HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 5:42 PM

Where would you buy

I just like most people have a love affair with Europe and i am seriously considering buying a one bedroom condo somewhere. Now here is what i am looking for:location, friendly people, cheap cost of living and good transit.
i need to be close( and by close i mean a 2 to 4 hours max by rail) to south of france( Nice region) ,North and Northeast of Italy( I love the dolomites).Any ideas??

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 8:58 PM

Hi. I hope that won't bother him, but I noticed a forumer on here whose user name is Lipani moved to northern Italy. He was originally from San Diego, CA and probably still has some connections to the US. I recommend you ask for his advice by private message. It seems northern Italy (maybe Milan or Turin, but I couldn't tell how affordable they are) could be satisfying to you.

You should also look for some tips about Lyon in central eastern France. Lyon is pretty much like northern Italy, definitely more friendly than Paris, dynamic enough and not too far from the Mediterranean coast that's a little tiring in summer because of the huge army of tourists over there, some of whom are ill-mannered. Otherwise, it's pleasant. You'd surely like it as a whole. And Switzerland isn't far from there either. That's always interesting.

Good luck.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 11:22 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomayoplease View Post
I just like most people have a love affair with Europe and i am seriously considering buying a one bedroom condo somewhere. Now here is what i am looking for:location, friendly people, cheap cost of living and good transit.
i need to be close( and by close i mean a 2 to 4 hours max by rail) to south of france( Nice region) ,North and Northeast of Italy( I love the dolomites).Any ideas??
Spain should be pretty cheap due to their financial crisis, but I'm not sure the rail connects fits your demands.. ( but you can easily get around Europe with plane in that timeframe ) and fits your demands for friendly people, cheap costs and fair enough transit

France I would expect to be rather pricey, unless you don't mind a long distance to the coast ( generally the french are very friendly in the south, but in terms of living costs it's not as cheap as Spain )

Switzerland is very expensive compared to the rest on all accounts - the people are friendly, but a bit reserved ( in what I as a Scandianvian would call in a good way )

Italy should be fairly priced and seems to be spot on what you seek - just note that it's a highly sought coast region, so realestate prices will reflect that. ( I would not classify the Italians as friendly people in general, they tend to be loud, crude and expects you to speak Italian - I know that doesn't go for all, but their rep around Europe didn't come from nothing )

My suggestion would be to pick a larger city with directs flights to the US and a price level you like and then just fly to the regions you like rather than rail ( unless rail such as the TGV ) is the faster option - though with the current market I'm not sure it's the best time to buy, so perhaps using your money on multiple trips ( hotels are pretty cheap down there ) and other investments might bring more value

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 12:58 AM

I really appreciate the suggestions my friends
I had not thought about Lyon, i will definitely put on my list. Switzerland it's not my cup of tea. What about Verona, Italy? Also, Austria, and Slovenia seems appealing, any advice? So since we all love lists.

Lyon:
Pros: Plenty to do and see and close enough to the coast for a weekend getaway. i speak French, so i suppose i would adapt easier. People are receptive courteous. Great airport.
Cons: Things are very pricey, despite France economical problems.

Verona:
Pros: Great weather, spectacular geographical location, friendly people, lots of history and amazing food.
Cons: Not liking the real state market

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:42 AM

Austria is expensive. Not Switzerland-expensive, but still pretty damn expensive.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:59 PM

i've been doing some research and boy they have some cheap deals in italy and Slovenia.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 7:30 PM

^ Is Slovenia cheap? You just reminded me that I heard it was the 1st state of former Yugoslavia to join the Eurozone. It's regarded pretty reliable. Of course, I would suggest you to think about the place that would be both close to this region you like and the best potential capital gain for yourself in your future. You're being wise by thinking about Slovenia. Some would even call it a potential expansion of Switzerland to Central Europe. OK, you said Switzerland wasn't your cup of tea, but you know, if Slovenia can buy you a loft in Venice in the future... Then I guess you should think twice about it. On the other hand, if northern Italy's able to be affordable too, it's surely fine as well.

Glad you get some choice.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe