HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Don't know about that re Raptor fans vs other NBA teams.
I will happily be corrected but it seems to me the Raps have been very effective in their branding as Canada's team. The main exceptions are probably Windsor (Pistons) and the Maritimes (Celtics).

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I also would say that most CIS basketball fans across Canada are Raptors fans as well.
I generally agree with this.

I'm not a passionate basketball fan (for me, hockey & football compete for #1, baseball is #3 and basketball is #4), but I have gone to the AUS final four tournament several times in Halifax, and am an occasional attendee at Moncton Miracles games.

There is no question that basketball, more so than the other sports that I have listed has to be seen live to be appreciated. The whole experience includes the dancers and the mascots and if the game is close, the fans in the stands really feed and build on the excitement on the court. Watching on TV just isn't the same thing.

I appreciate CIS and NBL basketball. It just has to be seen live. I haven't attended a Raptors game yet, but it's on my bucket list. It will be interesting to see what the live game day experience is like at a Raptors game.......

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:26 PM

Good article on Demar's continued improvement:
http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/...f-an-all-star/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:29 PM

Berklon waving the flag, thanks for the laugh, People died defending your love of American culture and denigrating Canada's, that's a good one. I literally have no problem with your American wannabeeism, it's when you shit on Canadian things is when I have a problem. And you started it here with your usual CFL shot. Seriously though using dying soldiers to defend your love of American culture is beyond the pale. It's your right but as Bubbles would say, it's G.R.E.A.S.Y.

Quote:
OQT Manila (Philippines) - Group A: 1. Turkey; 2. Senegal; 3. Canada | Group B: 1. France; 2. New Zealand; 3. Philippines
Can we beat all these teams and get to the Olympics? Mission possible I say, but our ranking is lower than I think it should be.

1. USA
2. Spain
3. Lithuania
4. Argentina
5. France
8. Turkey
21. New Zealand
26. Canada
28. Philippines
31. Senegal

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I will happily be corrected but it seems to me the Raps have been very effective in their branding as Canada's team. The main exceptions are probably Windsor (Pistons) and the Maritimes (Celtics).
Again, I don't know about that. I've lived in all three Maritime provinces and have never heard of any extra love for the Celts. It's the same as using the historical argument for Maritimers following the Red Sox. Historically, before the Expos that may have been true, and local cable systems carried Red Sox games but the Jays have definately superceded them.

As for a groundswell for the Celtics never heard of it, not saying there aren't pockets of fans but I would say the Raps would have a bigger following than that and they don't have all that big a following. People might wear the bling but I don't think they are engaged in the team in any way (re watching)

Of course if you go to a high school and are involved with basketball you are more likely to be exposed to these things but outside of that in the general community not so much.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I haven't attended a Raptors game yet, but it's on my bucket list. It will be interesting to see what the live game day experience is like at a Raptors game.......
I was taken out by vendors on 3 separate occasions to Raptors games at the ACC. Each time sitting in a much different location... centre court half-way up the stands, mid-level box and gondala-level box. The live experience was great - which says a lot for someone who's not much of a basketball fan. The place was packed all three times and the crowd was lively. It was definitely a much younger crowd - didn't see many 50+ year olds at all. The average age was probably early 30s.

Highly recommended especially if you're a basketball fan.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:45 PM

Well yeah unlike the average age of the average CFL fan (50s) it's definitely a younger livelier and typically more urban crowd. Even more so than baseball which like the CFL tends to attract a older suburban fan.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Berklon waving the flag, thanks for the laugh, People died defending your love of American culture and denigrating Canada's, that's a good one. I literally have no problem with your American wannabeeism, it's when you shit on Canadian things is when I have a problem
I shit on things that aren't quality - nationality has nothing to do with it.
If you can't accept that and stop discriminating - then it's your problem. Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing... this isn't China.
Stop trying to be the great defender of all things Canadian - no one hired you for the job and no one signed up for the lecture. Get over yourself.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
Well yeah unlike the average age of the average CFL fan (50s) it's definitely a younger livelier and typically more urban crowd. Even more so than baseball which like the CFL tends to attract a older suburban fan.
Seeing as you and your American cousin Berklon have upped your CFL shots (Berklon your trolling (sig and avator) is oh so subtle) you should at least be informed about baseball. But as usual the ignorance is deafening. Who goes to Jays games these days? 50 plus? I think not, but an audience closer to this...

Video Link

Last edited by elly63; Jan 31, 2016 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
If you can't accept that and stop discriminating - then it's your problem. Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing... this isn't China.
Stop trying to be the great defender of all things Canadian - no one hired you for the job and no one signed up for the lecture. Get over yourself.
It gives me hope that you protest so much as it's painfully obvious deep down you know you are not doing right.

And how can you talk about quality when you know nothing about what's going on here because your head is so far up American ass.

You know you love to troll the Canada hate stuff (you can't help it) and you know you'll get a response when you do it. I'm more than happy to oblige and set the record straight. Don't do it and you don't hear from me, it's really, really simple.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
Yes, urban - that's definitely a great way to describe a lot of the crowd.
Another word to describe them is diverse - a lot of non-white people at the games... many Asian and African-American.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 5:11 PM

Quote:
But as usual the ignorance is deafening.

Video Link
Speaking of ignorance... you do realize that these girls who are taking selfies are part of a contest at the game where you tweet your fan photo, right? It's right there in the video too.

Quote:
It gives me hope that you protest so much as it's painfully obvious deep down you know you are not doing right.

Says the person who stalks me looking for things to fault. I remember a few years ago you wound up in the Hamilton section countering something I said - a section you really had no reason to be in since you're not in Hamilton (or even close to Hamilton).

It's weird because I only see you in the sports threads. You do realize there are much more important things in this world than sports, right? Certainly not something to go on constant rants for.
I think you really need to step away from the keyboard and not take things so personally. Relax, it's only sports. You must leave a charmed life if sports is the only thing you have to worry about. Go outside and enjoy the weather. Spend some time with friends and family. Breathe - everything will be OK.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 5:19 PM

Uhh no, I was exposing the myth of the audience in baseball being older and that MLB has probably the best on line presence of all major league sports.

Berkie boy, you can try and deflect the argument all you want, when you stop shitting on things Canadian and promoting the USA, you don't hear from me. It's so simple even you can understand it.

I can't post in a Hamilton thread? Didn't you just say people died for my right to free speech? You're confusing me now.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 5:53 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
i shit on things that aren't quality - nationality has nothing to do with it.
If you can't accept that and stop discriminating - then it's your problem. Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing... This isn't china.
Stop trying to be the great defender of all things canadian - no one hired you for the job and no one signed up for the lecture. Get over yourself.
+1 well said.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:01 PM

^
Quote:
I shit on things that aren't quality
mistercorporate, you do realize he includes TFC in that

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:04 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Really, are you that thinned skinned?
Fact: Media Centre of Canada is Toronto
Fact: Sports Media Centre of Canada is Toronto
Fact: What we see on network TV is decided in Toronto
Fact: All CIS sports take a back seat to NCAA

Result: I would like the media deciders in Toronto to give the homegrown Canadian college teams a little love once in awhile.
If you dont like it then watch local tv, local Saskatchewan movies and local sports, noones forcing you to watch Toronto productions. Cut the cable and watch over the air stuff locally.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:04 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
And what if we reject your notion of inferiority and just want to watch games that we can relate to? How about you try something completely different and avoid this thread if this notion of inferiority is sacrosanct to you. Just a hint.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Cut the cable and watch over the air stuff locally.
??? Are you familiar with how a network operates?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:08 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
^mistercorporate, you do realize he includes TFC in that
Keep trolling dude, he can watch what he wants, i dont care, its the height of insecurity to piss on another mans taste because of your fear that your own preferred mode of entertainment will get overshadowed.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
And what if we reject your notion of inferiority and just want to watch games that we can relate to? How about you try something completely different and avoid this thread if this notion of inferiority is sacrosanct to you. Just a hint.
What also bothers me is this notion of inferiority is based on myth from 30 years ago and they judge "inferiority" without a clue to what is and has gone on in this country.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada