HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 7:52 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Literally, speak of the devil

I do like how the new office district of Chicago is moving further and further west, but that should be no excuse for this half-assed base. They didn't even bother to cover the parking ramp
What's with the hatred for the base? The slabs are cantilevered out from the core so the slabs are literally floating like a Donald Judd sculpture. It's super badass, like if Mies designed the spiral ramp on the Hancock with the aid of modern post-tensioning.

Plus it looks like the actual parking spaces are concealed inside the tower, and the exposed part is just a ramp... so most of the time, you wouldn't see any cars and the ramp would just appear like a sculptural element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
So this is totally speculative, but could this proposal be for a Crate & Barrel HQ move to the city? They own the building on Ashland for CB2 offices, and they must be considering a move to the city – the West Loop would make sense from an identity standpoint, having a strong design culture (not getting into the whole commuter line access war).

It would also explain the pool a bit more than a conventional tenant. They might use the roof deck for staging sample outdoor furniture, or hosting consumer-facing events.
Yes, I think that's what we're looking at. I have to imagine C&B is considering a move to the city, given how many creative types they employ. They must be struggling to attract talented employees.

However... I think Brininstool + Lynch wouldn't be posting this on their site if it was an active proposal. I guess it could have been posted by mistake, but typically you'd wait for the client to make a public statement before publishing renderings. The fact that this was posted at all makes me think Crate & Barrel has moved on from this proposal and is exploring other options.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 8:30 PM

the criticism of the base is the same id apply to any crappy podium building. its shit design regardless of how you slice it. the half in/half out is a small novelty, but comparing it to donald judd is a bit of a stretch (whose appeal is really the contrast his art has with its environment. devoid of that, it really is just boring concrete cubes).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 8:32 PM

The gold standard of sculptural parking decks.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 8:39 PM
TL;DR

^ Well, yes. That's what I thought of.

Although H&deM had the luxury of Miami Beach's climate, and Miami Beach's supercars... You could drive around South Beach in a brand new Lexus, and people would still think you're ratchet.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 8:47 PM

that said, if they can find a way to clad the building in Judd's stainless, that i could get behind

http://www.texasmonthly.com/wp-conte...7/09/1358.jpeg

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/1b...0_0.00_jpg_srz

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 10:41 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yeah, let's end this nonsense about Wolf Point not having infrastructure. I mean what the actual F$*#? The reason Wolf Point is valuable is because it is smack dab in the middle of the gnarliest knot of infrastructure for 1000 miles in any direction. There is no more central infrastructure node than Chicago's Loop in the United States outside of NYC and maybe LA (and even there it's much more spread out). Wolf Point lies like 500' away from the Loop and sweeping vistas accented by multiple freaking L lines is one of it's key selling points. Wolf Point is closer to an L stop than Trump Tower, Vista Tower, Aon Building, and the Hancock Building. Please tell where we should be building tall, dense, buildings if not on a site like Wolf Point?

I'm sorry, but any claim that this site lacks infrastructure is borderline moronic. Just look at google maps satellite, the area is dominated by huge sinews of railroads, I would be hard pressed to find a site that is more built up than this...
Absolutely spot on. That site is like a display stage primed and ready to host a significant architectural masterpiece on a grand scale and we're caught up in non-excuses.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 1:50 PM

[QUOTE=ithakas;7644796]The gold standard of sculptural parking decks.

http://images.adsttc.com/media/image...jpg?1375395637

Can we get this at the bottom of 1000 s. Mich. please?

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Dec 8, 2016 at 8:12 PM. Reason: REMOVED UNCREDITED IMAGE - USE HYPERLINKS INSTEAD

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What's with the hatred for the base? The slabs are cantilevered out from the core so the slabs are literally floating like a Donald Judd sculpture. It's super badass, like if Mies designed the spiral ramp on the Hancock with the aid of modern post-tensioning.

Plus it looks like the actual parking spaces are concealed inside the tower, and the exposed part is just a ramp... so most of the time, you wouldn't see any cars and the ramp would just appear like a sculptural element.
Exactly, thank you.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 5:32 PM

OK, have to say I totally agree too... finding a way to make the inherent function of a garage explicit (rather than attempting to disguise it) arguably could produce the most beautiful result possible...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 5:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ goldberg certainly didn't shy away from celebrating the typically mundane art of automobile storage.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 7:31 PM

One of the coolest buildings ever built in Chicago was the old 60s garage on Wacker that put like 12 floors of cars on display with only vertical cables as a barrier to keep people and cars from falling from the structure.

Edit:

http://forgottenchicago.com/pics/parking/parking061.jpg

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Dec 8, 2016 at 8:13 PM. Reason: HYPERLINKS ARE MORE APPROPRIATE FOR IMAGES NOT RELATED TO DISCUSSION TOPIC

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:50 AM
Chicago

Mr. Wow = Bryce Harper?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:51 AM
Chicago

215 W Hubbard & 3Eleven

December 08, 2016

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 5:17 AM

215 W Lake

Nov 28

The North side, east face - how to maximize your location and height

Dec 2
N/E corner again.

Dec 6
The N/W corner

The South face

S E

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 7:53 PM

[QUOTE=Via Chicago;7644413]office proposal at fulton/ashland

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/12/7/...ninstool-lynch

The (now ex) owner of the parking lot owns several buildings nearby including the one I work in. The maintenance guy said they recently made several major improvements to the lot including adding curbed islands, gates, mulched beds, an underground sprinkler system, etc. and he thought it was odd that his boss sold it.

As far as parking lots go, this one's damn fine. I hope this proposal triggers movement on some of the less attractive lots nearby.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 8:04 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

River North boom skeptics

Someone who lives in a building next to mine in River North came out with a few people in a small group and was pointing to Exhibit (720 N Lasalle), the 640 N Wells building, and the Gino's East tower. He seemed displeased that they were building so much and actually said, "Mark my words, in five years all those will be 20% vacant."

I almost laughed out loud, but managed to bite my tongue. I seriously doubt there will be any trouble filling the apartments. Worst case, the owners may not be able to charge quite as much as they'd like, but I strongly believe there will be the demand to fill them and am frankly surprised anyone would feel they'd flop that badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
That can't be corrected. But I'll never understand what motivates people to drive on Canal or Kinzie...I mean unless you live right there and need to run car-essential errands. They're local streets surrounded by high capacity streets designed for rush hour traffic.
When I said I commute via that, I meant via bicycle. I don't even own a car.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Someone who lives in a building next to mine in River North came out with a few people in a small group and was pointing to Exhibit (720 N Lasalle), the 640 N Wells building, and the Gino's East tower. He seemed displeased that they were building so much and actually said, "Mark my words, in five years all those will be 20% vacant."

I almost laughed out loud, but managed to bite my tongue. I seriously doubt there will be any trouble filling the apartments. Worst case, the owners may not be able to charge quite as much as they'd like, but I strongly believe there will be the demand to fill them and am frankly surprised anyone would feel they'd flop that badly.
Funny. Anything could happen, I guess, but probably won't happen soon. The central area of Chicago (downtown plus a few other small areas outside) has grown by over 40,000 people since 2010 (or about 20,000 depending on if you compare to the ACS or Decennial Census). Even if the growth got cut in half, at the worst case you'd still be seeing a growth of a few thousand people per year in the central area which is more than enough to support these towers but also some new ones.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Maybe that crystal ball of his can see the next Powerball numbers if he can make such a specific prediction five years out...

It does seem that there is going to be an apartment glut for a year or two but River North towers in prime spots aren't going to be the buildings having trouble filling up for at least near the rents they want.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 11:28 PM

Prentice

Dec 6

The grates are where concrete is poured in once the rebar is set and the form walls closed.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 4:23 AM

226 E Ontario

Dec 7

Insulated and clad

NO street parking !

Matching coats and tape - only off Michigan ave.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations