HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 11:12 AM

Downtown - City Creek Continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post

By T-Mac

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 9:03 AM

........A few of the many recent and ongoing projects at the U. of U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
University of Utah

By T-Mac

Last edited by delts145; Aug 17, 2010 at 9:15 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 11:40 AM

Plans for Salt Lake City soccer complex moving forward

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...g-forward.html

SALT LAKE CITY — An environmental group's 11th-hour effort to delay a Tuesday hearing on the new, taxpayer-funded soccer complex near the Jordan River was denied Monday by a 3rd District Court judge...

The Deseret News

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 5:15 AM

I never get tired of looking at this pic.

Photographer Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
I've got this:

That's months ago. A new one from there would be great now that cladding is pretty much done on Regent and Prom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4vok View Post

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 11:42 AM

Downtown Adjacent - Renovation and Expansion of Historic Trolley Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
So I was near Trolley Square today and decided to take some pictures. I got quite a few
while just walking through and getting a feel for the area, but then a rent-a-cop with a drill sergeant/lemon squeezer
hat came up to me and told me I couldn't take photos without permission and asked me to take my camera and leave.
I told her I was just taking pictures of the new buildings and newly refurbished open spaces, and that it was
only good publicity on the mall's part and that she was only fighting a good thing by enforcing a pointless rule.
She then told me "pretty much all malls don't allow photography" as if that were supposed to mean anything. I would
be a bit surprised if I were kicked out of Gateway for taking photos. But hey, it makes me wonder, will I ever be
allowed to take pictures of City Creek from the inside, once it's finished? Maybe not.. that would really suck, but at
least Todd will get to (sort of). So anyway, here's a bleh collection of photos.

I like to think that I try fairly hard to keep track of the events going on around the valley, especially when
they're development related (it seems the newspapers only let you know about stuff that's already happened),
but this is the first I've heard of this "Grand Re-Opening," this Saturday. I would like to have gone but not
being able to take photos kind of ruins it for me, so screw them. That's not to mention the fact that they only have
a total of 29 businesses at Trolley Square and it feels like a ghost town. Seems like shying away from any
form of advertising is the last thing they ought to be doing right now.
Quote:

By John Martin

Last edited by delts145; Aug 18, 2010 at 11:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 11:48 AM
BANNED

Very beautiful!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Urban beekeeping abuzz downtown

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/neighbo...hitby.html.csp

...Suddenly, flower gardens from the Avenues to Temple Square and beyond have hundreds of flying visitors
who forage for pollen and nectar then buzz back to the library to create honey...

...Utah’s capital now joins Vancouver, Toronto, London, Paris and Chicago, which also host thriving beehives on
buildings...

Central Metro - Salt Lake City & Valley
Quote:

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 11:40 AM

Could an iconic public market transform SLC?

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

A developer who stirred Salt Lake City’s east bench into a frenzy about the relocation of the Blue Boutique now wants to transfigure downtown’s southwest tip with an eye-popping year-round public market...

Rendering courtesy of Rinaldo Hunt The entryway to a proposed San Francisco-style public market would feature a signature archway sign near the off-ramp from Interstate 15.

A developer who stirred Salt Lake City’s east bench into a frenzy about the relocation of the Blue Boutique now wants to transfigure downtown’s southwest tip with an eye-popping year-round public market.

Rinaldo Hunt and his property group are pitching a $30 million to $50 million plan to create a San Francisco-style Ferry Building galleria in a cavernous steel foundry alongside 600 South and 500 West.

The vision calls for produce vendors, eateries, an urban agriculture education center, and a tree-lined promenade beneath an iconic “public market” sign visible from Interstate 15’s City Center exit.

Rendering courtesy of Rinaldo Hunt A plan pitched by developer Rinaldo Hunt and a local property group would create a San Francisco-style public market in a warehouse near 600 South and 400 West in downtown Salt Lake City. Here is a view from the southeast parking area at the pedestrian entryway.

At 14 acres, covering nearly two city blocks, the proposed project is almost as big as City Creek Center. And, in terms of transformative potential for the warehouse-laden granary district, it’s nearly as ambitious.

Besides creating jobs and vibrancy, Hunt believes an 80,000 square-foot public market would be a triumph to the burgeoning local-food movement as well as Mayor Ralph Becker’s sustainability push.

“It is one of a kind — no one’s done this yet,” Hunt says about his blueprint hugging the city’s gateway. “It can actually be done in this economy. This is basically going to be the mecca for information on urban agriculture.”

Rendering courtesy of Rinaldo Hunt

But questions stack as high as the foundry’s 47-foot ceiling.

Is it too big? Too far from public transit? Would it ruin Pioneer Park’s popular Downtown Farmers Market? Could it really get funded?

For nearly a year, Hunt’s Downtown Salt Lake Public Market LLC has done its homework. The group is made up of property owners from 400 West to 600 West, sandwiched between 600 South and 700 South. They believe the money could be raised through a triple-headed strategy of private cash, Redevelopment Agency dollars, and reinvested taxes through a Community Development Area.

Hunt has a track record, albeit on smaller projects. In recent years he moved the adult novelty shop Blue Boutique and opened Italian restaurant Sea Salt across the street from Emigration Market.

The public market price tag is actually half of Becker’s planned Broadway-style theater on Main Street, though Hunt argues the market would do more to brand Utah’s capital for tourists — not unlike Pike Place Market in Seattle.

The mayor says he is unaware of the proposal, though a representative is scheduled to tour the site Sept. 7 along with 20 city officials.

“It’s a really ambitious idea — I won’t fault the grandiosity of the idea,” says Jason Mathis, executive director of the Downtown Alliance. “But I don’t know that it’s the right thing to do for our community at this time.”

Mathis points out key problems. No doubt a “cool” building, it is four times larger than a consultant recommended in a 2008 feasibility study. It lacks a public-transportation hub. And because the central business district ends at 400 South, he notes there is no way the Alliance could support the project with marketing.

Instead, Mathis says the city should capitalize on the strength of “one of the most successful farmers markets in the country.”

“It would be a shame to draw away from what is going on in the Pioneer Park area right now,” Mathis says, “to support a project that is outside the central business district.”

Hunt argues the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. The 600 South freeway ramp shoots 50,000 cars right by the building each day. More than 425 parking stalls would be available one block east. And if city engineers indeed pursue a streetcar route along 400 West, the market would be easily accessible for TRAX and FrontRunner commuters.

The large scope is also intended to make the market a destination. Large patches have been penciled for retail shops. A two-story residential building, perhaps built with RDA help, is planned. And Hunt hopes to partner with the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food for an outdoor produce area west of the foundry.

To create yet more ambiance — the building would have bay doors and movable windows for an open-air experience —500 West would be narrowed to one lane, sharing space with pedestrians and a possible orchard.

“I’m actually excited about how ambitious it is and the ties with the local food economy,” says downtown City Councilman Luke Garrott. “You don’t want to locate something where it is the single, pioneering project. But due to its scale, it might be the catalyst to spur development in the whole granary, depot district.”

Still, Garrott questions the sprawling parking lot and whether it could be managed without Downtown Alliance help.

In any case, the timing seems right. Plenty of evidence suggests the local food movement is growing in the progressive capital. Two micro-markets popped up this summer: local growers set up weekly produce booths at 9th and 9th and at the Sugar House monument.

More and more restaurants, from Squatters and Tin Angel to Sages and Pago embrace the “pasture to plate” concept. Some buy from backyards. And more residents each year patronize co-ops and local-food providers. Becker also beefed up the city’s food-policy task force recently as part of his sustainability drive.

Claire Uno, executive director of Wasatch Community Gardens, praises Hunt for trying to tap a local food community that already exists. “In theory, I think the idea of some sort of public market for Salt Lake is fantastic,” she says. “People are excited to learn where food comes from and how to grow it.”

The foundering economy has seemingly been a boon to the local food industry. On that front, city leaders have tried, unsuccessfully, to establish a public market near Pioneer Park and the light-rail lines. They briefly considered the warehouse north of the transit hub, though Utah Transit Authority, the building owner, prefers a mix of shops and housing.

Half of the property under the Hunt proposal, from 400 West to 500 West, is part of the Granary District Redevelopment Area. Even so, the RDA does not own any of that property, according to executive director D.J. Baxter.

“We just haven’t had time to absorb it or analyze it,” Baxter says about the public market proposal. One problem he sees: such a large-scale plan would not work at a commercial-market rate because vendors could not afford it.

“It seems like the rates at the market would have to be very low for that to work. That probably requires a nontraditional financial structure,” Baxter says.

Hunt insists his grand market meets more of the city consultants’ marks than it misses. A review of the list reveals that is mostly true.

“What we’re trying to do is direct some tax dollars to create jobs,” Hunt says. “I want the community to be involved. At the end of the day, this is a true representation of the city.”

What’s next? City plans tour

Nearly two dozen city officials have agreed to tour an 80,000 square-foot steel foundry and surrounding property Sept. 7, which a new development group envisions as the Salt Lake City Public Market. The project site, which hugs the 600 South City Center freeway ramp, is just a proposal.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 10:56 AM

post moved

Last edited by delts145; Aug 24, 2010 at 2:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 11:52 AM

Downtown Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4vok View Post
Looking at Promontory today...it isn't yellow at all with the naked eye. It is beige or some sort of tan...maybe with a slight hint of yellow. That's just the color it looks like when you increase the saturation too much. PS. the crane on Promontory was almost completely down.

By H4vok

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
This rendering from downtownrising.com gives a nice idea of the width and feel of the mall portion of City Creek Center:

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 12:11 PM

Downtown Updates...

Quote:
New Projects...

Questar Building (6 stories):

Harmon's Grocery Store (by SOM) and future site of Tower 8 (20 stories), part of City Creek:

Future site of Salt Lake's public safety building (4 stories):

Future site of federal courthouse (10 stories, Frank E. Moss courthouse addition/expansion):

By John Martin

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 7:41 PM

This is one of my favorite pics yet of this grouping of buildings. I especially like the Promontory in this shot. What a beautiful tower it has turned out to be.

By H4vok

Last edited by delts145; Aug 27, 2010 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 12:11 PM

Downtown - August 20th

Quote:

The Regent

The Promontory
By John Martin

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 6:26 PM

Southern Metro Updates

Quote:
Officials open Pioneer Crossing to motorists

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...motorists.html

SARATOGA SPRINGS — The six-mile, $260 million Pioneer Crossing and its newfangled I-15 interchange opened to traffic Monday morning...

Cars traveling on the newly opened Pioneer Crossing road in Utah County on Monday. (Stuart Johnson, Deseret News)

Cars at the new "diverging diamond" interchange in American Fork on Monday. The interchange is the first of its kind in Utah. (Stuart Johnson, Deseret News)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 10:43 AM

Salt Lake City Metro ~ The Montage ~ Another 5 star hotel taking shape

http://www.montagedeervalley.com/lan...MDV02_Branding
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slc_jm/4852206772/

Quote:
^^^
...The Montage is definately a stunner, and will contribute a great deal in keeping Deer Valley the #1 top rated resort by SKI.

Another very exciting, ongoing process is what is happening at the 'Canyons Resort'. I am soooo glad that Talisker won out over Vail development. Talisker to the Utah ski industry is kind of like Rio Tinto to Utah's mining. Talisker has immense clout, VERY deep pockets and the will to do things right. There is no doubt that the Canyons Resort will ultimately emerge as the largest single ski resort in the U.S., and one of the continents most formiddable competitors in luring in the tourist market.

Canyons Ski Resort

'Canyons' announces major expansion plans - Uphill capacity to increase 47 percent

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_1584270...ce=most_viewed

Talisker will be "re-creating" its Park City resort over the next 15 months. Changes to be ready for opening day include new branding, new gondolas, new lifts and a new village center...

...Goar said he believes these changes are the most significant improvements any resort is making in North America this year. They may be the most significant improvements made in years, he added.

Furthermore, he anticipates the first phase of construction to attract attention and raise the profile of Utah skiing.

"The strength of this business in the long term is the synergy that exists with the other resorts," he said.

"Our investment here is part of the larger thesis of Utah skiing," Boardman added...
Salt Lake City Resorts - Major Expansion and Upgrades for The Canyons

Quote:
The Canyons in Park City to expand terrain, add heated lift seats, new runs, snow machine...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...w-machine.html

Artist's rendering of the new center of the Village where the new gondola will be based as part of upgrades at The Canyons Resort in Park City. (The Canyons Resort)

...The "bubble" chair lifts were purchased from Austria and will be the only ones of their kind in the U.S., said Mike Goar, the resort's managing director.

"That heated chair — it changes your whole outlook on a cold day," Goar said.

The resort also plans to change its name to "Canyons," leaving off "The" and "Resort." It will rebrand itself, starting with an ad campaign that asks, "How do you mountain?"

...Beyond the new-age bubble chairs, Canyons and its owner, Talisker, have purchased a snow-making machine and a 20 million-gallon reservoir, plus a lift to Iron Mountain that opens 300 acres of new terrain. If everything goes as planned, that would put the resort at about 4,000 skiable acres, with a total 176 trails.

That terrain, especially in high elevations, will allow an increase by about 50 percent in the number of skiers who get to the top, due to the lift featuring the orange bubble seats. The new lift replaces the Golden Eagle...

Mike Goar announces changes at The Canyons while Paul Boardman takes shelter under a new bubble enclosed quad lift chair, which offers comforts such as heated seats. Tom Smart, Deseret News

Gondola cars for a new gondola lift sit on a trailer at Park City ski resort, which is being renamed to just Canyons... (Handout, Handout)

Utah’s Canyons resort unwraps multimillion-dollar upgrades

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...ndola.html.csp

The biggest upgrade of The Canyons in at least 14 years is steaming toward completion in time for the official start of the resort’s ski season on the day after Thanksgiving.

Several projects are under way that will add more trails and lifts, relocate the gondola and double The Canyons’ snow-making capacity, resort executives said Thursday...

...The price tag is unclear. Burnette said he didn’t have a firm figure, but he acknowledged that Canyons owner Talisker Corp., which bought the resort in 2007, is spending “tens of millions” of dollars.

Details of the project:

• To speed customers onto the mountain, the base terminal of the eight-passenger Flight of the Canyons gondola is being moved closer to the uphill terminus of the cabriolet “people mover” lift. That lift starts at the parking lot at the bottom of Canyons Resort Drive. Instead of walking 150 yards between the cabriolet and the gondola, customers will now need to walk only a few feet.

• The Golden Eagle chair lift serving Lookout Peak is being torn out. An as yet unnamed high-speed quad lift will replace the slower two-seat Golden Eagle. The new quad will start from the old gondola base terminus.

Bennette said the new quad will increase capacity to the top of Lookout Peak by 47 percent. It will continue on to a termination point south of Sunpeak Lift. Travel time will be nine minutes.

Right now, the new quad is being called the “orange-bubble chair.” Bennette said skiers will sit on heated seats inside see-through orange bubbles that evoke the feeling of being inside a pair of ski goggles.

• Ten runs ranging from intermediate to advanced-intermediate are being carved on the northwest face of Iron Mountain.

• A 4,000-foot high-speed quad lift will carry skiers and boarders to the top of Iron Mountain.

• The resort is building a reservoir on the mountain above Lookout Peak and Sunpeak that can hold more than 18 million gallons of water, Elizabeth Dowd, Canyons spokeswoman, said.

The water will be used to double the resort’s snow-making potential. The extra capacity will allow customers to ski all the way to the foot of the mountain on the first days of the season, when natural snow is insufficient to cover the runs from top to bottom, instead of riding the gondola to the base.

• A public area called the Ski Beach will be located between the base of the new gondola and the new quad lifting skiers to Lookout Peak.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 25, 2010 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 11:20 AM

Downtown - City Creek Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
A few shots with my phone camera on Saturday.

By DMTower

Last edited by delts145; Aug 25, 2010 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 2:10 AM

Downtown - City Creek Updates Continued...

Quote:

By DMTower

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:

By DMTower

Last edited by delts145; Aug 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 9:27 PM

Quote:

By DMTower

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations