HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 7:01 PM

Riverplace Parcel 3 (2 buildings) | 6 and 13 floors | 140’-10” | Complete

Emphasis mine.

Quote:
Conflict? Gerding Edlen seeks city deal; CEO on city board

Building design for RiverPlace project by Gerding Edlen and REACH Community Development.

By Brad Schmidt | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Portland's newest urban renewal commissioner, Mark Edlen, could hardly contain his enthusiasm.

It was January, and Portland Development Commission staff members wanted guidance from the agency's appointed board about how to develop city-owned land just south of downtown.

"I'm really excited about the site," board member Edlen told staff during a meeting. "It's a killer site."

Gerding Edlen's proposal is remarkably similar to the project that Edlen described in January.

It includes a 30,000-square-foot grocery store and 200 units of housing for low-income renters in one building. Separately, 100 units of workforce housing would be constructed in a second building, with 20 of those for lower-income renters.

Gerding Edlen would serve as the lead developer, but REACH Community Development would develop, own and operate the 200-unit building.

Gerding Edlen is competing against two other well-known development teams.

Influential developers Homer Williams and Dike Dame – who also helped remake the Pearl and the South Waterfront – have proposed a similar mixed-use project with BRIDGE Housing Corp. It includes a grocery store, 162 units of market-rate housing and 203 units of affordable housing.

Capstone Partners, which developed Grant Park Village, has proposed a deal involving Innovative Housing Inc. and Home Forward, the housing authority that serves Multnomah County. The project would feature 110 market-rate units and 215 units of affordable housing.

Capstone offered the most specificity about its retail plan. "Fred Meyer wants to be here and is thrilled to be part of a much larger project," the proposal reads.

...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 10:27 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Emphasis mine.

...continues at the Oregonian.
Wish they were bigger buildings with more units, but will be a good addition to that area nonetheless.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 10:59 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Fred Meyer wants to be there, even with another grocery store being built downtown? Well THAT'S interesting. It seems like a tough spot for a grocery store because it's kind of sort of walkable to SOWA, yet it's enough of a distance that it'd be annoying to walk it in the rain. I'd say the same for most of Riverplace. Yes, it's on the streetcar line, but so is Safeway, Whole Foods and the forthcoming Hub store. Interesting, interesting, interesting.

I'd love love love to see one of these plans get built on that site though. That location would fill in such an ugly gap between the end of Riverplace and the beginning of SOWA.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Fred Meyer wants to be there, even with another grocery store being built downtown? Well THAT'S interesting. It seems like a tough spot for a grocery store because it's kind of sort of walkable to SOWA, yet it's enough of a distance that it'd be annoying to walk it in the rain. I'd say the same for most of Riverplace. Yes, it's on the streetcar line, but so is Safeway, Whole Foods and the forthcoming Hub store. Interesting, interesting, interesting.

I'd love love love to see one of these plans get built on that site though. That location would fill in such an ugly gap between the end of Riverplace and the beginning of SOWA.
At 30,000 sq ft, I doubt Fred Meyer would be interested, so it would be interesting to get their take on it. They did have some interest in locating elsewhere in SOWA but my understanding is that they walked away when they realized a store that small would make little sense. Their average store runs 130,000 sq ft and the grocery dept takes up around 75,000 st ft. Would make way more sense if it was a QFC. It's hardly one stop shopping when have a store that small.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
At 30,000 sq ft, I doubt Fred Meyer would be interested, so it would be interesting to get their take on it. They did have some interest in locating elsewhere in SOWA but my understanding is that they walked away when they realized a store that small would make little sense. Their average store runs 130,000 sq ft and the grocery dept takes up around 75,000 st ft. Would make way more sense if it was a QFC. It's hardly one stop shopping when have a store that small.
Fred Meyer i.e. Kroger has QFC as well, which is a much smaller store. They are also rumored to be launching a new brand....a more boutique like organic market with a very small footprint. I believe they were looking at a location in SOWA of less than 10K under a different brand....but still Kroger.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 7:34 PM

Despite the image and headline, this is Riverplace (not South Waterfront).

Quote:
PDC picks Homer Williams' team for $93M affordable housing project in South Waterfront

The Portland Development Commission will kick in at least $19 million toward a $93 million housing project that will bring more than 200 affordable housing units to the South Waterfront.

In a release this week, PDC and and the Portland Housing Bureau announced that they have selected the team of Bridge Housing Corporation and Williams & Dame for the development of RiverPlace Parcel 3 in the North Macadam Urban Renewal area, a two-acre site at 2095 S.W. River Parkway.

The selection comes after a request for proposal process back in April, which garnered three responses.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 7:38 PM

Here's an image and description of the Williams & Dame proposal, from the Oregonian, earlier this month:

Quote:
Influential developers Homer Williams and Dike Dame – who also helped remake the Pearl and the South Waterfront – have proposed a similar mixed-use project with BRIDGE Housing Corp. It includes a grocery store, 162 units of market-rate housing and 203 units of affordable housing.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Despite the image and headline, this is Riverplace (not South Waterfront).
I've thought about this too. I don't know that "Riverplace" is large enough to be it's own neighborhood. I expect it to tag onto the South Waterfront as the area grows into a powerhouse district with all the OHSU and Zidell developments creating a desirable neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 3:39 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I've thought about this too. I don't know that "Riverplace" is large enough to be it's own neighborhood. I expect it to tag onto the South Waterfront as the area grows into a powerhouse district with all the OHSU and Zidell developments creating a desirable neighborhood.
It's funny you should mention that.

At first glance, I was confused by maccoinnich's comment about this being Riverplace, not SOWA. I always thought of SW River Parkway as the dividing line where Riverplace ends and South Waterfront begins... but that's obviously not the case since the nearby Residence Inn uses Riverplace as part of its name.

This proposal for the lot on the south side of SW River Pkwy is a reminder that there's value in location. I'd assume South Waterfront has more value as a location than Riverplace, and since this lot is near the border between the two, they'll sell it as being part of SOWA. Both neighborhoods would benefit greatly by this being built, especially once SOWA starts filling in further northward.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 4:07 AM

The southern boundary of "Downtown" is the I-405 / I-5 loop. As such Riverplace is in Downtown.

South Waterfront doesn't have it's own neighborhood association - it's part of South Portland, which also includes areas like Lair Hill and Macadam / Corbett. As the OHSU Schnitzer campus and Zidell property develop Riverplace and South Waterfront will be much less separated than they are now, and will probably feel more like a continuous urban area. It might make sense for them to linked together as one neighborhood association, separate from either Downtown or South Portland.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 4:55 AM

Riverplace Parcel 3 (2 buildings) | x' | 6 and 14 floors | Proposed

Ankrom Moisan Architects have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss Riverplace Parcel 3:

Quote:
Proposal is for two towers on single site with a single level of parking below grade (173 spaces). One tower will be 6 stories with retail and grocery space at ground level and 5 levels of apartments (162 units.) second tower will be 12 stories with retail, residential amenities and parking for grocery (65 spaces) and ten stories of affordable apartments above for 204 units.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 6:10 AM

So where is this in relation to the other two? It seems like all the lots are already taken now.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 8:31 AM
Karma Police

"Proposal is for two towers on single site with a single level of parking below grade (173 spaces). One tower will be 6 stories with retail and grocery space at ground level and 5 levels of apartments (162 units.) second tower will be 12 stories with retail, residential amenities and parking for grocery (65 spaces) and ten stories of affordable apartments above for 204 units."

This is a great location to add 366 units. But since when is 6 stories considered a "tower"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerPower View Post
So where is this in relation to the other two? It seems like all the lots are already taken now.
The "other two" what?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 6:19 PM

I'm assuming this is the lot next to that large power transformer (thing), right?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 7:10 PM

Yes

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:40 AM

Quote:
One tower will be 6 stories
I love that six stories is considered a "tower".

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxf View Post
I love that six stories is considered a "tower".
I'm pretty sure the Washington Towers Apartments at SE 15th and Stark don't exceed 3 stories. ;-) My favorite ironic name in the whole city.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 11:10 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
I'm pretty sure the Washington Towers Apartments at SE 15th and Stark don't exceed 3 stories. ;-) My favorite ironic name in the whole city.
Actually those towers are only 2 stories. My wife use to live there back in our dating days.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 3:41 AM

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 8:19 PM

RiverPlace Parcel 3 development proceeding

By: Stephen Alexander in Real Estate and Development November 2, 2015 12:20 pm

The Portland Development Commission is moving forward at RiverPlace Parcel 3, and finishing nearly two decades of work to develop the North Macadam urban renewal area.

“We’re sort of nearing the end of our participation in that area,” said Eric Jacobson, senior project manager for the PDC. “This is a key part to making it a complete neighborhood by adding the affordable housing.”

The plan is to construct on RiverPlace Parcel 3, a 2.01-acre site at 2095 S.W. River Parkway, two buildings with a single level (173 spaces) of parking below grade. One building will be six stories with retail and grocery space at the ground level and five levels of apartments (162 units). The second building will be 12 stories with retail, residential amenities, 65 spaces of parking for grocery shoppers and 10 stories of affordable apartments (204 units).

The property has sat vacant for a number of years. The PDC and the Portland Housing Bureau earlier this year selected BRIDGE Housing Corp./Williams & Dame as the development team. The architect will be Ankrom Moisan Architects.

The project’s estimated total cost is $93 million, with at least $19 million coming from urban renewal funds. Stakeholders hope that construction begins by the end of 2016 and finishes within 20 months.

The PDC, the Portland Housing Bureau and the development team have entered into a due diligence and negotiation phase with the goal of reaching a purchase and sale agreement for the property. The intent is to bring the agreement before the PDC’s board by the end of the year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland