the concept. Then they got some small funds to develop the idea further, hiring an architect and possibly purchasing an option on the site.

Since then, it's only logical that they've been working to attract a grocery store to anchor the new development. But if they had lured one, I'm sure we would have all heard about it by now.

There's really no reason for the community group to spread the word about this project without a grocery tenant lined up. No bank will finance the project without long-term commitments from tenants.

It seems like Sterling Farms (Wendell Pierce's store) would be a good fit for this site, if he can ever get it off the ground.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 4:37 PM
-

I dont know much other than it had gotten its waivers and city planning approval. I dont think they were in need of other tenants besides a grocery store. Its a block off Lafitte Greenway so I guess they are hoping that will help. Wendell Pierces store would absolutely be a perfect fit for this.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 4:38 PM
-

[QUOTE=Chris from N.O.;5626968]Agreed.

Thanks for digging that up, tennis. If I could give out MVPoster awards, you would have gotten one long ago

QUOTE]

Ill take my award in drinks, Thank you!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 6:29 PM

Reinventing the Crescent Update

I don't know if this website is new, or if I'm just seeing it for the first time, but at least it includes a timetable for completion of this phase of the park.

http://www.nola.gov/RESIDENTS/reinventingthecrescent

Mar-12 Meadow Plantings, Park Landscape
Apr-12 Parking Lots, Lighting/Striping
May-12 Park Furnishings
Jul-12 Substantial Completion
Sep-12 Targeted Grand Opening

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 7:47 PM
-

New RFP out from the New Orleans Building Corporation and The French Market Corporation thats pretty exciting.

Heres a link to the two parking lots that would be developed.

http://qpublic6.qpublic.net/qpmap4/m...ls+roads+lakes

The French Market Corporation and New Orleans Building Corporation have partnered to seek proposals from qualified respondents for the design and development of a multi-use, multi-story, parking facility on two City-owned parcels located along Elysian Fields Avenue. The first parcel is located between North Peters Street & Decatur Street totaling roughly 42,500 square feet and the second is located between Decatur Street and Chartres Street totaling roughly 48,500 square feet.
Overview
The French Market Corporation and New Orleans Building Corporation seek proposals from a qualified developer that:
1. incorporate street-level retail space to enhance the overall character and activity on Elysian Fields Avenue, Chartres Street and Decatur Street, respectively;
2. expand the number of parking spaces currently available at the existing surface parking lots;
3. provide for parking as required by the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance for proposed uses in the development;
4. offer increased parking capacity as deemed necessary to accommodate special events held at Reinventing the Crescent – Downriver Park, French Market and other nearby public spaces
5. carefully consider both the pedestrian/street level experience and traffic flow and be designed in accord with the character of the surrounding area, as well as all municipal planning/zoning and other agency regulations and requirements; and
6. proactively engage the surrounding community throughout the design and development process.

http://www.purchasing.cityofno.com/b...Url=activeBids

Heres the bid documents for the new NOPD 5th District Station:

Harrison Avenue Streetscape Bid documents:

Also in the past two weeks South Market District closed on more parcels.

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 14, 2012 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 8:35 PM

Quote:
New RFP out from the New Orleans Building Corporation and The French Market Corporation thats pretty exciting.
I've dreamed for years of the day when the city would do something with those two lots. I'm extatic the ground levels will be retail and include lots of parking. My only wish is that this development would be coupled with more than just parking on top/stores on the ground. I'd love for apartments, offices, or condos on top. I know the 50' height limit in the zoning prohibits this, so it won't happen.

Also, I predict this project (even though the city is pushing for it) will be an HDLC and neighbor nightmare. Not to mention the VCPORA army that is about to mobilize (even though nothing could be better for FQ businesses than more nearby parking). The absolute #1 reason more locals don't shop, eat, drink in the FQ is lack of parking.

The other reason I love this is because Elysian Fields is sooo under utilized and under capacity. The added development will take two forgettable huge lots, that should be prime real-estate, and turn them into something positive.

Speaking of huge lots, remember how the topic of a lack of big-box businesses in NOLA, and part of the problem is lot size, these are two perfect sites (way above the flood-zone) for a medium-sized development, like a grocery store in the heart of the Marigny!!! Walking distance to their customers, plenty of parking for people wanting to do everything else in the Quarter.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 9:37 PM
-

The city owns these lots and they will alow their development especially up to the height limit. Now as for architecture, they will defer to what the HDLC and the developer come up with. Interestingly I wonder if they will choose the same developer for both parcels or split the difference.

Anyone have any interesting parking mid rises they have seen that have blended in well with nearby historic areas? BTW Sean Cummings proposal is actually across the street. Guess Eugene will be complaining again about his poor views being lost! lol

Here are some parking garage designs I like:

This is what I dont want!

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations