HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 12:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Video and photo check-in on Maggie Daley Park progress, care of Chicago Tonight. http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2014/...gie-daley-park
Thanks Wierd! I could see my equipment in the Fieldhouse, but no one was working Hopefully they shot this during lunch or else the project may be further delayed Ha Ha.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 12:57 PM
Urbane observer

Don't confuse your Perkinses (or your Roots).

Dwight Perkins was part of Perkins, Fellows & Hamilton, later Perkins, Chatten & Hammond.

Perkins & Will was established by Dwight's son Lawrence B. Perkins and Philip Will in 1935.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 1:03 PM

Riverwalk

4/8

4/9

4/10

4/10

4/10

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:14 PM

New renderings of the DePaul stadium courtesy of Chicago Architecture Blog:

Unfortunately no new renderings of the hotel tower portion of the project.

More details here: http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...-to-neighbors/

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Unfortunately no new renderings of the hotel tower portion of the project.

More details here: http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...-to-neighbors/
Neighbors seemed to shit on everything. Meanwhile Pat Dowell wants a park added.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...-official-says

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:31 PM

Oh boy, its something....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeviewer View Post
Looks like plans for the all retail development will be revealed tonight at SELVN meeting

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...-lakeview-plan

Don't know how to post pics, check out the link. Yikes.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...evelopers-say#

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeviewer View Post
Don't know how to post pics, check out the link. Yikes.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...evelopers-say#
Yikes? I think it looks pretty good. You have to love the fact that Mariano's is embracing multi use formats, first with Ravenswood and now this.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:39 PM

From lakeviewer's link:

From r18tdi's link above:

That data center is going to be quite tall.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
Yikes? I think it looks pretty good. You have to love the fact that Mariano's is embracing multi use formats, first with Ravenswood and now this.

Previous proposals for comparison:

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:22 PM

I dont know if anyone has been to the new Ravenswood Marianos, but the design and flow of the building is horrendous. I dont drive but I've heard complaints from several people about the garage and traffic flow issues. And once inside the store is massive but still feels cramped thanks to all the food courts/wine bars theyve dropped in the middle it. Aisles are inexplicably more narrow than the space would suggest as well. Dosent help that this being Lincoln Square the requisite double wide strollers are everywhere. I found the whole thing maddening.

Would have made more sense to give the kiosks their own food court separate from the rest of the store to ease the flow issues. But even then, theres no clear exit once checking out and once again you need to either take the stairs which isnt really obvious or wait for an elevator (which never seemed to arrive). Escalators are seemingly only up? And then theres the outdoor beer garden/patio which has a gorgeous view of the parking ramp.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:56 PM

Kind of off topic, but thought this was very interesting. 3d printing of houses! Maybe a low cost solution to lack of housing? Would not provide much of the way in neighborhood charm, but maybe could provide cheap housing to areas in need on the south/west sides eventually.

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-chi...ent=emailshare

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I dont know if anyone has been to the new Ravenswood Marianos, but the design and flow of the building is horrendous. I dont drive but I've heard complaints from several people about the garage and traffic flow issues. And once inside the store is massive but still feels cramped thanks to all the food courts/wine bars theyve dropped in the middle it. Aisles are inexplicably more narrow than the space would suggest as well. Dosent help that this being Lincoln Square the requisite double wide strollers are everywhere. I found the whole thing maddening.

Would have made more sense to give the kiosks their own food court separate from the rest of the store to ease the flow issues. But even then, theres no clear exit once checking out and once again you need to either take the stairs which isnt really obvious or wait for an elevator (which never seemed to arrive). Escalators are seemingly only up? And then theres the outdoor beer garden/patio which has a gorgeous view of the parking ramp.
I live within about a half block and have already been a couple of times. I don't have any complaints about the store itself but will concede that the traffic flow in and out is a complete failure of planning. As a pedestrian and user of the metra station, I've already had several close calls with motorists who are trying to quickly turn into the complex in order to avoid backing up Lawrence. Westbound auto traffic that wants to turn north into the complex has no place to wait. They choose to either back up lawrence/expose themselves to being rear ended, or aggressively nose their way into pedestrians. This is a heavily trafficked pedestrian corner. I'm guessing a serious pedestrian accident is imminent.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post

I agree about the layout problems in that store. I'll need to visit again when it's a bit less busy, but overall I found the layout rather awkward and disjointed.

As you mentioned, the exit experience for pedestrians and cyclists is pretty bad. I couldn't immediately find the elevator nor a proper place to leave my cart before walking downstairs.

While there's plenty of bike parking, you have to cross the three lane parking ramp to get to it. When I visited, a good number of cyclists opted for sign poles and trees in front of the store instead.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Previous proposals for comparison:
This is a heinous monstrosity. Way, way too massive for that stretch of Broadway. And every elevation is too monolithic at that. 280 cars driving in and out of there? No way. This is terrible.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:09 PM

More kind of Cabrini news. An old Dairy building on Chestnut between Franklin and Orleans next to the Brown/Purple Line tracks is getting renovated and being turned into a 46 room hotel. Not sure what though - the company currently owns and runs a hostel in Wicker Park called Urban Holiday Lofts (http://www.urbanholidaylofts.com/). My guess is that this will be like that

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...l-makeover.php

Photo from Curbed:

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:23 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Mmmm, lobster ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
All of the signs are off both this building and the hardware store to this south. Demolition coming?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 7:05 PM

200 N Michigan - April 8th

Above

Below

On the side

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 8:53 PM
1st Ward

That new Mariano's looks pretty good, especially considering what its replacing (an empty lot). Overall, I'm pretty impressed with Mariano's... a much better grocer than Dominick's has been, especially in its last decade when the chain was just left to rot by Safeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Above

I'm excited for the new tower, but still sad to see this old limestone stalwart go. Wish they could have incorporated the facade in the new design somehow.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 9:53 PM

Zurich North America HQ kicks off with $333 million loan

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...3-million-loan

This is a pretty huge dinosaur for the suburbs. It's the largest single use office building in Chicagoland since 2001, and the largest single use office in the US this year.

Schaumburg had to kick in $100 million to make it happen though. I wonder if they had looked at moving to the city or they always wanted to stay in Schaumburg. I'm sure Rahm would have tried hard to get them to move here. 820,000 square feet would have been a new large tower downtown.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 11:56 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Zurich North America HQ kicks off with $333 million loan

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...3-million-loan

This is a pretty huge dinosaur for the suburbs. It's the largest single use office building in Chicagoland since 2001, and the largest single use office in the US this year.

Schaumburg had to kick in $100 million to make it happen though. I wonder if they had looked at moving to the city or they always wanted to stay in Schaumburg. I'm sure Rahm would have tried hard to get them to move here. 820,000 square feet would have been a new large tower downtown.
Cool looking design, but what a waste in territory. Should have shot that sucker straight up and made it the tallest building in the metro area outside of the city.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development