HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 12:56 AM

...and Muji is getting a "ground-level location". It's supposed to open this summer and no one can announce where in the mall it will be? (I haven't seen any hoarding with their name)

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:20 AM

If a new mall were to be built downtown 2 years ago, Simons, Muji and Uniglo would have opened there already. It's Vancouver's loss for rejecting malls and shortsightedness, so frustrating.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:26 AM

Retail Insider is reporting that Muji will be across from Sephora and Disney at Metrotown.

Also the Robson location will be "one of its largest stores globally."

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...muji-metrotown

They also have Park Royal Cineplex location and render.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
It said Uniqlo is replacing Home Outfitters....
"Another renowned Japanese brand, UNIQLO, will also be making its first steps into the Metro Vancouver market by opening a store at Metropolis at Metrotown in fall 2017.

A 20,000-square-foot, two-level store will be located by the shopping centre’s main atrium, replacing several retail units including Home Outfitters
."

Ron.
Whoops, got too excited. Good addition and use of space by Metrotown, the former Ricky's has been empty for so long.

PS Ron, you got me into AirMiles collecting !

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
If a new mall were to be built downtown 2 years ago, Simons, Muji and Uniglo would have opened there already. It's Vancouver's loss for rejecting malls and shortsightedness, so frustrating.
Is there a broken record playing somewhere?

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 5:32 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Retail Insider is reporting that Muji will be across from Sephora and Disney at Metrotown.

Also the Robson location will be "one of its largest stores globally."

A prior article from the Georgia straight mentions that the Robson store will be 10,000 square feet.

http://www.straight.com/blogra/85954...ions-open-year

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
You're supposed to ignore him like the rest of us were doing.

Last edited by jollyburger; May 16, 2017 at 7:49 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:24 AM

I was going to say it but someone already did. All those stores across from sephora have been boarded off for a while now, the only other spot is in centre court on the 3rd floor, but i think that will be home to RYU and Kate Spade is opening in between that spot and Aritzia.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:37 AM

MINISO has opened on west broadway with many more stores coming soon!

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail.../2017/5/miniso

Quote:
Next week, MINISO will open its second Canadian store at Tsawwassen Mills, south of Vancouver, and in July two locations are confirmed — one at West Vancouver’s Park Royal, and another at 550 Granville Street, across from Holt Renfrew. Mr. Liang says that there are nine stores under negotiation right now, as MINISO looks to blitz the Canadian market with stores utilizing a franchise model.

the georgia straight

just looked on google looks like miniso will open in richmond too, they are hiring all staff for richmond Store along with their vancouver and tsawwassen stores

Last edited by SpongeG; May 16, 2017 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
I knew it would get on the nerves of someone like yourself.Yes, it's a broken record, stemming from the frustration of seeing my neighbourhood losing out to new mid-range stores opening elsewhere.

Retail needs to be enhanced downtown for the growing number of residents who don't prefer to drive out or take the transit to the burbs for shopping.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
I knew it would get on the nerves of someone like yourself.Yes, it's a broken record, stemming from the frustration of seeing my neighbourhood losing out to new mid-range stores opening elsewhere.

Retail needs to be enhanced downtown for the growing number of residents who don't prefer to drive out or take the transit to the burbs for shopping.
Downtown Van doesn't have a whole lot of space to work with. Plus isn't that where the luxury retail is going? Are you trying to say the rest of the region is being more practical than CoV?

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Are you EVER going to drop your downtown mall obsession? It's not happening - get over it and move on like the rest of us. Either that or leave this thread and start your own titled "I Want a Downtown Vancouver Mall" thread.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post

I was there today (don't usually walk that far over) and yes there's hoarding across from Disney and Sephora that says Muji on it. It's odd that the mall store directory doesn't list them yet (supposed to open this summer) and yet has Uniqlo as 'coming soon' (supposed to open this fall).

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 10:20 PM
retro_orange

Quote:

I think you are better off trying to gain support for a complete renovation of International Village mall.

The tiny William Farrell building just sold for 107.5 million dollars, you would easily be spending upwards of half a billion dollars just to acquire the land to build it downtown.

Completely unrealistic.

The only reason PC mall and International Village are where they are now is because the land was cheap at the time of construction.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
I think you are better off trying to gain support for a complete renovation of International Village mall.
I just looked it on Google maps and checked out the mall directory - that's what Vancouver calls a mall?!? There are a bunch of small restaurants to grab something to eat but where's a grocery store? That's sad.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:22 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I just looked it on Google maps and checked out the mall directory - that's what Vancouver calls a mall?!? There are a bunch of small restaurants to grab something to eat but where's a grocery store? That's sad.
This is true, it would need everything changed. But have you ever checked out the upper areas of the mall that still have all their shuttered and untouched mint store fittings from the mid 90's?

It's a total Vaporwave experience. This is what I would love to see done with the mall

Quote:
The world’s first-ever vaporwave mall is coming to Miami

By April Clare Welsh, Sep 23 2016

Image via: Bandcamp

Ever wanted to literally step inside a Vektroid song?
Miami-based artist Aileen Quintana has created the world’s first-ever “vaporwave mall,” which will be featured at the III Points music, art, and technology festival taking place in Miami October 7-9.
Quintana’s piece promises to to take the internet music phenomenon, defined by its use of ‘80s muzak nostalgia, early computer graphics, kitsch colours and Japanese text, offline and into the real world, delivering a 6,000-square-foot immersive installation called Sunsets @ Noon to festival-goers. It will feature department stores, a food court, a VHS store and a salon, reports Billboard.
more:http://www.factmag.com/2016/09/23/fi...ve-mall-miami/

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
There's a T&T right across the street. There was a Japanese-themed food store in the mall at one time, but I'm not sure if it's there anymore.

And maybe you should do a bit more research before uttering a blanket "that's what Vancouver calls a mall?". There's a huge back-story to that project. Has it failed completely? Pretty much, but how that equates to "that's what Vancouver calls a mall?" just tells me a little edumication might go a long way for you.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:43 AM
See ya down under, mates

Difficult to believe someone could live in Vancouver and never know about Tinseltown/International Village. It reminds me of the girl I briefly dated from south Surrey who didn't know where Lions Gate Bridge was.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:16 AM

it was pretty good when it opened, it had that big benetton sports themed store or whatever it was, it also had go carts and things that didn't interest me lol.

It had a BCBG store and a few other well known chains that all left pretty soon after opening. At the time it opened that area was pretty rough still and getting from the skytrain to it wasn't as easy as it is today.

It was great for movies though and grabbing a bite before a movie. But because they were a foreign theatre chain they had problems getting the big movies people wanted to see, it ended up being the place for indie or foreign films mostly. And once scotiabank theatre opened it really took a hit.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:27 AM

It's still great for movies. My favourite cinema in Vancouver. A good mix of indie and mainstream. It also has that cat cafe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy