HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:51 AM

I am seriously doubting that the actual air temp in Winnipeg was -51C this AM. Are you maybe talking about the wind chill? I wouldn't be surprised if the air temp was in the -40C range at all, but -51C seems suspect.

As for Minneapolis, we are in for our coldest night in 5 years with lows possibly getting below -20F. The average high this time of the year is 21 above, which I think someone mentioned earlier. Thats cold enough thank you.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snodrifter View Post
It'd be interesting to look at which cities have the most extreme climate. In that, the difference between the average summertime high and wintertime high.

That Russian city of 200,000 that was mentioned, Yakutsk or something, I looked at it and it has a 116 degree difference!!
WOW! Well, I'm not sure how 'extreme' of a difference this is, but ... today was -51 celsius (-58 in farenheit) and they expect it to go all the way up to -6 (or -9)on Saturday. I think that is the second 'warmest' day we have had this winter. Needless to say, we are packing a picnic brkfst,lunch and supper and going to spend the entire day outside enjoying the beautiful day it will be!YIPPEE!!!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMike View Post
I am seriously doubting that the actual air temp in Winnipeg was -51C this AM. Are you maybe talking about the wind chill? I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the -40C range at all, but -51C seems suspect.

As for Minneapolis, we are in for our coldest night in 5 years with lows possibly getting below -20F.
yes, it was -51 celsius WITH the windchill. the actual air temp was in the -40 range. right now it is -29 c and with the windchill , -44 celcius.

btw....-51c converts to -58f, so I will take your -20f anytime over our weather. wanna switch? lol

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:59 AM

I think we can all agree that no matter where we live, we are ALL experiencing a colder than usual winter (this is our 4th coldest in 75 years).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDiana43 View Post
I think we can all agree that no matter where we live, we are ALL experiencing a colder than usual winter (this is our 4th coldest in 75 years).
Unless you live in Vegas. Its record breaking HEAT out here. Its over 60 degree Fahrenheit!

Thats how global warming works. Weather gets more and more strange and radical but the overall trend is slow heating.

I had the A/C on today!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 5:11 AM

I'm afraid I have news though, the wind chill is not the temperature! Sorry, big pet peeve of mine. hehe

Also, a quick look at the Winnipeg forecast shows a high of 28F ABOVE by Sunday. Stop exaggerating the weather up there, its cold enough already. Now back to the topic at hand...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 6:22 AM
Paradise Island

If you live in Minneapolis it is easy to think that Winnipeg exists to cheer us up. It is always colder in Winnipeg (that should be a city slogan or something). Minnesota could be the second coldest place on Earth, it would still be colder in Winnipeg (and I believe this actually happens from time to time, usually when the supercold air gets pushed out of the Arctic by a warm front).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:53 PM

Indeed it is. Often times North Dakota is pretty darn cold too. Southern MN is certainly a lot warmer than northern MN also, I don't think a lot of people realize that. They hear -45 in MN, and they automatically think thats in Minneapolis. The modern day records for Minneapolis are
-34F and 108F if anyone is wondering, there is a "pioneer" record for Minneapolis also, that is
-41F I believe...from before most of the city was developed in the mid 1800s.

As far as average extremes that a couple people were talking about...our coldest average high is in the low 20s, and our warmest average high is in the mid 80s.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 9:04 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
yes, it was -51 celsius WITH the windchill. the actual air temp was in the -40 range. right now it is -29 c and with the windchill , -44 celcius.

btw....-51c converts to -58f, so I will take your -20f anytime over our weather. wanna switch? lol
It's incorrect to put a "C" or "Celcius" or "F" after the windchill value because it is not an actual temperature. Its a "feels like" guide, nothing else.

It irks me when people (especially in the news) broadcast the temperature as what the windchill value is. It's totally wrong.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 9:08 PM

Could somebody please outlaw windchill, heat index and humidex?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 9:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
from a thread in the skysbar that went off-topic, and because we're now entering winter proper for many northern hemisphere cities, i've become curious as to which major cities experience the coldest winter weather.

for definition purposes let's arbitrarily say that a "major city" is any place with a metropolitan area population over 3 million people, and the coldest winter weather will be determined by the average daily high temperature for the month of january (or july for the southern hemisphere, though i doubt any cities down there will qualify). i want to compile a list of all cities over 3 million people with an average january high temperature below 40 F.

here's what i've found so far:
  1. harbin: -13 C/ 8 F
  2. qiqihar: -13 C/9 F
  3. urumqi: -8 C/18 F
  4. changchun: -10 C/14 F
  5. minneapolis: -6 C/22 F
  6. montreal: -6 C/22 F
  7. moscow: -6 C/22 F
  8. shenyang: -6 C/22 F
  9. anshan: -5 C/23 F
  10. st. petersburg: -5 C/23 F
  11. toronto: -3 C/27 F
  12. pyongyang: -1 C/29 F
  13. warsaw: -1 C/30 F
  14. chicago: 0 C/32 F
  15. detroit: 1 C/33 F
  16. seoul: 1 C/33 F
  17. beijing: 1 C/34 F
  18. tianjin: 1 C/34 F
  19. berlin: 2 C/ 35 F
  20. lanzhou: 2 F/35 F
  21. boston: 2 C/36 F
  22. NYC: 4 C/39 F
  23. philly: 4 C/39 F

can anyone find a colder major city?
I'm surprised Buffalo isn't on that list.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 9:37 PM

drew and flar....I totally agree! I get irrationally angry when a media outlet, or anyone for that matter, makes it sounds like the wind chill or heat index is the temp. Its always bugged me.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
I'm surprised Buffalo isn't on that list.
The list was for cities over 3 million.

Buffalo's temps would be similar to Toronto's anyway, the Buffalo area just gets more snow (lake effect).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
so how 'huge' exactly is Moscow?
Moscow gotta be in the 9 to 10 million range regarding population. Been there twice, it fits every definition of a huge city.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
The list was for cities over 3 million.

Buffalo's temps would be similar to Toronto's anyway, the Buffalo area just gets more snow (lake effect).

Yes, Buffalo metro is only 1.1 million and falling.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
If you are trying to figure out the coldest cities, shouldn't you take the average temperature for the entire year, not just the highs in January? Some cities, Helsinki, for example have their coldest temps in February.

Some cities have colder summers. Seattle for example, have average highs in
the 60s in the summer. Its average for the entire year is 52.8, colder than NYC's 54.7 average. If you just compare Seattle's winter temps and NYC's temps it will show that Seattle is much warmer, but on average Seattle is actually colder than NYC.
I was thinking the same thing. What cities are coldest year around?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 5:08 PM

Haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned Minsk and Kiev? They are both large Eastern European capitals with average temperatures below freezing in January.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 5:45 PM
Community Guy

+12C in Edmonton tomorrow, Brrr

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 12:06 AM
if I sang out of tune

Harbin, China. Population 9,462,000 average winter temperature -16.8 C, though it gets as low as -40C.

Every year it holds a seriously HUGE ice festival, including entire buildings built out of ice:

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 1:01 AM
low life in a tall place

Yeah, the Harbin Ice Sculpture Festival is definitely one of those things you have to witness during your lifetime. I haven't visited myself, so it's still on my to-go list.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions