HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 4:39 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
Some new renders for 950 E. Third Street, in the Arts District:
clean af!

and re: Native Orange's post I agree about ever increasing ped activity. The s**tboxes play a large role in that as well imo. I think soon we may have to see some road diets and sidewalk widenings - they are getting quite crowded!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:08 PM

FYI, those renderings of 950 E. 3rd Street are a little bit outdated. The buildings have been rearranged, as indicated by the renderings seen below:

http://urbanize.la/post/mixed-use-co...-arts-district

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:31 PM

The Red/Purple line station at OSF will do wonders for this area. Seems like such low-hanging fruit but I have heard no mention of this small project for Metro. Sounds like it will only happen around the time of the Purple Line extension completion.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
The Red/Purple line station at OSF will do wonders for this area. Seems like such low-hanging fruit but I have heard no mention of this small project for Metro. Sounds like it will only happen around the time of the Purple Line extension completion.
Last I heard an Arts District extension was 10 years out at the earliest, so right around the completion date for the first phase of the Purple Line extension. Although there has been talk of two stations - one at OSF and one near the new Sixth Street Viaduct - apparently a Sixth Street station would be difficult to implement.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Last I heard an Arts District extension was 10 years out at the earliest, so right around the completion date for the first phase of the Purple Line extension. Although there has been talk of two stations - one at OSF and one near the new Sixth Street Viaduct - apparently a Sixth Street station would be difficult to implement.
Why build one at Sixth Street anyway when you could just have it cross the river there and start long journey to Whittier?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 8:47 PM

Regarding the City West tower isn't their some kind of Nimbyism forming from neighbors in 1100 Wilshire still? From what the main HOA president told me a few months back: Nothing can be built over the height of the pool level to the south or over 18 stories, the height of the Fugly parking garage. Have issues been resolved?? He seemed hellbent on making sure it was 100% opposed. Nice infill tower though!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram3000 View Post
Regarding the City West tower isn't their some kind of Nimbyism forming from neighbors in 1100 Wilshire still? From what the main HOA president told me a few months back: Nothing can be built over the height of the pool level to the south or over 18 stories, the height of the Fugly parking garage. Have issues been resolved?? He seemed hellbent on making sure it was 100% opposed. Nice infill tower though!
Unless they own the lot or have a covenant recorded regarding that lot, nothing like that can be enforced as far as i know.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 11:59 PM

It just angers and confuses me when urban dwellers become suburban NIMBYs

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:28 AM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Renderings revealed for the Bixel Residences

36-story, 409-foot tall tower at Bixel and Ingraham Streets with 422 apartments and roughly 5,600 square feet of retail space.

Adjacent seven-story building will contain a 123-key hotel and retail, reportedly a Home2Suites by Hilton.

NICE!

Looks to me that DTLA is crossing the 110. Makes me wonder if there is need for better pedestrian amenities over that artery... something pleasing and enjoyable to cross.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:32 AM

A mini freeway cap between 7th and Wilshire would be perfect

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 3:32 AM

Last edited by cesar90; Mar 15, 2016 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 4:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
It just angers and confuses me when urban dwellers become suburban NIMBYs
This is why I'm opposed to "community input" in pretty much all cases. The more detached real estate markets are from local politics the better.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 4:36 AM

On the fence with the Bixel Tower/7 story combo proposal. Don't get me wrong. The tower isn't bad and height in LA is always a plus. The 7 story looks like a smaller version of the Wilshire/La Brea project but I could live with that.

However.......did anyone else click on the link to see the other renderings attached ? The planning says "36 story tower and 7 story".... Looks like the 7 story will sit on one corner and the tower on the adjacent corner. Which means the podium, which takes up half of the city block, will be purely parking, with ground floor on one portion, and pretty much blocks any other potential developments

I may be wrong but that's how the rendering looks.

Last edited by caligrad; Mar 15, 2016 at 5:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 4:55 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar90 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Nice pic!

Just FYI, if your imgur code already includes IMG tags, you don't need to add them again when posting here.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Nice pic!

Just FYI, if your imgur code already includes IMG tags, you don't need to add them again when posting here.
Thanks! good to know that now.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
A mini freeway cap between 7th and Wilshire would be perfect
Seriously. These capping projects will probably be the equivalent of Metropolis or Grand Avenue timeline-wise given how challenging and costly they are as a whole. Why must we "aim for the stars", when in reality, your idea is totally practical and way less expensive. Now that I'm thinking about it, other benefits of starting small and progressively doing it in phases would include:

-The opportunity to create something new with each phase of the park project, meaning architects would be able to thoughtfully design a space that correlates well with previous phases, yet also stays modern due to the progressive nature of the timeline. This would prevent us from having to deal with a massive, ugly, and outdated design far in the future, given the likely fact that it wouldn't be a simple and timeless design. (Many urban parks have become more about the looks than about actual functionality nowadays...always trying to impress)

-Each closed gap would be easy to modify if it ever needed to be upgraded/redesigned, and each park could be done by a different firm who would infuse their own originality. The park could be marketed/branded as something unique to Los Angeles. (Think...a park made of several unique parks)

-Since a single closed gap would take wayyy less time to get fully financed, approved, and built, we could form a safe, pedestrian link between DT and Westlake in the near future. Hate to be a pessimist, but like I mentioned above, both park projects are way too high profile for me to actually believe they will get done anytime soon. I can only imagine the amount of review processes and studies, or just overall challenges that go along with something of that impact and magnitude. To be slightly optimistic, I imagine the 101 cap would be easier, considering it's simple straight bridges. The 110 cap needs to weave around all those crazy ramps, and seeing it while driving through DT on the 110, it seems impossible to me, but that's why I'm not an architect.

Anyway, I'm sure there's many more benefits to such a novel idea, and sorry for the rant, but you really got me thinking.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 9:38 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
NICE!

Looks to me that DTLA is crossing the 110. Makes me wonder if there is need for better pedestrian amenities over that artery... something pleasing and enjoyable to cross.
If anything, they need to improve the bridges over the 110. As they are right now, they are very unsafe. The railings are very low and as someone who is 6'6, I try to stay as far as possible. Only to nearly get killed by a speeding orange bus.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:32 PM

New Details for J.W. Marriott Expansion

As a refresher, AEG is proposing $500-million expansion with 755 guest rooms and 170,000 square feet of conference and event space.

The 38-story hotel tower is being designed by Gensler, with an architectural apex of 589 feet. The conference space would be built above the Olympic West Parking Garage, between the Convention Center's West Hall and the Regal Theater complex.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:37 PM

Absolutely Awesome! DTLA needs more buildings like that!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 3:15 PM

Starting date might be early 2017, that's good.

Like I always said, Downtown is on fire. We will see more big proposels in 2016, believe in it.

I just came back from Downtown (early meeting with two of my lawyers), Downtown looks like a big construction site, the progress is just unbelievable.

Nice picture cesar90, like always.

Real DTLA Development Group

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations