HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
275 spaces.... that is unfortunate. I suppose if you can afford one of these places you can afford a car too.
Based on the pre-app posted by maccoinnich this project won't contain any residential units.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
275 spaces.... that is unfortunate. I suppose if you can afford one of these places you can afford a car too.
If they max out the FAR available before transfers (conceivable, at 23 floors) they can fit about 430,000 sq ft of office and retail space on the site. That's works out at 0.64 spaces per thousand square feet. By way of comparison Houston "no zoning" Texas has a parking minimum of 2.5 spaces per thousand square feet of office space. Even if they don't max out the FAR this will be a very large building where most people working in it wont have access to parking.

And speaking of parking, I'm glad to see that they're proposing the access from SW 9th and not Oak or Stark.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 4:50 PM

This location will have great views of the city and West Hills from that height and location. Great to see the city building outside of the traditional '80s core around the Portland Building

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
If they max out the FAR available before transfers (conceivable, at 23 floors) they can fit about 430,000 sq ft of office and retail space on the site. That's works out at 0.64 spaces per thousand square feet. By way of comparison Houston "no zoning" Texas has a parking minimum of 2.5 spaces per thousand square feet of office space. Even if they don't max out the FAR this will be a very large building where most people working in it wont have access to parking.

And speaking of parking, I'm glad to see that they're proposing the access from SW 9th and not Oak or Stark.
but, but... but Houston has AWESOME freeways, man!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
but, but... but Houston has AWESOME freeways, man!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 1:58 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I spent two years living in Houston. I haven't missed it. Not even once. I miss Smoothie King and Kolatches. I miss the cheap but amazing steaks. But the city? Houston is only a city in the most vague sense of the term. It's all just one big endless sprawl where mostly anonymous people pass each other on their way to anonymous places that all look the same, mostly because they are the same. I used to wonder why they even bothered giving suburbs names there. They should have just given them numbers, because they felt like numbers. When I lived in Houston, I felt like a number. I never felt a sense of place there. It didn't feel like a community. I liked Houstonians, but I hated Houston.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I spent two years living in Houston. I haven't missed it. Not even once. I miss Smoothie King and Kolatches. I miss the cheap but amazing steaks. But the city? Houston is only a city in the most vague sense of the term. It's all just one big endless sprawl where mostly anonymous people pass each other on their way to anonymous places that all look the same, mostly because they are the same. I used to wonder why they even bothered giving suburbs names there. They should have just given them numbers, because they felt like numbers. When I lived in Houston, I felt like a number. I never felt a sense of place there. It didn't feel like a community. I liked Houstonians, but I hated Houston.

I agree. Ditto for Dallas. Returning to the NW was an answered prayer.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 10:02 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I really look forward to this block finally being built out and extending the energy of the Brewery Blocks / Powell's Books and the redevelopment of SW Stark. The block is a rare parallelogram among Portland's mostly-square blocks. I hope the designers take advantage of that shape to form the building. There could be a curved NW corner at 10th and Oak, as a gesture to the historic Belluschi-designed Federal Reserve Building. Also the ground floor plan retail space is labelled as Market. I wonder if they are talking a supermarket chain.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 3:46 AM

I was way off. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Also, Houston and freeways. Laughed pretty hard here.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 6:40 AM

Sorry to get anyone's hopes up by bringing this back to the active threads, but is it safe to assume this project is dead?

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 8:33 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNorthwest View Post
Sorry to get anyone's hopes up by bringing this back to the active threads, but is it safe to assume this project is dead?
Next Portland has it listed as inactive. Though with the attention the West End will be getting in the near future, I can't imagine this site staying a parking lot for long.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNorthwest View Post
Since we're on this topic of possible dead projects, and to avoid bringing other threads to the top, does anyone happen to know the status of these projects?

1715 NW Couch St - New six story residential project (SERA)
84 NE Weidler St/51 NE Weidler St - Full block redevelopments, including 14-story tower
SE 7th & Burnside
Naito Broadway Apartments - west side, under broadway bridge, 5 over 1
Ankeny Apartments
320 NE Lloyd - 14-story tower, possible event venue
ODOT Blocks

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland