HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

City College Chinatown Campus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 11:30 PM

Well, we hung 11 of the 16 panels we were supposed to set today. Wind/crane operator issues got us again. We were ready to start hoisting at 7am sharp, but the crane operator was not in his seat until 7:30am. That 1/2hr delay cost us the ability to set the remaining 5 panels due to wind. Each truck load has 4 panels, the last truck have the column covers that span 2 floors and they are only 5 feet wide. I would not had an issues hoisting these panels in the wind, they are easy to handle in the wind hence they only weight approximately 4k lbs. The panels on the north are 12k and they get the most wind as we get higher and becomes a safety issue, expecially for the adjacent building if anything goes terribly wrong. We are now 2 hoist days behind schedule on erection due to wind/operator factors. I have the 12th panel for today on the ground level and hope to erect it on monday morning when the wind is calm, the wind really begins to affect us usually about 1pm.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 3:47 AM

Now what does CCSF Chinatown look like now? Can we get a photo?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 5:16 PM

There is a new photo in the main SF projects thread. Not sure why no one posts on it here.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 5:55 PM
Sonoma Strong

here y'all go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
[IMG] IMG00581 by pseudolus1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] IMG00582 by pseudolus1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 9:13 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The facade is not too dissimilar from the NY Times Tower in NY, which, in my opinion, is a good thing.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 4:59 PM

Anyone have any updated info/photos of this building?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 11:57 PM

ccsf

Well, we have panels on the west all the way up to the 13th floor, 8th on the north and 10th on the east. The annex building is about 50% with panels and concentrating on the sheerwall panels now because they are the harderst to have access to and the tower crane will go away on the 23rd of this month. We are schedule to hoist panels again this coming saturday at the main building (mostly on the north elevation).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 5:24 PM

Awesome, thanks for the update!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 8:10 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I took a bunch of photos yesterday. You can really see how this is going to look now.

Here's the whole thing, annex and all, with both the Washington and Columbus street views:

Much progress has been made, as burnaz mentioned:

The backside:

A closer look at the base:

And the glass:

I had my doubts about the metal fins, but I think they look pretty nice:

The hat-like crown structure is also taking shape:

Can't forget about the annex, which really hasn't changed much along Washington:

However, much has changed on the Columbus side. Notice the airy two-story lobby area and mezzanine. This will be much more than a back door:

Overall, things are looking up! (Sorry, couldn't resist the corny pun.)

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 10:26 PM

Great shots! Thanks PG!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 5:24 AM
Sonoma Strong

thank you for the photo update!

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 6:38 PM

Awesome, thank you for the photos!

That first shot really gives you a sense of what the building is adding in the area's feel. Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 6:44 PM

Thanks for the pics, pg!

The building is kind of plain (not bad, just nothing spectacular), but I really like how the ground level on all sides is coming together. It's looking even better than I thought it would from the renderings.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 9:39 PM
Only Mostly Dead

You're all very welcome, guys. I'll try to get over to the PUC and Trinity one of these days too.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 7:25 PM

Finally was near this on Friday, I think it's looking pretty good. Nothing spectacular but it's pleasant enough and creates some more urbanity in that neighborhood.

Is there a thread for the new PUC building? I was near it this weekend and it is looking wonderful.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 5:16 AM

Nice shots!

We installed panels last saturday and are almost all the way up with them on the main building.

The annex will have panels hoisted again on Wed that will complete all elevations except the south (Washington Street) since we have to wait until the manhoist goes away in order to install there.

By the way, the crane at the annex goes away this saturday if anyone is interested in viewing the process. They will use the crane at the main building to do this.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 12:17 AM
Only Mostly Dead

^Wish I had been in town for that. Would like to have seen the big crane taking down the little one.

Eric - the PUC building will be less than 200' tall, which is the minimum required height for a building in the Highrise Construction section. So all the discussion about it has been in the SF Compilation thread, which is basically the catch-all for miscellaneous buildings that don't have their own thread. I saw the webcam that 1977 posted and it's looking great.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:59 AM

This Saturday we will be hoisting the last of the panels remaining in the main building besides the leave-out-bay where the man hoist is. There are two panels on the south side of the manlift that will require them to be lifted off the truck, then land these on the 4th floor then cut them loose from the crane, raise the line and come down in between the steel at the roof then pick them again to set at the roof level. I am looking forward to this saturday so I can relax and have weekends off again. It's been somewhat stressfull these past few weeks for me and my crew, since everyone been waiting for crane time ever since it was out of order last week (crane) for three days.

Last edited by burnaz; Jul 29, 2011 at 4:40 AM. Reason: add pictures

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 5:08 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the update! Little problem with the URLs you used for your shots, which are awesome by the way. I fixed them below for you and added a couple more (hope you don't mind):

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnaz View Post

These first three are such cool angles -- something us "civilians" could never get:

Last edited by peanut gallery; Jul 29, 2011 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 3:44 AM

Thank you for fixing the link. I was wondering why they did not show up on my end.

Well, hoisting of the last set of panels was cancelled today due to the load line of the crane being damage yesterday by a little mishap at ground level. The block was being lowered to inspect the line when it toppled over and pinch the wire between the block and the ground, causing some deformation of the wire. Osha came today and completely shut down the crane until the cable is replaced. This will not happen until monday when osha comes back out and inspect the cable. By the way, it was not ironworkers who caused the problem.

Next hoisting day is Sunday, Aug, 7.

Last edited by burnaz; Aug 3, 2011 at 4:51 AM. Reason: date change

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive