HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 8:22 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

the back of the building shows the smoke stains.

I would think a floor crashing would sort of be a more extended 'boom' a chain reaction if you will--- one support gives then another etc. like a landslide..... not a stocato sounding 'boom'.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 8:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

Streets close as heritage building crashes down

April 19, 2008

HAMITLON - Streets in the downtown core have been blocked off this afternoon after the building adjacent to the Lister Block came crashing down.

Additional Emergency Police and Fire Officials were called to the scene shortly after 3 p.m. this afternoon when an area of the building buckled under the water pressure, causing the building to collapse within 15 minutes.

Police have closed James Street from King Street to York Street.

In a scheduled take-down that began yesterday, contractors were using high pressure hoses from the ground and the air to spray on the building.

More to come.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 9:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 10:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 10:27 PM

So...why were they blasting it with water under high pressure?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 10:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

Probably because it's cheap and keeps the dust down. It's quite revealing how unstable the building was when all it takes is high pressure water to take down a building.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 10:59 PM
Closed account

the building's facade didn't buckle because of intense water spraying - a source who was there at the time heard a large boom around 3 o'clock when a construction vehicle hit the back of the building causing it to come down today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38604820@N00/2425556247/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 11:03 PM
Closed account

Some interesting quotes from Saturday, April 19's Hamilton Spectator:

"We didn't make any decisions or approve anything with respect to any building except the Lister building itself," said Tim McCabe, the city's general manager of planning and economic development.

He said the demolition will take a week, rather than the usual three days, because the window casings will be removed by hand for their heritage value.

Joe Mancinelli, vice-president of LIUNA, said he expected much more of it to be gone by Monday. "If we do decide to put up a facade, we can use some of the original pieces," said Mancinelli.

- - -

Not after what happened today...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 2:53 AM
Closed account

it's high time we repo every property owned by these slum landlord criminals.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 7:53 AM
Closed account

come on, the window casings? who gives a sh*t?? does mancinelli really think that's gonna make people happy? either use the building or don't. these pathetic half-measures are patronizing.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
it's high time we repo every property owned by these slum landlord criminals.
And what I find hard to believe is that this was allowed to happen by a group that controls the unionized construction industry in our area, which is most of the industry. You would think if anyone could make something positive happen with these buildings it would be these people, if they put their minds to it. But they ended up being another slumlord/speculator playing the blame game with the city and with their hands in the taxpayers' pockets.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Think about this and if it's not leading to sabotage

- The yellow caution tape that went up the same day
- The smell of gas (urban explorers wouldn't tinker with gas pipes) Why was the gas still connected? If I don't pay my gas bill it's shut off in month (is this public record? perhaps if a investigation is going to happen then someone should examine the gas bills, was it turned-off? recently connected? I doubt the city will investigate, can citizens ask for an investigation?)
- The speed at which it gets torn down, so that no fire investigators will examine
- The firefighters were prevented from entering the building at the time of explosion. Not even to see if people were inside.
- Bratina asked staff to investigate the building that day, scheduled inspection the next day -- but it was too late
- the many 'mysterious' fires inside Lister

and the biggest reason....
- MOTIVE, the fact that LIUNA and HI RISE have been wanting to tear down these buildings for years.
Come on now.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 1:46 PM

Quote:
this is disgusting....like WTC building number 7 for petes sake.
What?!?!?! Don't you ever dare call any of my comments "hilarious" again.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 1:47 PM

Quote:
... Don't be surprised to find out that some street kids made a hefty sum of money from "some guy in a suit who told us to go in, smash stuff and break off the natural gas pipes which will be active". ...
I would be extremely surprised to find this out.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:51 PM
Hammer'd

The back of the building the morning after. No "smoke stains". This was an hour after the second collapse. The window frames that are left are not charred as would happen in a fire neither is there any other evidence of fire.

Seriously, give the conspiracy theories a rest.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 4:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'm no expert but we had two long months of non stop snow, record amount of snow. Then the building collapses as everything starts to unthaw after the weather finally started to warm up. The harsh winter probably took a toll on this building.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 5:31 PM

You know I don't see the big deal about seniors condos. These aren't nursing or retirement homes, they are probably aimed towards Baby-Boomers reaching retirement age who want to be in an "active" city.

If It were a retirement home i'd get the point, but they're likely for more active seniors who want to be hip.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 5:49 PM
On Guard For Thee

True Hamiltonguy. In Downtown Windsor--along the river, there have been several condo developments over the past 20 or 30 years--though none has been specifically geared to seniors--let's say the 'grayer' crowd represents a large portion of the residents--both the garden variety condos and those that are more upscale.

The result of this has been nearly constant bitching and moaning about noise from the Civic Terrace & Festival Plaza which are on the riverfront across the "street" from these highrises. As such, all of the large festivals that populate this area in the summer months have strict curfews--concerts, etc have to end by 11pm--it hasn't been conducive whatsoever to the entertainment "theme" of the riverfront lands. One of the challenges of expanding residential in the inner-city is dealing with issues like this. Folks inevitably move in and complain about noise, etc. These are the same types of people who bought land in Ancaster that's practically off the runway thresholds of the YHM and complain about noise at night--despite the airport having been present there since WW2. When I was a kid growing up we had several neighbors try to curtail racing at Flamboro Speedway because of noise and traffic--same issue...all were people in relatively new homes. The idea of seniors housing in that area is terrible--literally anywhere else downtown would be fine--but King William and James is a litany of complaints waiting to happen.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
My thoughts exactly, I actually get sick reading his stupid comments.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 11:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post

true enough...I shouldn't have used that parallel. WTC 7 was in perfect shape and fully occupied when imploded. These Lister buildings are admittedly in crappy shape and empty.
Nontheless, I still don't believe that this is a coincidence.
How was Walmart today?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton