HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Thanks for the info. A friend of mine lives in one of the buildings. I would've considered moving there myself in the future possibly but not anymore.
I'm still smitten by the view from the suite I saw, plus the gigantic deck... but the elevators are a bit of a concern. Had I known this information at the time, I would've made a play for negotiating a lower price from the developer based on that.

Plus I'm surprised that the amentiy space is so limited. I guess I got spoiled by Park Place's enormous building that to see only a small space dedicated to each building instead of a larger one for all seems... tiny in comparison.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 11:14 PM

This would never happen in Vnacouver...

Quote:

Downtown jumbotron OK with Quay residents

By New Westminster News Leader
Published: November 01, 2012 01:00 PM
Updated: November 02, 2012 10:5310 AM

Although city staff is concerned Plaza 88’s plans for a huge digital sign will create light intrusion for Quayside condos, the area’s residents’ associations are all for it.

Plaza 88 is asking the city to allow it to put up a full-motion digital sign that would be more than three times as big as the city’s sign bylaw allows. It would be placed on a wall above Columbia Street facing the waterfront.

A planning department report to be presented to council on Monday says city staff are concerned the light from the 732-square foot (15x44-foot) sign could affect residences along the Quay and parts of Columbia Street. The report also says the intrusion could become even more of an issue when the parking lot in front of the Inn at the Quay is redeveloped for high density multi-family residential.

Penny McIvor, president of the Quayside Community Board (QCB), said the lights shouldn’t be a problem.

http://www.newwestnewsleader.com/news/176687191.html

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 1:00 AM
testify

the city should propose that they do a long strip running the length of the bare concrete wall in exchange for, say, ~20% of the net profits. kill the blight, bring in money, spruce the area up with lights (though of dubious quality).

Old Posted Nov 4, 2012, 12:42 AM

cool

btw is tim hortons open yet? i never had a chance to check it out this visit home

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 12:51 AM

FYI Plaza 88 Grand Opening is this Saturday November 17th.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
This would never happen in Vancouver...
meh. Was still holding some hope they'd put up that long historical photo/mural thing from the earlier renders along the concrete strip. Oh well...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 2:53 AM

New website for the retail project:

http://www.shopsatnewweststation.com/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 5:17 PM

I hope the digital billboard gets approved

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 6:24 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I was down at the plaza today. The grand opening is on the 17th.
There is a lot of decorating going on today, many workers putting up wood and metal accents, signage, etc. The emtpy stores have their windows generically coloured, and there are a lot more stores open than the last time I was there. I am not sure that two Starbucks' are called for in the same building, but maybe I'm wrong. The back of the Old Spaghetti Factory, which was really ugly, is now all cleaned up too. They are putting up some plastic covers under the guideway (between the two box girders) and putting big decals on the concrete floor. I still think the place has too much bare concrete and a grungy appearance, but perhaps the workers will clean a lot too.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 7:25 PM

the two starbucks one is a real one ie corporate and the other is a licensed concept inside safeway, a real starbucks has better offers and you can collect rewards if u have the card, safeway doesn't do that, as a reward collector i don't use safeway starbucks

anyway that website doesn't list tim hortons - did they pull out? surely it would have been built by now

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 8:15 PM
Vancouver Moderator

There is a sign for Tim Hortons in the round retail unit that faces the Old Spaghetti Factory, but the windows were covered in paper. I had thought a liquor store was going there, but perhaps it was decided not to put one right next door to the off sales store under the OSF.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the two starbucks one is a real one ie corporate and the other is a licensed concept inside safeway, a real starbucks has better offers and you can collect rewards if u have the card, safeway doesn't do that, as a reward collector i don't use safeway starbucks

anyway that website doesn't list tim hortons - did they pull out? surely it would have been built by now
Glancing in the windows of the Tim Hortons walking by every few days, it looks reasonably close to completion but no word on opening. Similarly, "The Spud Shack Fry Co", which looks like a bar that'll try to pass itself off as food primary, has had a fair bit of trades activity inside and may be getting close. Hopefully the latter won't be too bad a neighbour.

I'm hoping the new mall owners will be stricter about kicking smokers off the property, too.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I was down at the plaza today. The grand opening is on the 17th.
There is a lot of decorating going on today, many workers putting up wood and metal accents, signage, etc. The emtpy stores have their windows generically coloured, and there are a lot more stores open than the last time I was there. I am not sure that two Starbucks' are called for in the same building, but maybe I'm wrong. The back of the Old Spaghetti Factory, which was really ugly, is now all cleaned up too. They are putting up some plastic covers under the guideway (between the two box girders) and putting big decals on the concrete floor. I still think the place has too much bare concrete and a grungy appearance, but perhaps the workers will clean a lot too.
Personally, I really like how this unique project is shaping up. The units are now about two thirds occupied. I toured the inside of the Tim Horton's three days ago, and it's nearing completion. I estimate that it should be open within the next two or three weeks hopefully (Once the store is complete, it will also take a little while to hire employees, etc.). As a resident of the neighborhood, I'm very happy with having all these shops and services nearby. There are now 37 businesses open, with two more about to open in the next few weeks. Been to the movies four times so far, and the cinemas look great. The seats are comfortable. The mall is now looking much more like a shopping centre, with newly added benches and tables. Though the final design looks very different than the original conceptual art, I rather like the whole "Blade Runner-esque" final look. I wouldn't be at all surprised if many Hollywood productions choose Plaza 88 as a shooting location in the future, because of its unique---and somewhat gritty---look (particularly the "mezzanine" level underneath the Skytrain guideway).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 4:05 PM

By the way, I hope my use of the word "gritty" doesn't convey the wrong impression to those of you who haven't been there yet. It's well-lit (especially since the last few days, when they installed huge new lights underneath the Skytrain guideway), and has a secure and comfortable feel. It even has its own rather large personnel of security guards for such a small mall. You definitely see a lot more shoppers and casual strollers walking around The Plaza these days. It's starting to feel like a real mall in there.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 6:23 PM
Shoebox Dweller

Agreed. I was there on Friday to watch a movie, and after having lived in Plaza 88 during construction of the mall, the completion has been quite impressive in continuing to transform the area. I actually want to live there again!

Although the theatre is new, comfortable, inexpensive ($10), and has reserved seating, I found the sound to be quite poor while watching Skyfall. I would prefer other theatres for that reason, but if I'm watching something recently released and popular, I would likely go there to avoid the crowds.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 3:27 AM

The sound was great the few times that I've been to those theaters. Maybe that was just an isolated incident?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 5:44 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Could have been. I was in #4. Maybe something was wrong, but the bass was definitely less than desired, and I felt a bit like I was watching it on a really big LCDTV. I'll go back and try it again.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 8:24 AM

Gotta wonder how long it'll take Landmark to be acquired by Cineplex...I was thoroughly surprised they owned Tinseltown.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 9:45 AM

Cineplex bought Tinseltown after Cinemark aborted Canadian expansion plans. Vancouver was the only Canadian location.

AMC also aborted Canadian expansion plans - I don't think they ever did open one around Vancouver. The Toronto AMC was sold to Cineplex.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 11:22 AM

What happened to Famous Players? Is there any major theatre chain in Metro Vancouver anymore besides Cineplex?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley