HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 2:09 AM

Hmmm... That looks like it's going to be fairly attractive Projects.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 8, 2009 at 2:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 8:09 AM
加油

What is the address of the WCF in Sandy?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
Because call centers need to be cheap to build and operate. land values prevent them for the most part in urban cores. Plus, it is okay that suburban communities get jobs. It leads to a more improved suburb if situated right.
I don't think suburbs need jobs. It just leads to more sprawl and more drive time to disparate locations around the valley instead of central locations, making it hard to plan for things like mass transit and other options. I worked briefly at eBay in Draper many years ago and almost no one lived near there. There were no other businesses nearby for lunch, errands at lunch hour and such. Most of the employees I knew lived near downtown.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 12:37 PM

West Valley cleanup effort showing signs of progress, officials say

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705275243,00.html

...Around the city, 43 percent of homes had at least one code violation, according to a survey conducted last summer. With nearly twice as many code enforcement officers now working to purge those problems from within the city, that number dropped to 27 percent, a new survey released last month showed...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I don't think suburbs need jobs. It just leads to more sprawl and more drive time to disparate locations around the valley instead of central locations, making it hard to plan for things like mass transit and other options. I worked briefly at eBay in Draper many years ago and almost no one lived near there. There were no other businesses nearby for lunch, errands at lunch hour and such. Most of the employees I knew lived near downtown.
Sprawl exists. It will always exist. There is nothing that will make sprawl go away. However, there are things that can happen to lessen the impacts of sprawl. One of those is having a land use pattern that supports options, including the distance people need to commute to work. Good paying jobs in every community are essential to making places, even suburbs, more sustainable. restricting land use to residential, even if it is high density, makes it more difficult to efficiently serve a community at all levels, from street maintenance, to retail services, retail sales, health services, and yes, even mass transit. Jobs alone will not do it, but they are key cog.

You point out the biggest problem with the suburbs communities: They tend to want a very limited amount of land uses. That is what leads to more sprawl, more energy consumption, longer drive times, increased air pollution, and all negative things associated with sprawl.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 6:56 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Speaking of West Valley has anyone notice the new 3-story hotel that is going up right next to the E-center? I drive right by it everyday for work and notice that there is a water slid that comes out of the side of the building. Kind of weird. Never seen a hotel with a water slid coming out of it before. LOL
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Sprawl exists. It will always exist. There is nothing that will make sprawl go away. However, there are things that can happen to lessen the impacts of sprawl. One of those is having a land use pattern that supports options, including the distance people need to commute to work. Good paying jobs in every community are essential to making places, even suburbs, more sustainable. restricting land use to residential, even if it is high density, makes it more difficult to efficiently serve a community at all levels, from street maintenance, to retail services, retail sales, health services, and yes, even mass transit. Jobs alone will not do it, but they are key cog.

You point out the biggest problem with the suburbs communities: They tend to want a very limited amount of land uses. That is what leads to more sprawl, more energy consumption, longer drive times, increased air pollution, and all negative things associated with sprawl.
Ditto to that Cololi

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Speaking of West Valley has anyone notice the new 3-story hotel that is going up right next to the E-center? I drive right by it everyday for work and notice that there is a water slid that comes out of the side of the building. Kind of weird. Never seen a hotel with a water slid coming out of it before. LOL
Here's a link to an article about the development:

http://www.allbusiness.com/construct...1472074-1.html

It will be a Staybridge Suites and a Holiday Inn Express. It's got a pretty good location, good visibility from I-215, close to the airport, and right on a future TRAX stop for the West Valley Line.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 10:55 PM

From the press release it seems like this will be an excellent project for that particular area. I like the water park amenity.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 3:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:

We can stop sprawl! through smart growth and the implementation of urban growth boundaries, like in Portland.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 4:38 AM
Exit 298

But Portland needs growth boundaries. There's ample water and plenty of room for septic tanks. That means you get thousands of square miles filled with "rural sprawl" (McMansion on 2 acres).

Here in Utah we already have growth boundaries:
  • Access to water.
  • Mountains
  • Wetland "no build" areas.
  • Access to water.
  • Access to water.
  • Access to water.
  • Access to water.

The cost of utilities drives up construction costs high enough that most new developments connect to existing ones, and are usually 1/4 acre lots or smaller ... which is fairly dense compared to the northwest, mid-west, south, etc. where water is more accessible.

It's like L.A. It gets a bad rap for being "sprawly." But actually it's very egalitarian. Both the poor and rich live on similar sized lots. Unlike the east where the poor live in tiny apartments and the rich live on sprawling estates.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 7:18 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Here's a link to an article about the development:

http://www.allbusiness.com/construct...1472074-1.html

It will be a Staybridge Suites and a Holiday Inn Express. It's got a pretty good location, good visibility from I-215, close to the airport, and right on a future TRAX stop for the West Valley Line.

Thanks for that link. I had no idea that it was going to be two hotels. All this time I thought that it was one big hotel.

Looks like these guys are planning on building a hotel in downtown somewhere also from what I read.

"development company that has also built hotels in the International Center and near the airport as well as in Tooele and a new project being planned in downtown Salt Lake City."

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
We can stop sprawl! through smart growth and the implementation of urban growth boundaries, like in Portland.
My notion of sprawl is development extending out from a core where the variety of land uses found in a neighborhood is reduced to a small handful. Even Portland has elements of sprawl. I see some areas of Beaverton for example that could be picked up and placed in South Jordan. Where my inlaws live (Beaverton) reminds me of 10600 South and State in Sandy, only with a narrower street. It is your typical suburban sprawl type of development: large big boxes set behind a huge parking lot on a busy road with an integrated curb gutter and sidewalk. The residential neighborhood behind it has two access points and contains curvy streets that end in cul-de-sacs. I'll post an image from google earth if I get around to it. The Portland area has done a better job of managing growth than most places that grew up during the age of the automobile.

Smart Growth is all about managing growth in an economical, evironmental and responsible manner. It does not eliminate sprawl. It only improves it. I suppose if it improves it enough than it would no longer be sprawl. What smart growth cannot do is change the opinions of consumers. Although the opinion of consumers is changing slowly and suppliers are starting to provide more options, there is still a fair number of people who want 12,000 square foot lots in a neighborhood of 12,000 square foot lots without any multi-family residential or commercial uses that you can walk too.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 6:13 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyiliang View Post
What is the address of the WCF in Sandy?

100 W. Towne Ridge Parkway (approximately 9700 South)

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 2:09 PM

Big land deal finalized at Kimball Junction
-
Purchase helps preserve important Park City entryway

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_1138779...ce=most_viewed

Preserved Open Space at entrance of Park City

by justthismoment

Last edited by delts145; Jan 11, 2009 at 1:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 6:52 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 7:36 PM
Chairman

That is some spectacular scenery. It reminds me of a mini version of the Shenandoah's here in Virginia.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 8:11 PM

^^^^^ Do we have to bust out pics of the mighty Wasatch in response to your puny Shenendoah's? Just kidding, Shak..

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 8:33 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
^^^^^ Do we have to bust out pics of the mighty Wasatch in response to your puny Shenendoah's? Just kidding, Shak..
I was waiting for a response as such.

At least we have more trees on our mountains... and plenty of fall folliage... the Wasatch definitely has more skiing options.

...luv you too wren.

Are there any homes up there?

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Jan 8, 2009 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 8:56 PM

It all depends what mountains you go to. In southern Utah the forrests are quite thick and stretch for milles. My favorite mountains are the Uintas most continous land above tree-line in the lower 48 states.

not to mention over 30 13,000+ peaks

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West