HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
But the signature upgrade will be the addition of a white-tablecloth restaurant in either the main lobby or on a parcel next to the tower at Peachtree Street and North Avenue.
This would make a huge difference. I've never liked that large plaza, and they'd have guaranteed Fox traffic. Half a block away, you know the Spotted Dog? If you only went when they first opened and haven't been back because the food was terrible and the beer list laughable.... try it again. They have a bunch of good micros on draft now and the food is way better. And they've got a pretty good patio too.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 6:00 PM
Reliable Source

That plaza would need a fundamental redesign.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 9:35 PM

I think it's great that they are talking about doing this. I love the idea of re-fitting retail at some of these older office buildings. First it was 999 Peachtree, then Colony Square (btw, anyone know when they are moving forward with those?) and now Bank of America Plaza. Very exciting stuff.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason21atl View Post
I think it's great that they are talking about doing this. I love the idea of re-fitting retail at some of these older office buildings. First it was 999 Peachtree, then Colony Square (btw, anyone know when they are moving forward with those?) and now Bank of America Plaza. Very exciting stuff.
I've also heard that the Campanile building at Peachtree and 14th is going to be repositioned on the ground floor for retail.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 1:39 PM

^^ I hope that happens. I think retrofitting existing buildings will be crucial to having enough critical mass in the short term and that building is a prime candidate.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 6:44 PM

I was thinking today about restaurants that would do well on the Mile. I know that many of you think that restaurants need to be on side streets but what do you think about a destination restaurant locating on Peachtree? Something like a 2nd Emeril's location or a new and improved Atlanta Fish Market?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
I was thinking today about restaurants that would do well on the Mile. I know that many of you think that restaurants need to be on side streets but what do you think about a destination restaurant locating on Peachtree? Something like a 2nd Emeril's location or a new and improved Atlanta Fish Market?
well, if you listen to alot of forumers, there's not much place for restaurants on the MM. i happen to be a strong advocate that they should be there interspersed among the retail. i like the idea of an updated fish market. my choices would be:

houstons
ra sushi
brasserie la coze
murphys
rathburns steakhouse
taquera del sol
vini vidi vici
nan thai
watershed
soto soto
micks (yeah, thats right...MICKS!)

Last edited by atl2phx; Oct 8, 2007 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:59 PM

If you're talking about 'Destination' restaurants, I'd rather have restaurants that don't exist already....otherwise, I could just go to their existing destination.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 8:22 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

I think that restaurants like the old Harry's in a Hurry or Eatzi's would be a good addition...and some home-grown eateries - maybe a flagship Chik-fil-a? Or how about an urban, multi-story Home Depot?

I'm hoping that on some of the sidestreets and mixed throughout there are at least some everyday convenience-type stores...like mom-and-pop groceries or the style of a corner drug store. There should be an element of convenience for residents and not just destination eating and shopping.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 8:57 PM
Urban Explorer

An urban Home Depot? Are you kidding?

I can't imagine that a lot of those restaurants would ever look for locations on the Midtown Mile. Vini Vidi Vicci seems just fine in their 14th Street digs, there is a Mick's on Peachtree already (next to the Pleasant Pheasant), and there are 2 Chick-fil-As in the area (one at Colony Square and one in the AT&T complex).

A few of the other ones may do well, but you can only have so many restaurants. I feel like Midtown is pretty well saturated with dining choices already.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 9:27 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
An urban Home Depot? Are you kidding?

I can't imagine that a lot of those restaurants would ever look for locations on the Midtown Mile. Vini Vidi Vicci seems just fine in their 14th Street digs, there is a Mick's on Peachtree already (next to the Pleasant Pheasant), and there are 2 Chick-fil-As in the area (one at Colony Square and one in the AT&T complex).

A few of the other ones may do well, but you can only have so many restaurants. I feel like Midtown is pretty well saturated with dining choices already.
I have seen pictures of urban, multi-level Home Depot locations...they do exist. I'll see if I can find a picture of one.

I was kinda playing about Chik-fil-a, but it would be neat to see some Atlanta based retailers or restaurants investing in this Midtown concept...and not with a regular run-of-the-mill looking store front that you can find anywhere, but something eye-catching and unique. Maybe Peasant could have some variation on Mick's...or Metrotainment with another one, different from the Einstein's/Joe's/Cowtippers line...or even a perky Hooter's.

Last edited by sprtsluvr8; Oct 9, 2007 at 1:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 9:32 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Found one on flickr...this one is in Chicago and has a couple of levels of parking on top behind the signage.

Check out the photo set on flickr titled "Urban Retail". There are some great pics of several different urban retail locations.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 11:34 PM
Tr@nsPl@nt

I've always thought a flagship Waffle House would be nice.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 1:53 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Okay...upscale and fancy.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Found one on flickr...this one is in Chicago and has a couple of levels of parking on top behind the signage.

Check out the photo set on flickr titled "Urban Retail". There are some great pics of several different urban retail locations.
this HD in NYC is very cool:

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplnt View Post
I've always thought a flagship Waffle House would be nice.
Totally! This would be a great 24-hour restaurant on the MM. That diner on North is the only one now, isn't it?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 6:37 PM

How 'bout a flagship Dunk n Dine? Maybe they could even have al fresco dining like the one on Cheshire Bridge!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 3:39 PM

I know there was some concern expressed about 12th & Midtown because of bland appearance of this image.

The images of the retail on the RJTR website might be a little more encouraging.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I know there was some concern expressed about 12th & Midtown because of bland appearance of this image.

The images of the retail on the RJTR website might be a little more encouraging.
Uh-oh. It's starting to look like Streets of Buckhead, with all these little faux thinga-majigs.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 11:20 PM

Another Tower for the Mile

Lutheran worshippers support mixed-used tower

By KEVIN DUFFY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 11/06/07

A Midtown church and a developer have formed an unusual partnership to do a master plan for a key Peachtree Street location that would include building a mixed-use tower.

Congregants at Lutheran Church of the Redeemer voted Sunday to enter into an agreement with CRB Realty to sell more than an acre at 4th and Peachtree streets, just north of the Fox Theater.
Louie Favorite/AJC
(ENLARGE)
The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer has an agreement to sell land where a mixed-use tower will be built.

CRB plans to erect a highrise up to 40 stories tall with space for 40,000 square feet of retail, a boutique hotel, offices, and luxury apartments or condos.

CRB also will work with the church to fund an overall development plan for the entire 3-plus acres the church has owned along Peachtree. The planning will include the acreage CRB wants to buy on the north side of 4th, plus the land across the street where the church building is located.

Pastor Michael Foss said the church's support of vertical development means it's committed to having a significant profile in Midtown.

"Our mission to make disciples for Jesus Christ in the 21st century will be enhanced by this partnership, the dedicated planning and the opportunity to bolster our presence on Peachtree," Foss said.

He said the church can become a landmark even in a neighborhood of tall buildings. Look at the skating rink at Rockefeller Center in New York, Foss said.

"Rockefeller Center is surrounded by very high buildings," Foss said. "Regardless of the elevation of the buildings around us, we can create that sense of place with the church as its center."

More than 500 church members took part in the partnership vote, and nearly 89 percent supported the idea, Foss said.

CRB President Scott Brown said the opportunity to master plan a sizable tract "in the heart of the Midtown Mile — that's extra significant." CRB has been involved in the development of Atlantic Station.

Susan Mendheim, president and CEO of the Midtown Alliance, called the proposed mixed-use tower and master plan "a homerun for the Midtown Mile."

The Midtown Mile is 14 blocks along the Peachtree Street corridor from North Avenue to 15th Street targeted for 1 million square feet of street-level retail development.

Tom Ventulett, a founding partner of Thompson, Ventulett, Stainback and Associates (TVS), will work on the master plan based on input from the church and CRB.

The plan is expected to be completed in a year. After that, construction of the tower can begin, provided church members are still supportive. The building could be finished in the fall of 2010.

TVS designed the Woodruff Arts Center and Technology Square in Midtown, the Georgia Aquarium downtown, and helped develop Atlantic Station's master plan.

CRB will pay $13 million for the church land, Brown said. Total investment in the 625,000-square-foot tower will be in the range of $150 million, he said.

Conceptual plans call for 150,000 square feet of office space and 200-250 condos or apartments.

Foss said the church doesn't have firm expansion plans yet. But its wish list includes possibly building additional space for worship and other functions, or a preschool that could evolve into an elementary school.

About 3,000 people worship at the 55-year-old church building.

"We are a growing, thriving church, and we're growing younger," Foss said. "We have a variety of dreams that we believe would be very positive for Midtown and for us."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta