HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 2:58 AM
still here

North Dakota hits population record

I know it's not much comparatively, but it's good news for ND. Sixth fastest state last year (percentage wise).

Census: ND population at record high
By: Teri Finneman, INFORUM
Published December 21, 2011, 11:42 AM

BISMARCK – North Dakota’s population has reached an all-time high, exceeding the state’s previous record set in 1930, the governor announced Wednesday.

Gov. Jack Dalrymple said he welcomes the latest U.S. Census Bureau estimates that show North Dakota’s population has reached 683,932 residents. The previous record was 680,845.

“After years of population decline, it’s welcomed news to see that our economic growth over the last decade continues to keep North Dakotans home and that we are attracting new residents throughout the state who come for good jobs, a stable economy and a quality of life that is second to none,” Dalrymple said in a statement.

Following Washington, D.C., in terms of percent increase between April 1, 2010, and July 1, 2011, were Texas (2.1 percent), Utah (1.9 percent), Alaska (1.8 percent), Colorado (1.7 percent) and North Dakota (1.7 percent), a Census release stated.

North Dakota was 37th in percent growth between the 2000 and 2010 censuses.

North Dakota’s population has grown during seven of the last eight years, the governor’s office said. The state’s population has increased by 50,000 residents from a decade low of 632,809 reported in 2003.

North Dakota’s new population estimates show an increase of 11,341 people over the Census Bureau’s official count in April 2010. Members of the North Dakota Census Committee said today’s estimates may be lower than the state’s actual population growth.

The United States as a whole saw its population increase by 2.8 million over the 15-month period to 311.6 million, the Census news release said. The country’s growth of 0.92 percent between April 1, 2010, and July 1, 2011, was the lowest since the mid-1940s.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 9:28 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Wow, shows what I know. I'd always assumed that North Dakota - like most other states - had posted gains every decade since it's statehood. Boy, was I wrong. It appears that ND has yo-yoed quite a few times during the previous century. And, not usually thinking about annual growth (since it's an estimate), my first thought was why they were talking about "hitting" a record, since I thought every year yields a new record. lol

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 5:28 PM
Honored Member

What strikes me is that a state as big as North Dakota only has 684,000 people with nearly 60% of those people consolidated into the four "major" urban centers of Fargo, Bismarck, Minot, and Grand Forks.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 6:45 PM

I had mistakenly thought North Dakota had 1 million+ people. Crazy to think a big slice of that population lives in F-M.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 4:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Congrats North Dakotans on the positive growth and new population record. Keep it up!
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest