HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:27 AM
Still optimistic

Visiting Edmonton in June!

I will be coming in the early half of June (1-20th) and only one question is on my mind: what to do? What to do?WHAT TO DO?
Could someone inform me if there are any must sees, must dos and don't dos?
Festivals, Shops, anything that could make me see the city for what it is would be appreciated! (excluding bars!)

Your neihborhood optimistitian

AyOp.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:37 AM
Community Guy

first order of business - meet up with some of us to take you out.

places to see:

-legislature grounds
-RAM
-Alberta Art Gallery (temp location)
-ride the Edmonton Queen (the boat...the boat)
-Walk the river valley
-take the trolley from 109st/jasper - whyte
-Walk whyte (both at night and in the day)
-Hawrelak Park
-Louise Mckinney Park
-take in a ball game or eskimo game
-shop/walk/explore 124st
-Saturday downtown farmer's market (9am-3pm)

Drinks:

-Vintage
-Fluid
-Halo
-Bank
-Suede
-Black Dog
-Billiard Club
-Devlins
-O'Byrnes

Food:

-Accent
-blue plate diner
-Furusato
-Culina's
-Bacon
-T'Zin
-Colonel Mustards

If you like, I will organize a night out. PM me

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:40 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:47 AM
Kevin Folds Five

^ UHHHH... West Edmonton Mall

hahah just kidding, don't go there

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:49 AM
Community Guy

^the where?

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 2:23 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Ugh. I was just back for my unplanned bi-annual visit, and the place just continues to decay (the mall, not the city).

Why, you ask? After 4 days of constant rain in Calgary, ANYTHING was an improvement. After all of an hour in the mall, we ended up doing some refinery touring. I've never been through Ft. Saskatchewan before, pretty town.

Yes, we're O&G nerds. I don't think AO will be too interested in that sort of stuff, however.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 4:01 AM

I visited Edmonton for an afternoon on May long. Went to the World Waterpark, for the sake of tradition really. We used to go once a year when I was a kid/teenager. Somehow it has lost its lustre, but I still had a good time.

Sometime I want to visit E-town for more than a day or two and take in some sights/events to satisfy my urban tastes. Also to check out some construction sights first hand, like the SLRT work.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 5:26 AM
Community Guy

WEM is decaying but 1000 x the mall of even 5 yrs ago.

I cant believe i just said that

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 3:21 PM

Let us know when you are coming and Cold will organize a meet somewhere.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 3:49 PM
arf

Grab a a turkey sandwich to go with a dessert and a coke from Upper Crust and head to either Louis McKinney or Hawreluk to eat picnic-style.

Hit up Khazanna's lunch buffet for the black lentils. rool: Or try Garage Burger for something more along the diner spectrum.

Hit up the Pyramids at Giza. Even if you don't like plants and don't go in, the views of downtown from around the pyramids are nice.

Eat outside at the tiny little Greek restaurant on 124th street that has about six tables in total (can't remember the name, help me out someone.)

Hit the mall because, well, it's a part of Edmonton and it has shaped a lot of perception (rightly or wrongly.) Not seeing it would be doing a disservice to one's understanding of the city in general.

If time and weather permit and you like outdoorsy stuff and can find someone to tag along, try a canoe rental for a float/paddle trip from Devon to Louis McKinney. It takes a full day, but it's fun. Pack a lunch and enjoy the day. Especially the views of the apartments along Jasper Avenue when you're almost done.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 4:14 PM

I would recommend pretty much all of Cold's advice - check out the hidden gems in the city that most people here seem to be unaware of. There are a lot of pockets of cool things, but they are all so spread out or hard to find unless you already know they are there.

Fort Edmonton Park might be another consideration as well.

I would recommend visiting West Edmonton Mall on your very last day here, though.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
I visited Edmonton for an afternoon on May long. Went to the World Waterpark, for the sake of tradition really. We used to go once a year when I was a kid/teenager. Somehow it has lost its lustre, but I still had a good time.

Sometime I want to visit E-town for more than a day or two and take in some sights/events to satisfy my urban tastes. Also to check out some construction sights first hand, like the SLRT work.
Was dragged to see WEM's sister the MOA in Bloomington MN last summer and was quite astonished to find that the whole damn mall literally seems to shake and viberate. As for the mall itself it is what it is, nothing more mostly less!

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 4:46 AM

Fairly thorough list so far.

I would also recommend much of the places around 102 Ave and 124th... Original Joes or the Urban Diner are great for a quick bite or a frosty pint. For more of a date, wander next door to Manor Cafe (125 street just south of 102 Ave).
Also recommend Rice Howard Way, just a hop, skip, and a jump away from Churchill Square (lots going on in that square through the summer months). Along RHW, I've always enjoyed Sherlock Holmes and It's All Greek to Me.

Another interesting Farmer's Market in the area is in central St. Albert. It happens on Saturdays, it's open air, and the peameal bacon sandwiches served there are simply to die for.

If you like live music, some good venues are:
The Starlite Room/The Velvet Underground (a little noisy in the basement at times)
The Powerplant @ U of A
Blues on Whyte (in the Commercial Hotel)
The Blue Chair Cafe
The Yardbyrd Suite (if you like Jazz)
Festival Place (Sherwood Park)
Sometimes, there are shows at the Heritage Amphitheater in Hawrelek Park, but you'd have to look into that beforehand.

If you can, experience the River Valley on either a bike or rollerblades, it allows you to explore more efficiently than on foot (though that is far from a bad option). Great views of the city can be had at Forest Heights Park (south side of the river, around 83 street and 101 Ave).

I'd say West Edmonton Mall should be visited, but don't blame us if you're disappointed. It's not what it used to be. It's in dire need of a facelift at this point (though the World Waterpark is pretty cool for someone who's never been there before)

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 5:23 AM

Rent a bike for a day and take advantage of the awesome river valley.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 7:53 PM

I used to live in Edmonton - my suggestions:

- take a walk across the High Level Bridge, ride the streetcar over the bridge. If you like history - visit Fort Edmonton Park and ride the train and streetcars there.

- Explore the downtown using the pedways - visit the Shaw Convention Centre and City Hall - both neat architectural buildings.

- Ride the LRT and ride a trolley bus (before they're gone)

- Whyte Avenue area is neat to explore

- only go to West Edmonton Mall to ride the Rollercoaster

- walk or cycle in the river Valley trails - you can go for hours - hilly and fun

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 8:06 PM
Community Guy

again, as much as a dislike WEM, the store selection is bar none (under 1 roof) in this country.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:03 AM
Sand kicking airport guy.

Its funny that everyone bashes WEM, yet most airline crews from the U.S that visit the place seem to love it...

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:58 AM
Big Dog

It's true. Most visitors are truly impressed by the mall.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 2:05 AM

I'm not going to lie, I love WEM for the variety of shops. But, as mentioned by many, the mall needs a facelift.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 2:13 AM

I love WEM because nowhere else in the city can touch it for vibrancy (which may make baby jesus cry). On a saturday it hums like nowhere else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton