HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:01 PM
Community Guy

Exceptional tour of transport. thanks

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:20 PM

I was originally miffed by the "way out" thing, but then someone reasoned with me that it may actually be more logical, due to the fact that most of these signs are located far from the actual exits. Instead they are literally pointing the way you get out, rather than a specific door.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 8:48 PM
Stuck in the Suburbs

I am jealous of you Canadians. Very jealous.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 9:09 PM

Great pics!

I ride the Canada Line nearly everyday and i love it! The good news is capacity can be easily increased simply by increasing the frequency. Currently peak frequency is once every 3 minutes, but it can be eventually increased to once every 90 seconds. Also the stations can be expanded by 10 meters (35 feet) for another c-car to be added.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 9:23 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
capacity can be easily increased simply by increasing the frequency. Currently peak frequency is once every 3 minutes, but it can be eventually increased to once every 90 seconds. Also the stations can be expanded by 10 meters (35 feet) for another c-car to be added.
90 seconds is about as low as you can go, because you need time for trains to slow down, stop, unload passengers, load up again, start, and get up to speed. If you're at capacity and you're already running every 90 seconds, then what?

We have this very problem in Washington. At the peak of rush hour we cannot increase train frequency any more than we already have, because of how long it takes to get people on and off at the major downtown stations. We have mostly 6 car trains, with platforms long enough for up to 8 cars, so the most obvious solution is to buy more rail cars and go to 8 car trains. There might be some benefit to changing the design of rail cars to have 4 or 5 doors instead of 3, but that's less desirable because it reduces the number of seats you can provide.

Anyway, like I said, I love the off-peak frequency of SkyTrain, but the shorter trains definitely limit the peak capacity considerably, as compared to more traditional subway systems.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
90 seconds is about as low as you can go, because you need time for trains to slow down, stop, unload passengers, load up again, start, and get up to speed. If you're at capacity and you're already running every 90 seconds, then what?
When they get to that point, I guess they'll just have to expand the stations so that another car can be added to each train.

Quote:
We have this very problem in Washington. At the peak of rush hour we cannot increase train frequency any more than we already have, because of how long it takes to get people on and off at the major downtown stations. We have mostly 6 car trains, with platforms long enough for up to 8 cars, so the most obvious solution is to buy more rail cars and go to 8 car trains. There might be some benefit to changing the design of rail cars to have 4 or 5 doors instead of 3, but that's less desirable because it reduces the number of seats you can provide.
So tired of the 6 car trains during rush hour. I switch from the yellow to red every afternoon at Gallery Place and the 6 car trains are generally fine if they keep the headways no bigger than 3 minutes. But when they happen to have a gap of 5 minutes between red line trains during the afternoon rush, it's an immense nuisance having a 6 car train pull in after that lengthy gap. Typically the cars are jammed full, meaning it takes a long time for people to exit the train, thereby leaving barely any time to squeeze customers waiting on the platform onto the train before the doors close. Hate hate hate Gallery Place. It would be nice to avoid switching to the red line at Gallery Place and instead switch at the Convention Center to an entirely new subway line that travels west along M Street through Dupont/Golden Circle area.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 9:56 PM

Quote:

Anyway, like I said, I love the off-peak frequency of SkyTrain, but the shorter trains definitely limit the peak capacity considerably, as compared to more traditional subway systems.
Well the line currently hauls between 100 000 and 110 000 people daily. The potential increases built into the system currently (doubling frequencies and adding a third car) can take capacity up to around 250 000 - 300 000 riders daily.

And by that time a major retrofit could be done (which gives a nice excuse to modernize and re-vamp the entire line) or as many have suggested, relief LRT lines would be built down major corridors to the east and west of the line.

So in all honesty I have never seen it as a problem. During the Olympics, without the third car and max frequencies (to enable max frequencies more train sets would need to be ordered), the line was able to handle well over 200 000 daily.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 4:40 AM

Quote:
90 seconds is about as low as you can go, because you need time for trains to slow down, stop, unload passengers, load up again, start, and get up to speed.
Expo Line actually ran at 80s peak headway during the Olympics. I think current Expo/Millennium Line system can run as frequent as 77 seconds. The main constraints is not the intermediate stations. It is the reversing of trains at terminus station.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 12:52 AM
Stuck in the Suburbs

Quote:

Yeesh, they STILL run 6 car trains at rush hour?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaCJ View Post
I am jealous of you Canadians. Very jealous.
It's less a Canadian thing and more a Pacific North West 'thing.' Trust me.

Great tour. I have really enjoyed your photo essays.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 6:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Once you know where you're going, SkyTrain is *awesome*.

The main reason it's so awesome is that even at off-peak hours trains are super frequent. They're all automated, which means they don't have to pay a unionized operator to drive each one, which means they're cheaper to operate, which means they can run more trains for not much more cost. Even in the middle of the day trains were like 3 minutes apart. It was i-m-p-r-e-s-s-i-v-e.
A lot of the light rail systems built in the last 20-30 years could learn a thing or two from Vancouver about service frequency. Vancouver is not a large metro (2.3 million), yet still maintains very high service frequency on it's system throughout the day, ESPECIALLY on the interlined stretches (downtown to New West, and downtown south to the south end of the city limits). They build these new systems with comparatively terrible service frequency, then everyone wonders why they do under 30,000-40,000 ppx/day. People DO NOT want to stand around waiting, nor do they want to plan their trip according to a schedule. They want to show up whenever they show up, and have a train almost immediately.

Service frequency is everything. Even more important than speed (except for very long trips).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 10:04 PM

Wow, great set and very informative, I even learned a thing or two!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 5:41 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguoustraveller View Post
I was originally miffed by the "way out" thing, but then someone reasoned with me that it may actually be more logical, due to the fact that most of these signs are located far from the actual exits. Instead they are literally pointing the way you get out, rather than a specific door.
I believe the reasoning behind "Way Out," which is the term first used in London, was to not confuse people with "Exit" as in Emergency Exit.

But in all honestly, it doesn't make sense in Vancouver. Why? Because we use three terminologies: Exit, Out, and Way Out. Exit was used in the Expo Line (the first line), Out for the Millennium Line (second line built), and Way Out for the Canada Line (third line built). Not surprisingly, each of this line used its own signage design. Coincidence? I think not. Lack of a design plan and system consistency? I think so.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos