HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 4:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller View Post
My concern would be that if we create an separate bicycle lane network, there are some who would then lobby to exclude bicycles from all other roadways. Certain people in Toronto have already proposed this. That must not be allowed to happen.
I support the NDP's election platform of requiring one-metre bike lane buffers.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 6:53 PM

The bike lanes on Dundurn North are now open. I rode on them today.
It really is unfortunate that the stretch between Main and King is still without bike lanes to connect to the ones on Dundurn S. Worst of all, the righthand shoulder on this stretch is brutal with potholes, sewer grates, and bumps.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 12:35 PM

I went for a ride up the escarpment last night and was really impressed by the Stone Church bike lane. It's nice & wide, smooth road, and I wasn't constantly dodging sewers.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 12:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

I rarely ever see a single cyclist on Stone Church, yet like you said it's probably one of the best bike lanes in Hamilton.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 4:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

Video Link

Dwayne Ali, a master's student in communications and new media, filmed a time-lapse video of his bike route to campus Monday for Bike to Work Day.

The video was taken with an iPhone 4 attached to the front of his bike, which he rode with a group from downtown Hamilton to McMaster.

"The video was meant to document the trip and show a typical route from downtown Hamilton to McMaster," said Ali. "As a communications and new media student, finding multimedia means to show off the trip on social networks was natural."

Ali's research is focused on public information systems and user interfaces.

"I'm doing a bit of work looking at the way the streets of Hamilton are designed for different users," he said. "Things like wayfinding and sign design."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 4:45 PM

Interesting video.

How the Dutch got their cycle paths.

http://www.wimp.com/cyclepaths/

Old Posted Nov 4, 2012, 10:24 PM

NYC Study Finds Protected Bicycle Lanes Boost Local Business
(americabikes.org. Mary Lauran Hall, Nov 1, 2012)

"A new study from the New York Department of Transportation shows that streets that safely accommodate bicycle and pedestrian travel are especially good at boosting small businesses, even in a recession. NYC DOT found that protected bikeways had a significant positive impact on local business strength. After the construction of a protected bicycle lane on 9th Avenue, local businesses saw a 49% increase in retail sales. In comparison, local businesses throughout Manhattan only saw a 3% increase in retail sales."

Via NYC DOT: Measuring the Street: New Metrics for 21st Century Streets [PDF]

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 1:15 AM

some crackhead stole the handlebars off my bike yesterday locked up at Main and John. Three metres from the street on a busy evening!!! Clipped all four cables and made off with a rusty set of handlebars! Just one more reason why bicycling sucks in Hamilton.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 1:30 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
some crackhead stole the handlebars off my bike yesterday locked up at Main and John. Three metres from the street on a busy evening!!! Clipped all four cables and made off with a rusty set of handlebars! Just one more reason why bicycling sucks in any city with more than 14 people.
Fixed that for you.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:31 AM
Registered Drug User

Amazing study. Obviously the results confirm what I want them to confirm, so it makes me delighted.

How long will it take evidence like this to filter across to municipalities in Ontario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
NYC Study Finds Protected Bicycle Lanes Boost Local Business
(americabikes.org. Mary Lauran Hall, Nov 1, 2012)

"A new study from the New York Department of Transportation shows that streets that safely accommodate bicycle and pedestrian travel are especially good at boosting small businesses, even in a recession. NYC DOT found that protected bikeways had a significant positive impact on local business strength. After the construction of a protected bicycle lane on 9th Avenue, local businesses saw a 49% increase in retail sales. In comparison, local businesses throughout Manhattan only saw a 3% increase in retail sales."

Via NYC DOT: Measuring the Street: New Metrics for 21st Century Streets [PDF]

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Amazing study. Obviously the results confirm what I want them to confirm, so it makes me delighted.

How long will it take evidence like this to filter across to municipalities in Ontario?
But how does this help drivers get from driveway to destination faster?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 8:51 PM

Bikehounds has kind words for King West's bike lane linkage from the 403 Bridge to Macklin and beyond.

While not pictured, the ornamental rail treatment along the concrete barrier (echoing the bridge itself) is a nice touch.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 11:44 PM
Concerned Citizen

I noticed today that they have markings for the bike lanes on West 5th between Fennell and Mohawk. They still need to do the actual lines but the bike graphic is in place at intervals along the route in both directions.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 6:59 PM

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 3:29 PM

Lakeshore Road bike lanes supported 4-2
(Burlington Post, Tina Depko-Denver, Jan 15 2013)

The Development and Infrastructure Committee voted Monday night 4-2 in favour of two pilot projects for bike lanes on Lakeshore Road between Seneca Avenue and Walker’s Line.

Those in favour were Mayor Rick Goldring, Ward 1 Councillor Rick Craven, Ward 4 Councillor Jack Dennison and Ward 6 Councillor Blair Lancaster.

Goldring said the pilot project is one way for the city to explore ways to get people out of their cars and onto more environmentally friendly forms of transportation.

“This report gives us the opportunity to heighten awareness around the big picture issues around traffic and transportation,” said Goldring. “…In Burlington, we have approximately 119,000 cars based on 70,000 households and assuming 1.7 cars per household. That’s a lot of cars.”

Those opposed included Ward 2 Councillor Marianne Meed Ward and Ward 5 Councillor Paul Sharman....

The pilot project on Lakeshore Road between Seneca Avenue and Guelph Line is proposed to run from fall 2013 until the end of the year.

Re-marking the road would cost approximately $15,500.

The stretch is slated for resurfacing in spring 2014, meaning there would be no additional cost to paint the original lines if the pilot is unsuccessful.

The pilot project on Lakeshore Road between Guelph and Walker’s lines is slated to run from spring 2013 to the end of the year.

The re-marking is expected to cost $40,000. If staff and council considers the project a failure, it will cost another approximately $40,000 to re-mark the road.

The temporary markings on Lakeshore Road from Seneca to Walker’s Line will remain until staff reports back to council on the results of the pilot projects in spring 2014.

The decision goes for council approval on Monday, Jan. 28.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 2:09 AM

Paris to Ancaster sets gruelling standard for cyclists
(Ancaster News, Jan 24, 2013)

Inspired by France’s Paris-Roubaix Cycling Race, the Paris to Ancaster Bicycle Race is known for its difficult route that takes riders over some of the roughest farm lanes, trails and gravel roads in southern Ontario.

Combined with unpredictable spring weather and one of the largest fields of riders assembled in Canada, it has become a classic race experience for everyone from recreational riders to Canadian Olympians.

There are two races, both ending in Ancaster. One starts in Paris and a shorter race starts in St George.

To celebrate the 20th anniversary this year, the Paris to Ancaster race has been extended to 70 kilometres and the St George race will be 40 kilometres. An additional 20th anniversary feature is the Olympic Experience VIP package that enables race entrants to set out on the first wave alongside Olympian and other Canadian cycling stars and joining them for lunch afterwards. A portion of proceeds from the package, plus entrance fees, will go towards funding the 2015 Pan Am Velodrome, to be built in Milton.

To register, visit www.parisancaster.com.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:46 PM

Council scraps Lakeshore bike lane pilot project
(Burlington Post, Tina Depko-Denver, Jan 29, 2013)

The controversial Lakeshore Road bike lane pilot projects were scrapped Monday night by city council.

The majority of council supported Ward 4 Councillor Jack Dennison’s motion to take the pilot project between Seneca Avenue and Guelph Line off the table due to what he said were residents’ concerns.

This was followed by a 4-3 vote against the remaining recommendation for the pilot project between Guelph and Walker’s lines.

Mayor Rick Goldring, Ward 2 Councillor Marianne Meed Ward, Ward 3 Councillor John Taylor and Ward 5 Councillor Paul Sharman voted against the pilot project.

Dennison, Ward 1 Councillor Rick Craven and Ward 6 Councillor Blair Lancaster were in favour.

Two weeks ago, the Development and Infrastructure Committee supported the bike lane pilot projects with a 4-2 vote.

Goldring, who supported the pilot projects at that meeting, was the swing vote Monday night.

“I firmly believe that if we put this through, the resistance for future cycling efforts will encounter even more resistance,” he said. “I think we need to be very, very careful in what we want, we have to really articulate what specifically we are trying to achieve and what is the measurement that works.”

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:48 PM
Hammer'd

Residents concerns? About what? Cyclists having a safe, dedicated lane to peddle in? Son, I am disappoint.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Residents concerns? About what?..
Let's start a list of concerns:

1. 5-second delay in getting into a Tim Hortons drive-thru
2. Why would I want to get out of my car and onto a bike?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 11:36 PM

how stupid. Lakeshore has no parking so it's not that. It has a useless median that could easily be converted. I imagine it's just that the mansion owners don't want riffraff biking by their estates.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure