HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: If anyone, who do you currently support for Mayor
Bob Hawksworth 1 1.23%
Craig Burrows 1 1.23%
Joe Connelly 2 2.47%
Jon Lord 0 0%
Kent Hehr 4 4.94%
Naheed Nenshi 47 58.02%
Paul Hughes 1 1.23%
Ric McIver 6 7.41%
Wayne Stewart 2 2.47%
The Moose who ran through downtown 17 20.99%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 8:50 PM

P3s are just another way to 'borrow' money, just like borrowing they eat up money that could otherwise be used to build things later. Not that I am saying borrowing or P3s are bad, because they aren't. Just that P3s don't create 'free' money.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 8:51 PM
Ack Thptf

Regarding the airport tunnel:

Presumably it will take 2-3 construction seasons to build the tunnel and associated roadways. People in the NE will have to put up with the inconvienence of Barlow Trail being closed for some time. Adding another three months is not a lot to ask for, considering what they will get in return.

The big question is, will this delay the opening of the new runway?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Humphrey.Appleby View Post
P3s are just another way to 'borrow' money, just like borrowing they eat up money that could otherwise be used to build things later. Not that I am saying borrowing or P3s are bad, because they aren't. Just that P3s don't create 'free' money.
I agree that P3s are just another way to borrow money and that eventually they will eat up more many than a public funding model. However, they have proven to be generally accepted by taxpayers in the Calgary area where-as if the government borrowed the money to fund the project themselves I think it would be viewed as an unpopular decision. As I mentioned before, I think we should look at the Centre Street subway as a planning tool to strategically encourage investment and development. Because development and growth tends to build upon itself, that means that the sooner the LRT line is built, the bigger the impact will be long term. So although the cost of a P3 project will be with the City over a 30 year term, the fact that it would allow immediate construction on the Centre Street subway means that the benefits would be compounded over those same 30 years. With any luck it may even become cost neutral to the City as the $3.1 Billion cost of construction translates into $3.1 Billion in savings because future infrastructure is no longer needed as densification occurs along the Centre Street and SE LRT corridor.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy