HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

But here's my shed out back. Where do you apartment/condo-dwellers keep all your gardening tools and bike stuff?
The garden consists of two potted plants on the balcony.

Most condos have bike storage. I have a storage locker in the parking garage where I keep some camping stuff in the winter and hockey equipment in the summer. One thing I like about condo living is it prevents you from collecting too much clutter. If I don't clear out the crap that accumulates after a long work week it will start to look like an episode of hoarders real fast.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:06 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post

Most condos have bike storage. I have a storage locker in the parking garage where I keep some camping stuff in the winter and hockey equipment in the summer. One thing I like about condo living is it prevents you from collecting too much clutter. If I don't clear out the crap that accumulates after a long work week it will start to look like an episode of hoarders real fast.
If you don't mind, could you take a photo of the bike storage area? I'm really curious about what that looks like. There may come a day when I end up in a smaller place like a condo or an apartment, and I'd like to know what kind of facilities there are for people who ride bikes.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:09 PM

Will do.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Nice places and cats in this thread. I especially like your classic Montreal-style walkup apartment, Lio. Having so many rooms lined up like that makes for potentially long walks inside your living space, which to me feels so luxurious.
The cats actually love to chase each other racing in a straight line through those four full-sized rooms whenever we're leaving all the doors open (i.e. most of the time).

Quote:
But here's my shed out back. Where do you apartment/condo-dwellers keep all your gardening tools and bike stuff?

That's an excellent question. I'm not sure how I'd manage if I didn't own the building, because the basement has been my equivalent of your shed for the last 10 years (in other words, it's been like that for many years before I ended up moving into that building).

I'm set up for machining in there, and I store all my bigger items like my big hardwood sanding machine, compressors, pressure washers, etc. There are even various engine and drivetrain parts for my vehicles in there (as you can guess, I'm not the kind of guy that's very suited to a condo). It's a 2,000 sq ft basement with good ceiling height everywhere so it's extremely convenient. It's honestly almost like a mini hardware store - I have stock piles of inventory of everything (plumbing, electrical, etc.) and I'll often find what I'm looking for in there rather than have to go out and buy it.

Whenever I move out of this particular building, the basement will continue to be my main tool and inventory storage area, that's for sure.

But I have to say it's convenient to live in this building out of all of the ones I have because it's where my "man cave" already happened to be. For example, lately, I was working on fixing the PTO driveshaft for my tractor, so I was comfortably working in the basement with all the equipment needed to grind and drill holes in metal, and my gf would text me to say supper's ready so I'd simply just get up a few stories. None of my tenants could do something like this in this building... they don't have access to my basement.

I'll miss this, when we move out of this apt.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post

In rousseau's case, logically by the time he and his wife decide it's the moment to move into a condo one of the factors of this decision will precisely be to ensure that those gardening tools aren't needed anymore...

I bought my current bike used from an older gentleman (in really impressive physical shape) who lived in a condo tower, and he took me to the concrete parking basement to show it to me - he had the kind of locker that suburbanite describes. Pretty functional, as you'd arrive/leave biking at ground level anyway. In terms of how it functions it's very much like one's car - you may live on the nth floor, but your car is in the parking garage, and so is your bike, both readily accessible when you want to go somewhere.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I don't think most apartment/condo dwellers have gardening tools, on account of not having yards to take care of. As for bikes, my previous apartment had a bike storage room in the underground parkade which was basically just a locked room with vertical bike racks. The apartment I lived in before that didn't have one, so my roommate and I just kept ours in the apartment itself (in the storage closet next to the entrance, if I remember correctly - which is also where I probably would've kept any gardening tools if I'd had any).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
If you don't mind, could you take a photo of the bike storage area? I'm really curious about what that looks like. There may come a day when I end up in a smaller place like a condo or an apartment, and I'd like to know what kind of facilities there are for people who ride bikes.
Wow bike storage and you true your own wheels.

Don't have a garage but I still would not store my bikes there if I did. Mine are locked in the basement. I don't mind if they steal tools out of my shed. They would probably get more use out of them than me.

My back yard on a good spring evening.
[IMG]yard night by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 11:49 PM

That's a very Vancouver-looking cherry tree to me... That's in Edmonton? And nice yard

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 11:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm not going to post a picture of my house because that would be tantamount to telling the whole world who I am and where I live and then the stalkers would come out.

Instead, here's a photo from a few years back of my cat "precious" (note the cone of shame).

I'm very suspicious - this photo was on an old Photobucket account, and for some reason, it seems to be showing up correctly, despite the fact that I haven't paid them a nickel of the usurious fees they wanted for photo hosting services. If this image doesn't display for other people, let me know and I'll copy and paste it into Flickr.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm not going to post a picture of my house because that would be tantamount to telling the whole world who I am and where I live and then the stalkers would come out.
FYI, Acajack and I are both pretty good at figuring out who others here are based on tidbits of info gathered here and there. If we really wanted we could probably find out who you are

(I suspect he's figured out who I am already... or at least, I know he has all the tools available if he wished to, until I decide to delete my entire SSP posting history.)

As I mentioned in my first post, just like y'all, I also have this natural tendency to dislike the idea of "outing myself" here, for some reason. Interestingly though, every time I think about it from the other side, I can only reach the conclusion "they don't care who you are anyway, and wouldn't do anything differently if they knew".

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:38 AM

I think we've stumbled onto something - the Great Canadian Shed Thread. Serious click bait.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I think we've stumbled onto something - the Great Canadian Shed Thread. Serious click bait.
I thought this was the Great Canadian Cat Thread!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Do you guys want pictures of my basement...?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
My Montreal loft pied-à-terre : won best condo unit APCHQ 250-500k$ in 2016

House still under renos and redoing my loft basement right now.

Looks amazing! B-Loft?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 5:43 AM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Don't worry Arthur 'two sheds' Jackson will be popping in sometime soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjS3gzHetA

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
That's a very Vancouver-looking cherry tree to me... That's in Edmonton? And nice yard
That’s a Crabapple tree.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar777 View Post
Looks amazing! B-Loft?
Thanks and yeah. They are still units left. People don't like living in lofts in general.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Just curious what people's design tastes are around here
So you’re not gonna show your place?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Ornamental Cherry. Beautiful Blossoms and then crap berries all over the lawn in the fall. There is a Mayday tree right behind it that is full white at about the same time. We were lucky to find an older place on a ravine, also on the curve of a crescent. makes for a yard twice as large as most. The pond is covered in vegetation by late summer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada