HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
No, It's moving to where the food court is.
I was hoping it would be gone altogether.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:04 PM

I really like the Nicholas pedestrian mall. It would force the owner of the property across the street to do something with the storefronts along Nicholas and get better tenants. Perhaps Cadillac Fairview can even buy that whole block.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Why, do you have a problem with stores that meet people's day-to-day needs?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 5:37 PM

"New Cinemas" is an interesting label in slide #8....

Last edited by c_speed3108; Apr 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 5:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Here's the whole lot of them:

from: http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/econ...#Slide-7-box-1

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:03 PM
Busy Beaver

We're going to be served by Zenith Transit! It's about time OC Transpo got some competition

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 9:48 PM

I see H&M, Anthropologie, and Pottery Barn signs/logos in there.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I really like the Nicholas pedestrian mall. It would force the owner of the property across the street to do something with the storefronts along Nicholas and get better tenants. Perhaps Cadillac Fairview can even buy that whole block.

I agree. The pedestrian mall looks pretty nice. Reminds me a bit of Hans Crescent beside Harrod's in London...Consequently, there's a Zara in that same Pedestrian mall (though it's fronting Brompton Rd).

Overall, the plans look impressive. I was definitely fantasizing for something like the undulating faceted roof of The Złote Tarasy in Warsaw as an option for a glass-enclosed rooftop terrace for the Rideau Centre Or even something similar wrapped around the overpasses on Rideau to give them a bit of visual interest...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 1:19 AM

I feel the Ogilvy façade will be overtaken by the new, massive Rideau Centre. Seems that if they are building this tall, they could have kept the whole Ogilvy building, maybe use the Besserer façade for spare parts to restore it to it's 1940s rendition. It's gone now, so there is no use in arguing anymore. I also think the modern façades are too much of a mismatch of different materials (I'm guessing Richard Brisbin is the architect, as someone from the forum posted back in January).

On a positive note, on the final site plan they show the old registry office in it's current location. Weird that they won't build over the rest of Daly Avenue.

I realize it might have been a bit too small, but I preferred the 2006 renderings on the bottom of this page (it takes a few seconds to load), showing a nice, clean, modern façade;

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...M-APR-0079.htm

Anyway, before making anymore comments, I will wait until they come out with proper, more realistic renderings.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 2:39 AM

I think the 1 Nicholas block needs to be bought out by Cadillac Fairview and the first 2 floors converted to retail use as well for a further expansion (with a walkway bridge over Nicholas)...perhaps also with a new 3rd floor walkway for access to the office building. In fact, they could even also build the expansion into the 170ish Rideau block as well, if they want to expand to 1.5M square feet or more. Additional walkways could be considered to some of the hotels in the area.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I realize it might have been a bit too small, but I preferred the 2006 renderings on the bottom of this page (it takes a few seconds to load), showing a nice, clean, modern façade;

Anyway, before making anymore comments, I will wait until they come out with proper, more realistic renderings.
IIRC, the 2006 proposal did NOT have store entrances directly fronting on Rideau which is something the City has been insistent on.

The fact that this expansion will have entrances all along Rideau will do wonders for the street just in and of itself.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I think the 1 Nicholas block needs to be bought out by Cadillac Fairview and the first 2 floors converted to retail use as well for a further expansion (with a walkway bridge over Nicholas)...perhaps also with a new 3rd floor walkway for access to the office building. In fact, they could even also build the expansion into the 170ish Rideau block as well, if they want to expand to 1.5M square feet or more. Additional walkways could be considered to some of the hotels in the area.
I'd love to see Holt Renfrew somewhere on Rideau Street. Either that block or the one next to it on the east side of Dalhousie. I don't even care if there's no direct connection to the Rideau Centre.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Sorry, some of us live in this neighbourhood and need Advil and toilet paper, etc.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
The walkways are crucial to the viability of the third level as it keeps pedestrian traffic fluid and interconnects the anchor stores. Even parts of the second level were problematic before they got Old Navy to take up a dead end.
Completely disagree. I walk through this pretty much everyday and there's virtually no one using the connection. What stores are near the walkways? Marginal uses like Wind Mobile, a temporary H&R block, Buck or Two, StitchIt, Hallmark, a Telus Store.

What other uses are on the 3rd floor nowhere near the walkways? Banana Republic, Hugo Boss, Birks, Harry Rosen, Club Mondao, Zara, all doing quite well, none thanks to the walkways.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 4:05 PM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

I was very leary about how they would incorporate the facade back into the mall, but I think this looks pretty decent. Had they bricked over it, it would've looked ugly, but since its glass, the brick leads your eye to the facade directly without taking into account the glass enclosure behind it. I think its very fitting and they'll even bring back the flagpole the fronting piece infront of it over the 3rd floor. I liked the old look, but as 5 floors it would've looked out of place. Restoring it to 1906-1907 completely will be awesome. We've all seen the current looking building for so long, now lets see it as how it was intended to look when it was first designed. Something no-one has seen in years. (I'm sure everyone who knew it till 1915 is gone now). So congrats to Rideau. The refurb will look pretty cool. I'm impressed, though the pedestrian over-passes should've been removed and moved underground. So ugly, and now, will Frieman mall get a slight refurb to match across the street. That brick is ugly from where they filled in Mosgrove Ave. They'll need to update also. Also, putting Simons on the corner, a home grown store, is fitting to what was there before. Ogilvy's was also a home grown company. I was so scared that H&M would get that corner. A store like that doesnt deserve a Heritage Facade. So I'm glad that what I heard a few months back from a "bird" about it being Simons is now confirmed. Very fitting. And the medallion on the corner being recreated with his initials is just fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I feel the Ogilvy façade will be overtaken by the new, massive Rideau Centre. Seems that if they are building this tall, they could have kept the whole Ogilvy building, maybe use the Besserer façade for spare parts to restore it to it's 1940s rendition. It's gone now, so there is no use in arguing anymore. I also think the modern façades are too much of a mismatch of different materials (I'm guessing Richard Brisbin is the architect, as someone from the forum posted back in January).

On a positive note, on the final site plan they show the old registry office in it's current location. Weird that they won't build over the rest of Daly Avenue.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
I'd love to see Holt Renfrew somewhere on Rideau Street. Either that block or the one next to it on the east side of Dalhousie. I don't even care if there's no direct connection to the Rideau Centre.
They want to be there too, I have heard repeatedly. It would need to go in the Nicholas block (1 Nicholas/140ish Rideau) or the Dalhousie block (170ish Rideau) though. There are a few good stores there that would be displaced but others that are an eyesore at best.

152 Rideau is a heritage building though, so any use would have to completely maintain such.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
Sorry, some of us live in this neighbourhood and need Advil and toilet paper, etc.
I'm not saying there shouldn't be a Shoppers in the mall. I just think it's a waste of space along Rideau Street. The BIA envisions Rideau as a "high street". Shoppers doesn't belong on a high street.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying there shouldn't be a Shoppers in the mall. I just think it's a waste of space along Rideau Street. The BIA envisions Rideau as a "high street". Shoppers doesn't belong on a high street.
a high street is just a street with lots of shops (and often, "shoppes") and hopefully lots of shoppers, so why not a Shoppers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
some of us live in this neighbourhood and need Advil and toilet paper.
have you been reading Ken Gray again?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
When they built the other Shoppers Drug Mart a few blocks East on Rideau I thought this would be closing. Nope. Now there's 2 less than 500m apart.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 7:37 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
They want to be there too, I have heard repeatedly. It would need to go in the Nicholas block (1 Nicholas/140ish Rideau) or the Dalhousie block (170ish Rideau) though. There are a few good stores there that would be displaced but others that are an eyesore at best.
That would endanger the heritage tattoo parlours and head shoppes there —after all, we're talking about a preserving a high street

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa