HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 11:30 AM
Closed account

Survey: College students prefer Amazon's HQ2 in Atlanta

https://www.axios.com/survey-college...6fe5908cc.html

Quote:
Of the 20 cities Amazon shortlisted for its second headquarters, Atlanta appears to be the number one choice for college students, according to a new survey.

How it was done: WayUp, a career platform geared towards college students and recent graduates, said it conducted a study involving 672 college students (freshman and sophomores) from 410 universities across the country.

Show less
By the numbers: 11.9%, for Atlanta; 11.2% tie between Chicago and New York City; 10.4% for Boston and 8.8% for Austin.

The backdrop: The survey results highlight the regional employment preferences of the next generation of workers. Based on its findings, WayUp said students are concerned about affordable housing.

Last edited by skyscraperpage17; Feb 3, 2018 at 11:43 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 2:05 AM
Closed account

Apparently, UPS is also "discontent" about Amazon HQ2...

https://www.fastcompany.com/40524560...al-competitors

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 3:15 AM

It would be a shame to gain Amazon and lose UPS and Home Depot headquarters because they rightfully don't want their employees being poached by Jeff B.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 3:43 PM

Well, those companies need to up their game if they're concerned about Amazon poaching their employees. That's always a concern for any company and why you have to stay on the cutting edge.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Well, those companies need to up their game if they're concerned about Amazon poaching their employees. That's always a concern for any company and why you have to stay on the cutting edge.
Build a HQ in the city and I’m sure Atlanta/Georgia will blindly throw tax incentives to them, too. Companies moving headquarters for tax incentives though are no better than professional sports teams doing the same. The only people they are making it beneficial for are themselves. It just hurts local economies when they compete with one another for the same jobs.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Build a HQ in the city and I’m sure Atlanta/Georgia will blindly throw tax incentives to them, too. Companies moving headquarters for tax incentives though are no better than professional sports teams doing the same. The only people they are making it beneficial for are themselves. It just hurts local economies when they compete with one another for the same jobs.
Totally agreed. I mentioned before how some of these cities basically prostitute themselves.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 5:54 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Agreed.

That's the beauty of the free market. If you can't compete, then you'll fail.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 5:55 PM
Closed account

Quote:
What is the economic multiplier of a professional sports team vs. a HQ hiring 50,000 educated and well-paid employees?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Agreed.

That's the beauty of the free market. If you can't compete, then you'll fail.
I guess you're right. It's not a zero sum game, it will strengthen the labor pool.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
What is the economic multiplier of a professional sports team vs. a HQ hiring 50,000 educated and well-paid employees?
Amazon is a little different that it may mean new jobs rather than moving existing jobs.

In general though when you use public taxes to lure in corporations, you are benefitting the corporation rather than investing in the actual community. Taking a job from the Midwest or elsewhere in the southeast is just pulling jobs from other people that also need jobs. Taxes should be spent on improving and maintaining the quality of life and infrastructure to support more new business and livelihoods rather than taking from other people’s lives. I’ve done my fair share of research of the economic impacts and it’s disgusting that governments keep incentivizing corporations rather than providing for their constituents. It’s like sandy springs taking jobs from Atlanta, the rationale behind it is completely shortsighted.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 6:37 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Amazon is a little different that it may mean new jobs rather than moving existing jobs.

In general though when you use public taxes to lure in corporations, you are benefitting the corporation rather than investing in the actual community. Taking a job from the Midwest or elsewhere in the southeast is just pulling jobs from other people that also need jobs. Taxes should be spent on improving and maintaining the quality of life and infrastructure to support more new business and livelihoods rather than taking from other people’s lives. I’ve done my fair share of research of the economic impacts and it’s disgusting that governments keep incentivizing corporations rather than providing for their constituents. It’s like sandy springs taking jobs from Atlanta, the rationale behind it is completely shortsighted.
Amazon is responsible for generating over $34 billion of indirect investment in Seattle. When looking at it that way, I would say a few billion dollars in subsidies are worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your overall point, but the HQ2 of one of the largest companies in the world is an entirely different animal compared to subsidizing a sports stadium or a warehouse that's only creating a few thousand low-paying jobs (Foxconn).

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 6:59 PM

Ya I’m with you on amazon, at least a bit. I’m hoping the incentive packages include actual infrastructure upgrades for the community though rather than just tax incentives for the company. Like a new HRT line, two BRT lines, and some tax incentives is something more along the lines of what I’d prefer. Give back to the community to make it the best place for them to work. I believe Georgia did that for HQ2, I’m just wondering the ratio of public benefit compared to corporate incentives.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 8:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
I guess you're right. It's not a zero sum game, it will strengthen the labor pool.
For what its worth, UPS World Tech Center in f'en NJ - I have been their multiple times. Maybe UPS should bring these high paying jobs to Atlanta before they make comments on Atlanta's corporate recruitment efforts.

http://www.jmawireless.com/ups-world...y-headquarters

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 12:50 PM

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:58 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Great skyline photo of Atlanta in that article from a less often captured perspective.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
Great skyline photo of Atlanta in that article from a less often captured perspective.

Whoa. That is a sweet photo

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post

That looks to be from Highborne Drive in Cobb County.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 12:07 AM

Beautiful shot. City in a forest.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
That looks to be from Highborne Drive in Cobb County.
I thought the same thing initially...but you can see Buckhead from Highborne too, and the elevation, at least in person seems to be higher. Especially when driving up to the top of the circle of Highborne. Those views from there is one of the best kept secrets.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 12:32 PM
BANNED

I was just watching CNBC and the CEO of LinkedIn was delivering their monthly workforce scorecard and he was asked where he thought Amazon would locate their HQ2 and he said hands down Atlanta.

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Feb 8, 2018 at 12:47 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta