HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

15 Hudson Yards in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 9:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
The Culture Shed is a great idea, what's even better is that the city's putting up a considerable amount for it. Really adds some confidence to the project, and furthermore, the Hudson Yards.
Creating an entire district like this, it couldn't just be all office and residential space. There had to be something else to make it a vital, mixed-use area like the rest of Manhattan. There had to be something to get people who won't work or otherwise live there to visit. It helps that the High Line park wraps around the site, there will be major shopping, dining, theaters, and the observation decks to also serve as a draw.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 12:35 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.complex.com/style/2013/09...k-fashion-week

Hudson Yards May Inherit New York Fashion Week

By Gregory Babcock
Sep 3, 2013

Quote:
While rumors of New York Fashion Week moving to Hudson Yards are not new, recent developments have sprung up in the area, revitalizing the belief that the west Manhattan location will soon inherit NYFW.

Currently, construction plans have combined with fashion's fairy godmother, Diane von Furstenburg, to commence work on a "Culture Shed" that will be outfitted with studio and presentation spaces, runways, and 140-foot high movable canopy. While this does sound very modern, attractive and "capital F" fashion, the developers involved with the project insist that the space is planned to be "non-denominational."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 1:33 PM

Who the heck researched that article? Distance from the subway? It's going to be a stone's throw from the new 7 stop, which will be several years into operation by the time they build this out.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 1:20 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Hard to believe, but people don't really understand these things until they see them. The subway opening is not that far off.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 4:52 PM
Build Baby Build

I would venture a guess and say that most people, even New Yorkers, have no idea of any new infrastructure construction beyond the two sentences they may glance at in the train car in the morning. Whoever wrote that article for Complex clearly has no idea.

edit: Wow nice journalism. The guy from Complex pretty much paraphrased the exact same article from Racked (a division of Curbed, whose writers should know about infrastructure projects in NY, especially new subway stations right beneath new megaprojects that have been underway for several years). The internet journalism game is such a crock of shit.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 11:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
I would venture a guess and say that most people, even New Yorkers, have no idea of any new infrastructure construction
Most people are basically aware of the subway line they use on a daily basis, and maybe a few others, but are probably ignorant about infrastructure projects within the entire system because it is so large, and it doesn't affect they're daily lives, until maybe the weekend. When the 7 line extension opens, there will still be little notice until something gets built over there other than the Javits. People need a reason to have to figure out how to get there by subway. I see it all the time, half the people don't know where the hell they are going it seems, unless its on their way to and from work.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 8:24 PM
New Yorker for life

From Related's Hudson Yards facebook page...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 1:35 AM

Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
I would venture a guess and say that most people, even New Yorkers, have no idea of any new infrastructure construction beyond the two sentences they may glance at in the train car in the morning. Whoever wrote that article for Complex clearly has no idea.

edit: Wow nice journalism. The guy from Complex pretty much paraphrased the exact same article from Racked (a division of Curbed, whose writers should know about infrastructure projects in NY, especially new subway stations right beneath new megaprojects that have been underway for several years). The internet journalism game is such a crock of shit.
Yeah, that was a piece of garbage: "Complex. Buy. Collect. Obsess."

But by clicking on that month old article I discovered that Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe are in a video game (Beyond: Two Souls) being released today...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 6:20 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.elle.com/news/fashion-sty...son-yards-move

It’s Official! New York Fashion Week Is Moving to Hudson Yards

October 23 2013
by Victoria Dawson Hoff

Quote:
We had an inkling that change was in the air at New York Fashion Week, and there were even predictions of what might take place. But now, it’s official: WWD reports that at the Fashion Group International’s Night of Stars, Mayor Michael Bloomberg called Hudson Yards “the future home of New York Fashion Week.” And the move has some major financial backing in the industry: Coach CEO Lew Frankfort announced that the label, which is currently undergoing some rebranding itself, donated $15 million to the project.

It was only in 2010 that fashion week first moved from Bryant Park to its current home in Lincoln Center, but logistically, the new location makes sense—Hudson Yards will provide a lot more space than either of the previous sites. The downtown move will also allow for closer proximity to several of the industry’s biggest showrooms and studios.

We’re sure that more details, including exact dates, are to come.

http://www.fashionweekdaily.com/the-...o-hudson-yards

Coach CEO Lew Frankfort Donates $15 Million To Hudson Yards

October 21, 2013

Quote:
Last night while receiving the award for corporate leadership at Fashion Group International's Night of Stars, Coach CEO and chairman Lew Frankfort announced that the brand would be donating $15 million to Hudson Yards. Coach, Inc. is said to be buying over 600,000 square feet in the first tower of the Hudson Yards site and will occupy the bottom third of the building according to the New York Times.

So what does that mean for fashion? "He's helping usher in an incredible future for the West Side of Manhattan," said Mayor Bloomberg, who presented the award to Frankfort. "It will soon be the home of New York Fashion Week. It’s the first time fashion week is really going to have a home." No official dates have been released yet so stay tuned.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 7:49 PM
don't *meddle*...

Height increase!!

http://www.skyscraper.org/EXHIBITION...udsonyards.php

Quote:
Hudson Yards Tower D
Northeast corner 11th Avenue and West 30th Street
Developer: Related Companies, Oxford Properties Group
Design Architect: Diller Scofidio + Renfro / Rockwell Group
Architect of Record: Ismael Leyva Architects
Structural Engineers: WSP Cantor Seinuk
MEP Engineers: Jaros Baum & Bolles
Height: 870 ft. | 70 floors
G.F.A.: 855,000 sq. ft
Units - 364

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 8:07 PM

Is there an official start date for this building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 11:37 PM

Per a post on SSC, Related has already chosen Corcoran to market the condos in this building and the Equinox tower, so can't be that far off. I also for some reason I remember mid 2014 as the expected kick off, but if they've chosen firm to sell the condos, they must be close.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:41 PM
don't *meddle*...

Hmm ...from CTBUH:

Quote:
Figures
Height: Architectural 278.6 meter / 914 feet
Height: Occupied 258.2 meter / 847 feet
Height: To Tip 278.6 meter / 914 feet
Floors Above Ground 72
Floors Below Ground 1
# of Elevators 7
Tower GFA 74,322 m² / 799,995 ft²
# of Apartments 300
A 900 footer? I wonder where that info is coming from.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:53 PM
don't *meddle*...

Alright, the info comes directly from the architects (thanks to Vertical_Gotham @SSC); here's the video:

Video Link

We have a new 900 footer!!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:02 PM

This building looks like 4 smokestacks stuffed into a box with the transition area wrapped in duct tape.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 4:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
I also for some reason I remember mid 2014 as the expected kick off, but if they've chosen firm to sell the condos, they must be close.
This was supposed to kick off along with the Coach tower, neither needs to be built over the platform that is to be constructed.

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fash...=Retail-latest

By David Lipke
November 25, 2013

Quote:
.....Last Wednesday morning, a small clique of New York’s reigning power players gathered in the Meatpacking District offices of Diane von Furstenberg for the type of breakfast meeting that shapes cities, literally and figuratively. Terry J. Lundgren of Macy’s and Lew Frankfort of Coach were there, along with Andrew Rosen of Theory, Vera Wang, Anna Wintour, Hearst Magazine’s Michael Clinton and the Council of Fashion Designers of America’s Steven Kolb.

The high-powered powwow was engineered to discuss plans — and build support — for the Culture Shed, the ballyhooed arts center that is meant to become the new home of New York Fashion Week once it’s completed around 2017. The striking structure will serve as an anchor of the ambitious Hudson Yards development on the West Side of Manhattan, currently under construction and set to become a marquee capstone of Bloomberg’s 12-year tenure at City Hall, which comes to a close next month.

Bloomberg’s presence at the huddle and his lobbying to move fashion week to the Culture Shed — to which he has dedicated $50 million in city funds — were emblematic of the cozy relationship he has cultivated with certain factions of the fashion industry during his time as mayor. More broadly, through the city’s Economic Development Corporation, he has launched numerous initiatives to boost the fashion sector and he’s been front-and-center at countless industry events over the years, from kicking off the very first Fashion’s Night Out in a Queens mall with Michael Kors to rubbing elbows with Miley Cyrus at Fashion Group International’s most recent Night of Stars.

Bloomberg’s embrace of the fashion industry is predicated on the personal and practical, economic and aesthetic, he explained. “Fashion has a number of things. One, there’s a business answer: $72 billion worth of [wholesale] business, it generates a couple of billion dollars worth of tax revenue, employs 180,000 people in the city,” rattled off the mayor. “Then there is the psychological contribution. People want to be in fashion. Not working in it, but to be au courant, if you will. They take great pride in it. They envision themselves. You see yourself in a woman’s magazine and you think that if you bought that dress you’ll look like her. No you won’t, I hate to break that to you, but nevertheless. So I think the fashion industry’s contribution — everyone focuses on the economics — but to me it has always been more that it provides the pizzazz and interest [to a city]. It’s like cultural institutions and parks — these are all things that differentiate a city from cement. And the fashion industry has done that. Fashion is an expression of culture.”

In at least that respect, even Paris has nothing on New York, in Bloomberg’s estimation. “We have 900 fashion houses here. Double the number of Paris,” he boasted — and that fashionable sheen to the hustle and bustle of New York is what attracts all sorts of people to this megalopolis, and keeps them here. “If we are ahead in fashion, that’s going to get a bunch of people to move here and stay here and who will then contribute in whatever their specialties are, whether it’s philanthropists that help or doctors who treat or businesspeople that create jobs or publishers that inform. It all fits together.”

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 3:12 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 15 Hudson Yards (The Corset) | 914 FT | 72 FLOORS

The Corset (15 Hudson Yards) deserves its share of models:

Photo Credit: New York YIMBY

15 HY far right

15 HY far right

Photo Credit: Field Condition
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
15 HY on the right, Culture Shed to the immediate east of 15 HY

I think this is a photo of where the Culture Shed will rise:

Photo Credit: chelseanow.com
Photo Published: December 4, 2013

Rebar for the Culture Shed? I think the Culture Tower should rise where the yellow digger is on that dirt mound. Correct me if I'm wrong!

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Dec 7, 2013 at 3:21 AM. Reason: edits

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 2:18 PM

15 HY dependent on tunnel box provided foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeworm View Post
The Corset (15 Hudson Yards) deserves its share of models:

15 HY far right

15 HY far right

Photo Credit: Field Condition

15 HY on the right, Culture Shed to the immediate east of 15 HY

I think this is a photo of where the Culture Shed will rise:

Photo Credit: chelseanow.com
Photo Published: December 4, 2013

Rebar for the Culture Shed? I think the Culture Tower should rise where the yellow digger is on that dirt mound. Correct me if I'm wrong!
AFAIK, it is the rebar foundation slab/etc for the Culture She.

AFAIK, the exposed soil area is where the Culture Tower/15 HY will rise. I know of no officially stated date for tower start/completion, other than hudsonyardsnewyork.com's:
"The first two residential offerings, 15 Hudson Yards and 35 Hudson Yards, will be available within the next few years"

In addition the design studies for the now-under-construction Amtrak Gateway tunnel box state that the tunnel box will have to support the northern foundation loads of 15 HY. The diagram below is from the tunnel box design study, the tunnel box will contain two isolated RR tracks, hence the two square boxes within the rectangle in Figure 2-2. It's a study, so there are a few alternatives studied. The tunnel box, caissons, etc. will be in the blasted into bedrock trench that will be create din the excavation pit, shown further down in the post. This text form the study gives you an idea in the load differences in different tunnel box sections:

Quote:
Section A: The southwest end of the alignment, adjacent to Eleventh Avenue, is characterized by the high column loads imposed by the Overbuild Tower D [15 Hudson Yards] (10,000 kip column loads). The tunnel alignment is also at its deepest in this section.

Section AB: This section of the tunnel alignment is occupied by shop tracks serving the MOE Building and is characterized by multiple columns carrying the Overbuild platform only (2,000 kip loads).

IIRC, the tunnel box will be finished within two years along with the 15 HY foundations within the tunnel box excavation itself.
So, really, I think 15 HY can only start rising in 2015, based upon completion of the tunnel box.

Based upon the frequently mentioned overbuild platform/structure foundation start date of January 2014 (& the status of the rail yard) I assume THAT overbuild foundation work will start within the Tutor-Perini controlled tunnel box construction area, just NOT within the excavation itself. See snippet of hardcoreshutterbug photo below. He took this photo from the Ohm apartment building looking north (and down).

The outlined in red area is the T-P controlled tunnel box area, the yellow excavator is starting excavation of the soil within the excavation box pit that is defined by the grayish white secant pile perimeter wall. The yellow auger drill at top right has been working on creating the secant pile perimeter Support-Of-Excavation wall. AFAIK, the perimeter wall was still incomplete on the 12-2-2013 photo date. The VERY active LIRR train yard is north of the top red line; once the off-screen ramp to 10th Ave is demolished the main measn of access to the the red outlines area will be driving underneath the 11th Ave viaduct on the left. I assume that path will be taken by the muck trucks removing the blasted bedrock once the excavation reaches bedrock sometime next year.

For reference, the "dirt mound" (really a dirt ramp & dirt pit) in tubeworm's "Culture Tower should rise where the yellow digger is on that dirt mound" is south of the bottom left corner of the photo. That dirt mound area is part of the OTHER "terra-firma" Tutor-Perini controlled construction area, part of which is shown in the bottom right of the photo.

So, the 15 HY foundations will go in the left side of the red outlined area and in the "dirt mound" area of the photo in tubeworm's post.

The 15 HY foundations in the tunnel box area will be (STURDY) columns rising between the LIRR tracks that T-P will restore on the fill once they build the tunnel box/overbuild platform-structure caissons and bury it with fill. LIRR tracks were removed (& LIRR functions relocated) to make room for the tunnel box construction area

original photo hardcoreshutterbox http://www.flickr.com/photos/hardcor...g/11180452394/

And last, the ZD1 diagram for the South tower that was filed with NYC 13 months ago that might show the relationship between the concrete/rebar section of terra-firma and the dirt/ramp & pit at the SW corner of this super-block (NE corner of 11th Ave & High Line). I think the dirt pit/Concrete-rebar line is defined by the Culture Shed platform/plaza/whatever to the right of the text "ELEVENTH AVE. SIDEWALK LINE 5' FROM etc.". The west side of the actual South Tower is on the snip's right, bottom for reference

Last edited by vkristof; Dec 7, 2013 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 1:42 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

This is the one tower that has stayed pretty consistent, at least after designs were revealed.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 9:45 PM

BTW for frame of reference's sake, put Citigroup right next to this and I think you'll really appreciate the difference that "1 foot taller" really makes at this scale.
Edit: Aw heck...Look at Coach and you've got the shortest piece of this development less than 50' taller than the RCA (GE) Building!

Last edited by JayPro; Dec 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive