HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 1:19 PM
Meh

Well, as some of you may remember I posted back in July that Mittens, my cat for 13 years passed away. He was having seizures and we think he had a stroke. I had found him on someone's doorstep while selling tickets for my sister's baby pageant in 1993. Their cat had kittens and they were giving them away. So we took one. He was the sweetest cat I've ever known. Even people that saw him that weren't cat people or disliked cats always said he was cool. He was much more friendly than most cats and was actually affectionate and would follow me around the house like a dog. His death was completely unexpected so it was hard to take. I miss him.

Here's Mittens:

Mittens hanging out with Penny, my brother's Dalmatian.

In September I helped pass out flyers for
2124, a new residential building going up in East Austin. My friend and I past out flyers at apartment complexes. All of them had cats, and almost all would run away as I walked up. But there was one that didn't. And I could hardly believe my eyes. This cat looked so much like Mittens, like he could be related to him somehow, color, size, markings, it was uncanny. I reached down and called him over, he was laying down on someone's patio. He walked through the bars up to me and I petted him for a minute. I had only lost Mittens the month before, so seeing this cat that looked so much like him was strange. I went on my way and put out the rest of the flyers. Later that day and that night I couldn't get that cat out of my mind. I told my family how much he looked like Mittens. On a hunch that the cat was a stray we went back to try and find him and ask around if anyone owned him. I asked the guy that lived at the apartment where I first saw him if they owned him, he said "No". I asked 6 or 7 people around there if they owned him or if they knew who did. They all said he was just a stray and that there were a lot of them around. So I started looking for him but couldn't find him at first. Then out of the blue there he was. He came right up to me. I had given it some thought though about would I really want another cat so soon, just a month and a half after losing Mittens. This cat also looked so much like him that I actually thought it might be too weird or that it would somehow be disrespectful to Mittens' memory. And I thought that getting another cat so soon and that looked so much like Mittens might lessen the loss of him and I didn't want that. I didn't want to try to fill some hole. In the end I knew that I would get another cat sooner or later and that this cat needed a home. So I decided to adopt him. We took him home. I named him Jules. He's a nice cat, he's sweet. He's still adjusting to my dog, a bit afraid of her, but he'll be ok. I'm glad I found him.

So 13 years ago I found Mittens by going door to door selling tickets to a baby pageant for my sister, and 13 years later while going door to door passing out flyers for a residential building in East Austin, I found Jules who looks almost identical to my first cat.

Jules:

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 1:50 PM
Meh

There's a gallery of cat photos of the readers of the Austin American-Statesman. There's some hilarious photos there. See it here:
http://www.statesman.com/life/conten...ats/index.html

Go here to submit your photos.
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...rs_photos.html

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 4:20 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

That's a great story Kevin. Maybe the spirit of Mittens lives on in Jules.

Flickr®

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 6:49 PM
Run with Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin
George - 6 year old female (yeah, I know, dumb name for a girl).

We got her 2 years ago from the Meow Foundation.

I like it, ever read Travels with Charley by Steinbeck?
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 6:54 PM
Corporate logo

VZ, tell Burbank to go a little easier on the eyeliner.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 3:02 PM
arf

My cat Maple, staying warm under the table lamp.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 3:20 AM
arf

Another of Maple.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 8:56 AM

Bumpin this ol thread with this pic of Marcus in his usual evening pose in the couch.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 9:17 AM
Posh

^
I had a roomate once who had a cat who liked to lay down in poses like that - she would lay on her back with all 4 paws sticking up in the air!

She also liked to hang out in the bathroom sink!

Someday I should scan them.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 6:41 AM
them bones

Meet Bob...

Too bad he's too fat now...

Have another beer kitty...

'No Pictures...Please!'

Helping with redlines...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 8:59 AM

This is Jack. He's not mine yet, but he may move in with my wife and I when we are both back in the US (he's currently with her parents).

The picture doesn't give a sense of scale, but he's huge.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 4:02 PM
Change is good

My new kitty that we got back in Late November, picture from about the same time we got him.
His name is "Mr Meowsers" because he meows ALOT

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 11:56 AM

^ OMG! He's irresistible!

Here's a pic of a cat I took many years ago in Irkutsk:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 5:26 AM
Regresando a SSP.

OH MY MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

A thread dedicated to the cats!!!!!

I love the cats....

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 6:28 AM
skeetskeetskeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward View Post
This is Jack. He's not mine yet, but he may move in with my wife and I when we are both back in the US (he's currently with her parents).

The picture doesn't give a sense of scale, but he's huge.
OH MY GOD, that is the coolest cat i have ever seen! Tabby and what else. thats nuts what the fir color mix is and its got blue eyes...nuts.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 6:38 AM
skeetskeetskeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well, as some of you may remember I posted back in July that Mittens, my cat for 13 years passed away. He was having seizures and we think he had a stroke. I had found him on someone's doorstep while selling tickets for my sister's baby pageant in 1993. Their cat had kittens and they were giving them away. So we took one. He was the sweetest cat I've ever known. Even people that saw him that weren't cat people or disliked cats always said he was cool. He was much more friendly than most cats and was actually affectionate and would follow me around the house like a dog. His death was completely unexpected so it was hard to take. I miss him.

Here's Mittens:

Mittens hanging out with Penny, my brother's Dalmatian.

In September I helped pass out flyers for
2124, a new residential building going up in East Austin. My friend and I past out flyers at apartment complexes. All of them had cats, and almost all would run away as I walked up. But there was one that didn't. And I could hardly believe my eyes. This cat looked so much like Mittens, like he could be related to him somehow, color, size, markings, it was uncanny. I reached down and called him over, he was laying down on someone's patio. He walked through the bars up to me and I petted him for a minute. I had only lost Mittens the month before, so seeing this cat that looked so much like him was strange. I went on my way and put out the rest of the flyers. Later that day and that night I couldn't get that cat out of my mind. I told my family how much he looked like Mittens. On a hunch that the cat was a stray we went back to try and find him and ask around if anyone owned him. I asked the guy that lived at the apartment where I first saw him if they owned him, he said "No". I asked 6 or 7 people around there if they owned him or if they knew who did. They all said he was just a stray and that there were a lot of them around. So I started looking for him but couldn't find him at first. Then out of the blue there he was. He came right up to me. I had given it some thought though about would I really want another cat so soon, just a month and a half after losing Mittens. This cat also looked so much like him that I actually thought it might be too weird or that it would somehow be disrespectful to Mittens' memory. And I thought that getting another cat so soon and that looked so much like Mittens might lessen the loss of him and I didn't want that. I didn't want to try to fill some hole. In the end I knew that I would get another cat sooner or later and that this cat needed a home. So I decided to adopt him. We took him home. I named him Jules. He's a nice cat, he's sweet. He's still adjusting to my dog, a bit afraid of her, but he'll be ok. I'm glad I found him.

So 13 years ago I found Mittens by going door to door selling tickets to a baby pageant for my sister, and 13 years later while going door to door passing out flyers for a residential building in East Austin, I found Jules who looks almost identical to my first cat.

Jules:

my wife and i were looking through the cat thread and fell in love with your cat, kevin. sad story, but im glad you found a new cat!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 9:19 PM

Chloe and Kramer

They are such good buddies. They love to sit on the dresser and watch the birds just outside the window. They really are lovely cats.

Kramer gets tired when he reads the paper. Actually, he's not fat, the couch arches up and it pushed his tummy up. He has the most fur and the biggest tail I have ever seen on a cat. He is quite the character.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 10:33 PM
skeetskeetskeet

haha, that first one is awesome

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 12:37 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Isabella

This is Isabella, my cat.
Unfortunately she wasn't able to make the move to Chicago with me and remains back in Northern California with a couple of my best friends.
But as you can tell, she looks quite content...

Last edited by urban_encounter; Mar 20, 2007 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 12:57 AM

my baby

and twiddle dee and twiddle dumb the completely black one has 3 legs...but shes still cute

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography