HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Standard Life Centre III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 2:01 AM

I walked by tonight and they have a big sign facing Bank Street from the courtyard for leasing opportunities. I checked Morguard's site and they don't have anything up yet (that I can find). This is one of the more promising projects in the city IMO and looks 10x better than that embarassment of a proposal over at 150 Elgin.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
I walked by tonight and they have a big sign facing Bank Street from the courtyard for leasing opportunities. I checked Morguard's site and they don't have anything up yet (that I can find). This is one of the more promising projects in the city IMO and looks 10x better than that embarassment of a proposal over at 150 Elgin.
While i am not a big fan of the elgin street building i will say i am very excited about what is going on downtown with all the new condo porjects and office projects.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 5:57 PM

from today's OpenFile:

What happened to the Bank and Slater skyscraper?

for me, it's the most interesting office building design has ever built in Ottawa

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 3:55 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanfromnowhere View Post
from today's OpenFile:

What happened to the Bank and Slater skyscraper?

for me, it's the most interesting office building design has ever built in Ottawa
Would you happen to have another link, this one isn't working. I really wish this project would have happened.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 5:08 AM

Was it officially shelved?

I agree it's a great design. Hope it ends up happening

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrix View Post
Was it officially shelved?

I agree it's a great design. Hope it ends up happening
City website says "project on hold"
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__7TR0N3

I wish they would reopen that little plaza and snackbar on bank.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 6:26 PM
Citizen-at-large

My understanding was that Morguard was marketing this building at the same time as 150 Elgin / Performance Court. They got tenants to sign on to 150 Elgin, and then decided to shelve this one until that is built out & fully leased.

Unless some large federal department decides it needs a sudden move within the core, I expect it will be 2 - 3 years before Morguard starts marketing this again, and at least 5ish before shovels hit the ground. By then they may need to update the design - but it was a great one for Ottawa back when they proposed it.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentgaulois View Post
Would you happen to have another link, this one isn't working. I really wish this project would have happened.
that's because Ottawa OpenFile site is down... sorry, but I am not sure if there is another working link...

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanfromnowhere View Post
that's because Ottawa OpenFile site is down... sorry, but I am not sure if there is another working link...
It was suppose to be temporary, but it's been over a year. What's up with that?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 2:14 PM

Excerpt from Ottawa's top landlord: Bernie Myers takes the reins of Morguard in the capital

Quote:
The firm wants to make its next major project a property at the southwest corner of Bank and Slater streets, he said. Morguard can build 400,000 square feet of space there, he said, but it first needs to line up a large private tenant or major government department.
http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Non-re...-the-capital/1

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 3:15 PM

Wowzers...all that nay-saying about Performance Court being built in a down market was wrong... half leased and not even finished, fully leased by next year. That's amazing for any decent sized office building in any North American city. I'm excited to see what they propose for this lot! I hope they get a lot of feedback on the outdated architecture of Performance Court and build something a little more avant-garde here.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 4:14 PM

I'm a fan of the overall design of the current proposal but man! Needs more height. Otherwise it will look like another fat building contributing to the real canyon effect. Campeau fought against the ridiculous height limits in the 60s and 70s (and again in the 80s until the market crash), time for someone else to pick up the torch.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 4:55 PM

I'm not a BIG fan of the existing design... It's not extremely horrible but its too big (lot-to-lot), short and lacks architectural design. The only thing I do like is how the building would integrate the facades of the old brick walls of Bank St.

But yeah, this one needs a redesign...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 5:03 PM

A refresher can't hurt. (or can it?)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I'm not a BIG fan of the existing design... It's not extremely horrible but its too big (lot-to-lot), short and lacks architectural design. The only thing I do like is how the building would integrate the facades of the old brick walls of Bank St.

But yeah, this one needs a redesign...
Totally on the same page. I like how they're integrating the old buildings with the new, and I would like to see semi-transparent, bluish glass (think Toronto's Shangri-La, Four Seasons, or Bay-Adelaide Centre). I don't really like this design, it doesn't seem like the different walls really work well with each other - like they're trying to put too many different designs in one. I hope they do go back and tweak it a bit.

I'm also hoping they can add height (10 stories, bringing it to the 27-floor maximum) would be nice, I think.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 6:26 PM

Even with the current design this would still be one of the top three best looking downtown office buildings, if not the best in my opinion. But an update wouldn't hurt.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Even with the current design this would still be one of the top three best looking downtown office buildings, if not the best in my opinion. But an update wouldn't hurt.
Remember the half dozen updates of 150 Elgin? There were some pretty horrible looking things that came out of it. Luckily, IMO, the best design was built.

On this one, I would essentially keep the design but with better set backs from the street and a taller building in the 25-30 story range. I might even push 35-40, but that might be too optimistic.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 8:48 PM

Found this on Altus InSite, don't know if old or new rendering:

http://www.altusinsite.com/index_en....Find+Buildings

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawarc View Post
Found this on Altus InSite, don't know if old or new rendering:

http://www.altusinsite.com/index_en....Find+Buildings
At first, I was excited to see this rendering (many months ago), but now I'm not quite sure I like this. Other than filling in a gap on Bank Street, it really has nothing special going for it. It looks a lot like the new EDC building at O'Connor. Not to say that it's a bad building, it's still quite nice and even if it did get built I'd be excited about it.

This doesn't have great presence on Bank Street. As it says on the first page of this thread, the entrance would be off of Slater and have retail on Bank, which is great.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 10:39 PM
Still optimistic

I wish that developers would stop pushing buildings right up to the property line - it won't make our canyons any better or our streets any more human or bright. I wish someone would just have a eureka moment and discover podiums...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa