HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 6:44 PM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Al Burj actually looks nice I think, of course it could just be the night picture but it looks better than Burj Dubai in its respective picture.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Aug 8, 2005, 12:11 AM
BANNED

and who's gonna fill them??

are you guys trying to copy pyongyang?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 12:47 AM
Sebastian

^ That's kind of what I'm thinking. They are beautiful buildings, but this is like the Egyptian's building those massive pyramids for only 1 person. Doesn't make sense, economicaly that is.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 3:03 AM
JACKinBeantown

I like this one.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 3:12 AM
Because I'm Clever!

That Al Burj is hideous. I wouldn't want to curse any city on Earth with that piece of crap. Plus, it's name translates literally into "The Tower." How lame is that?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 4:47 AM

I would love to see a current skyline shot of Dubai...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 6:08 PM
Chaos Machine

Is anyone else suspicious of the heights of some of these buildings?

especially these three:
Almas Tower: 65F, 1,148 ft
Al Durrah 2: 78F, 1,082 ft
Abbco Rotana Hotel: 72F, 1,092 ft

Their spires don't look that tall in the renderings. The Almas Tower is especially ridiculous... that spire clearly isn't more than about a tenth of the building's height, and it is 1,148 ft tall, with only 65 stories? Even generously assuming its spire is 200 feet, which it doesnt look to be in the renderings.. in order for the height to make sense it has to have almost 15 foot floor heights... Even the most luxurious office buildings typically don't have their floors that high.
The same goes for Al Durrah 2, it would have to have nearly 14 foot floor heights to make any sense...

These are clearly all residential towers, and even taking into account that the spire adds height, the heights really don't make sense, unless they are building all of their residential structures with office space sized floor to ceiling heights, which seems to defy economic sense.

Whats up with this?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2005, 2:48 PM
Navyweaxguy

I actually love all of these buildings. I was in Dubai in '98 and loved it. I knew back then that this city was taking off quick. Errr, if I only had the money to invest there.

Yes, we need a new skyline shot.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2005, 3:36 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
That Al Burj is hideous. I wouldn't want to curse any city on Earth with that piece of crap. Plus, it's name translates literally into "The Tower." How lame is that?
The name might be lame as can be, but I like the tower itself. Kinda Courascant-y.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Aug 14, 2005, 8:16 AM

yeah I think Al-Burj looks great.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2005, 3:44 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Added the Park Square Tower even though there's no render. It's serious enough now to be added to the list as lots of major newspapers have reported about it (ie: gulfnews, etc...)

BTW I don't really like Al Burj myself. Although it looks great at night it's way out of scale. Burj Dubai seems more elegant to me.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2005, 10:23 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP
I would love to see a current skyline shot of Dubai...
Me too.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2005, 8:33 PM
What could go wrong?

Does anyone in Dubai design a building that isn't 300m +? All of these buildings in the renderings are so damn skinny. The owners must have a shitload of money and big egos to build what seems to be not very financially smart projects. I mean look at the Emirates Towers - 59 floors over 1000 ft tall. That is a pretty low floor to height ratio.

Either way, very impressive the amount of construction happening there right now. I would love to see some of those in these parts but....
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 3, 2005, 10:16 PM

STR, I sense a little tension. A day at the spa might help.

I actually like the building. Its height seems excessive given the surroundings, but I like the design better than the Burj Dubai.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2005, 6:16 PM
HEIGHTS UNKNOWN

This is crazy! Whatever happened to America being the skyscraper queen of the world? All the rest of the countries in the world are prospering and progressing and we are regressing! Something wrong with all of this picture.

All of these plans and proposals make me extremely jealous.

Garry

I looked, and beheld, a towering monolith piercing up to the sky and towards the clouds, with the crown covered with fog, clouds and smoke, seemingly "enshrouded in mystery."

-Garry B. Coston, 2006/April/08-

http://www.freshstartreferral.com - Help us to help the needy & underprivileged.......thanks for your donations!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2005, 6:18 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

^ Welcome to the global economy.... I think sometimes here in the US we are so blind to see how rest of the world has progressed, the American media loves to portray other countries in a dark light so we are unaware of everyone else moving forward... I personally think its great.:hilarious

Old Posted Sep 4, 2005, 6:21 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Oh & I would also love to see a current rendering of the Dubai skyline!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2005, 6:26 PM
HEIGHTS UNKNOWN

I guess that's what oil can do for you. I was told, and think I read somewhere of investigation and research of drilling and oil prospects off the Atlantic coast of Florida; just think if they found oil off the coast of say, Jacksonville; then Jax would probably become America's new Dubai! Well, maybe....I can dream.

Garry

I looked, and beheld, a towering monolith piercing up to the sky and towards the clouds, with the crown covered with fog, clouds and smoke, seemingly "enshrouded in mystery."

http://www.freshstartreferral.com - Help us to help the needy & underprivileged.......thanks for your donations!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2005, 6:40 PM
HEIGHTS UNKNOWN

Dubai....breathtaking plans and propositions

I just went to skyscrapers.com and here is the rundown on Dubai:

a) Tallest building at present is the emirates office tower - 355 meters or 1,163 feet tall, with only 54 stories!

b) They (Dubai) currently have 3 buildings over 1,000 feet, 9 buildings over 600 feet, and 12 buildings between 400 and 500 feet tall! The number of buildings from 200 feet to 400 feet are numerous.

c) Dubai currently has 230 buildings, that is, skyscrapers under construction. Currently of the skyscrapers over 1,000 feet not yet built, 6 are under construction, and 5 are approved. That's 11 soaring to heights unknown in the very near future! Astounding to say the least!

d) The rest of the skyscrapers from 200 to 999 feet tall, there are numerous scrapers under construction at the present time, and an equal number approved and proposed. They are too numerous to list here. See skyscrapers.com for more info!

This is all overwhelming and breathtaking to say the least. It appears that the rest of the world is becoming more futuristic, very quickly, than America. The scrapers I saw in the movie Star wars reminds me of what Dubai is building; I don't see these type of visions in skyscraper building and construction in America.

Hopefully we'll get our economy back on track and get back in the thick of things.

Garry

Old Posted Sep 4, 2005, 8:02 PM
Run with Love

I am still waiting for Dubai to Crash and Burn. I cant see it working. If emporis is to be trusted the country is smaller then New Jeresy in both respects.
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations