HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 2:27 PM

I was in Chicago for the first time in about 5 years, and the new sign almost totally ruins the street/river view of the building. It's so depressing.

Hopefully some other investor will buy the tower or something. I don't see how the city allowed this to happen.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 5:40 PM
Its the Sears Tower

I just saw the building in person yesterday, and I must admit the Trump sign was the first thing I noticed about it. It does stick out at you. In a way it reminds me of the former signage at 919 N. Michigan Avenue,
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/221028294184586588/

I miss that sign and those lights. If anything, the Trump sign is even more noticeable. You wouldn't see the Playboy sign unless you looked up. The T R U M P sign is right at eye level. I don't know, to me there is something amusing about all this. It didn't ruin the view for me, it gave me something to laugh about. Granted, I don't have to see it every day. Chicago has a variety of architecture that suits everyone's tastes. With the addition of the sign, this building suits Donald Trump's tastes, and like I said before, it is his building. It is definitely better than the old Sun Times building.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 1:29 PM
dream fast

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 10:50 PM
Ex Houstonian

I agree, the Trump logo absolutely ruins tons of otherwise sick views in Chicago. Here's some photos I got last summer, and all were unusable due to the giant Trump logo.

DSC_3381 by photolitherland, on Flickr

I photoshopped Trump out of this photo by just cloning the glass.

DSC_3401 by photolitherland, on Flickr

DSC_2954 by photolitherland, on Flickr

DSC_2927 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Its really a shame that his horrid capitalized name is in the most touristy photogenic spot in the city right there on the river for everyone visiting the city to see.

Last edited by photoLith; May 23, 2016 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 10:15 AM

Those are really beautiful pics of the chicago skyline with the tower becoming the centrepiece. Nice architecture and even better facade. The name on the building should have been smaller in my opinion. It seems too big and spoils the facade.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 7:26 PM

If we can't get the city to remove the fugly Trump stamp I say add as much flashy shit as possible to drown it out.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
If we can't get the city to remove the fugly Trump stamp I say add as much flashy shit as possible to drown it out.
Am I one of the few people who does not really care about the Trump signage?

Supposedly it was on the drawings when approved by the city so long ago.

Now we have the issues/fights/discussions whatever you want to call it to keep the signage on the old Chicago Tribune building and the Ebony/Jet building.

If it said "Sears" instead, nobody would probably care less. Remember it did replace the Sun Times sign and that was not really a work of art. It is all about politics.

Part of me would like to see a tacky, brightly lit, Times square type of area in the city. Instead we get all the billboards all around town.

Maybe 100 years from now people look back with some fondness and that will just be another sign in the city's history like Playboy, Santa Fe, Pepsi, Standard Oil or even Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Last edited by Suburban Shadow; Aug 24, 2018 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Shadow View Post
Am I one of the few people who does not really care about the Trump signage?

Supposedly it was on the drawings when approved by the city so long ago.

Now we have the issues/fights/discussions whatever you want to call it to keep the signage on the old Chicago Tribune building and the Ebony/Jet building.

If it said "Sears" instead, nobody would probably care less. Remember it did replace the Sun Times sign and that was not really a work of art. It is all about politics.

Part of me would like to see a tacky, brightly lit, Times square type of area in the city. Instead we get all the billboards all around town.

Maybe 100 years from now people look back with some fondness and that will just be another sign in the city's history like Playboy, Santa Fe, Pepsi, Standard Oil or even Babe Ruth.
No the sign wasn't on the drawings when approved by the city and the controversy surrounding it had nothing to do with politics. It happened way back in 2014 before Trump was a candidate. It had everything to do with it being tacky crap tacked onto a pretty stellar tower polluting the view in perhaps the most prominent location in Chicago.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
No the sign wasn't on the drawings when approved by the city and the controversy surrounding it had nothing to do with politics. It happened way back in 2014 before Trump was a candidate. It had everything to do with it being tacky crap tacked onto a pretty stellar tower polluting the view in perhaps the most prominent location in Chicago.
The Trump sign was approved by the city council in 2009. What was approved by the City was supposedly even larger than what was installed. Where were all the complaints when it was submitted?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 10:21 PM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah also how come nobody ever complained about Charles Manson when he was just a schoolboy?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Aug 25, 2018 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Yeah also how come nobody ever complained about Charles Manson when he was just a schoolboy?
Thanks for the cheap shot Busy Bee.

Looking at all his other properties, yes, the city should have had a good idea that he would have put TRUMP in big letters on the side of the building.
He had his name in large letters on buildings long before the Chicago tower was ever designed.

It was allowed to be 20% larger, so it could have been worse.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Shadow View Post
The Trump sign was approved by the city council in 2009. What was approved by the City was supposedly even larger than what was installed. Where were all the complaints when it was submitted?
If it was approved in 2009 it wasn't on any of the publicly available diagrams or renderings of the building. Not sure how you could expect the public to complain about something that wasn't available to them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture