HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 3:34 PM
Djesus777 Djesus777 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Too many places
Posts: 299
Downtown Montreal pics on a "winters" night

















Source: https://the514lifeblog.wordpress.com...real-at-night/

Last edited by Djesus777; Dec 1, 2018 at 4:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 2:03 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 807
Nice! Winter is here (not technically)!
__________________
No one likes me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 2:26 PM
TomOfBoston TomOfBoston is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
Very beautiful, although I do have a difficult time saying that Montreal is the most unique city in North America. There is no way I could put it over San Francisco, New Orleans, New York City, etc... But maybe most unique in Canada!
Montreal is the only major city in north America where English is not the common language. That is unique.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 2:50 PM
mousquet's Avatar
mousquet mousquet is offline
that prick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nimbyland Paris, Museum France
Posts: 3,161
^ Off topic, but it is worth noting that geographically speaking, Mexico is a North American country, though.
And massively influenced by the US culture these days. I watch some of their media out of curiosity from time to time; it is big enough to have us quite interested over here.
If you can get some Spanish, you can easily sense the US economic powerhouse nearby.

But yeah, Quebec is kind of special in that it is both much smaller and wealthier on average.
__________________
psst... A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34)
I like bass. Give me some.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 12:45 AM
Nite's Avatar
Nite Nite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ Off topic, but it is worth noting that geographically speaking, Mexico is a North American country, though.
And massively influenced by the US culture these days. I watch some of their media out of curiosity from time to time; it is big enough to have us quite interested over here.
If you can get some Spanish, you can easily sense the US economic powerhouse nearby.

But yeah, Quebec is kind of special in that it is both much smaller and wealthier on average.
Mexico in EVERY context is a North American country there is no ambiguity about this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 2:48 PM
Denvergotback Denvergotback is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Denver
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOfBoston View Post
Montreal is the only major city in north America where English is not the common language. That is unique.
I never said it wasn't unique, obviously it is. But I am extremely reluctant to ever call it North Americas most unique city. Especially when you have New Orleans, New York, San Francisco, and Mexico City in the lineup.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 2:50 PM
Denvergotback Denvergotback is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Denver
Posts: 110
And all the Mexico cities don't use English as their common language either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 6:41 PM
The North One's Avatar
The North One The North One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
I never said it wasn't unique, obviously it is. But I am extremely reluctant to ever call it North Americas most unique city. Especially when you have New Orleans, New York, San Francisco, and Mexico City in the lineup.
San Francisco isn't that unique, New York isn't unique at all lol.
__________________
Spawn of questionable parentage!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 7:19 PM
mrnyc mrnyc is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,013
^ ridiculous remarks like that from you aren't unique either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
And all the Mexico cities don't use English as their common language either.
yes and english far more rare in many of them than english is in montreal.

language is kind of a non starter for uniqueness to me. its a part of it, but much less so than maybe some people place it. underground montreal for one prominent example for dealing with the weather makes it far more unique, just like the skywalks in minneapolis/st paul. both are very cool. i mean warm.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 7:53 PM
The North One's Avatar
The North One The North One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,298
Literally every big city in America has New York characteristics, Philly is basically little New York. The only thing unique about NYC is it's size.
__________________
Spawn of questionable parentage!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 2:43 AM
dc_denizen's Avatar
dc_denizen dc_denizen is online now
Selfie-stick vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 5,653
montreal's built environment is not unique

its culture is interesting and unique in a sense
__________________
Joined the bus on the 33rd seat
By the doo-doo room with the reek replete
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 5:42 PM
The North One's Avatar
The North One The North One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
montreal's built environment is not unique

its culture is interesting and unique in a sense
I would disagree with that, old Montreal and la plateau are very unique examples of urbanism, especially for North America.
__________________
Spawn of questionable parentage!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 7:20 PM
Pedestrian's Avatar
Pedestrian Pedestrian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 7,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Literally every big city in America has New York characteristics, Philly is basically little New York. The only thing unique about NYC is it's size.
The combination of size, ethnic diversity and economic power make it almost unique. Only London is really comparable and, last I checked, that wasn't in North America.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 6:05 AM
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
Drenched in Sun
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The World's Piggy Bank
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
San Francisco isn't that unique, New York isn't unique at all lol.
New York is the outlier city in America in just about every single category.

That's unique.

As for Montreal, it's also a very unique and interesting city. Great photos!
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.