HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I drove through it a few years ago on the way to the redwoods from San Francisco. It's an economically depressed town, almost felt right at home in the rust belt, as others have mentioned. It's quite unusual for California.

That whole stretch of 101 feels more like rural Maine or West Virginia in its distinctive American rural poverty type feel.. which is very different than what you see in the rural areas in Southern California through the Central Valley.
As most people know, the town of Mendocino (south of Eureka) was the film location stand-in for a supposedly Maine town in the TV series "Murder She Wrote":

Mendocino

http://mendocinomusic.org

Mendocino is far from poor. It's a very popular weekend getaway location for San Franciscans--lots of Bed/Breakfasts there. There are also some in Eureka but that's a much longer drive.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:38 PM
BANNED

^ And rural coastal Maine is very affluent.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
^ And rural coastal Maine is very affluent.
Lots of high-income people summer in Maine, but I doubt any coastal Maine county has high median or mean income.

Maine is the poorest state in the NE.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As most people know, the town of Mendocino (south of Eureka) was the film location stand-in for a supposedly Maine town in the TV series "Murder She Wrote":
It was also the film location for that movie from the 1960s, "The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!" The film was set in a fictional Massachusetts town, from what I remember.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:57 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Lots of high-income people summer in Maine, but I doubt any coastal Maine county has high median or mean income.

It gets pretty Steven King-ish once you get inland...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

On paper it's poor because most wealthy people would never be a resident of ME, but don't fool yourself. Coastal ME is full of extremely wealthy home owners. They might only live there for 3 - 4 months out of the year.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
It gets pretty Steven King-ish once you get inland...
I often thought about that when I was driving from Logan or Portland Airport to mid-coast ME after dark.

There are these pitch dark, creepy, heavily forested dips along U.S. 1 where a fog bank will settle in and there is nothing around you.

You enter the fog and leave it within about 3-4 seconds. I often thought that the spookiness of ME was the reason King was able to get into the state of mind to write his creations.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 6:43 PM

Your answer for why Eureka never became some industrious metropolis:

Humboldt County kind bud

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 8:45 PM

The climate also seems a bit miserable. It's a few degrees colder than San Francisco and gets almost twice as much rain. The hottest month, August, has an average high of 64 F (18C)!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Fact: early in his military career after the Mexican-U.S war, Ulysses Grant was posted to Fort Humboldt near present day Eureka. The remoteness and often bleak, cloudy, cold and rainy weather drove him to drink and depression. Shortly thereafter he left the army, only to return after the outbreak of the Civil War. Typical Eureka seasons: Winter: cold, rainy; Spring: rainy, cool; Summer: usually overcast, cool; Fall: some sun, often the best weather, but still usually cool. The rains start up by October. Sunny days above 75 degrees F. are rare.
Forgot to add-as along the entire California coast, especially north coast, you can drive a few miles inland from Eureka and other coastal towns and be in warm sunshine. Also, drive south along 101 towards Garberville along the Eel River and the sun shines and it is usually warm in summer. The summer fog only gets so far inland, and burns off early. Same pattern in SoCal, but more pronounced in NorCal since the ocean water is colder north of Pt. Conception which favors fog. SF vs. Sacramento etc., but also Santa Monica vs. Van Nuys summers. As a youth, I lived in the Valley, and it was great to drive to Santa Monica to cool off. But I can see how the cool overcast could get to you after a while. But you do save on air conditioning.

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 1, 2018 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
It was also the film location for that movie from the 1960s, "The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!" The film was set in a fictional Massachusetts town, from what I remember.
There was a Jim Carrey film about a guy that has an auto accident and amnesia and ends up running a movie theater in a small coastal town (was it called "the Majestic"?) Was that also filmed in Mendocino, or maybe Ferndale closer to Eureka? Ferndale is another town like Mendocino that has found fortune on the north coast. My parents passed up a chance to buy a house there in the mid 1970s when prices were still reasonable, and still kick themselves for the missed opportunity.

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 1, 2018 at 12:51 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Ferndale is another town like Mendocino that has found fortune on the north coast. My parents passed up a chance to buy a house there in the mid 1970s when prices were still reasonable, and still kick themselves for the missed opportunity.
What Ferndale is best known for is its superbly preserved Vistoriana, especially the commercial district:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferndale,_California

What it wasn't known for, because the government preferred it that way, was a Naval Communications Station that communicated via an underwater long wave antenna array with our ballistic missile submarine fleet. If the President had ever ordered a nuclear attack, the message would likely have been transmitted through Ferndale (among other places) but I believe this system has now been dismantled (among other things I believe it was found unhealthy for marine mammals).

What it and Eureka should have been known for is earthquake faults because they both have a lot of them and have had a few large quakes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferndale,_California

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
The Eureka area, with its islands and large natural harbor, looks like it could have been a major metro area. At the very least and especially with its relative proximity to San Francisco, it should have been way bigger than it is, perhaps a metro of a few hundred thousand people.

What happened? What stopped it from being any bigger than it is?
its in the middle of nowhere. thats what happened. the PNW coast is outrageously pretty but the only routes to get out there are thru the coastal mountains, driving 70 with rednecks steaming down your ass in a big pickup truck...eureka, coos bay, lincoln city are just places where artists go to get off the grid, ex loggers stay to because they have nowhere else to go, or city dwellars visit to go to "the beach".

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 11:12 PM

Mendocino also stood in for Nantucket Island in the 1971 film "Summer of '42." They picked it because it resembled 1942 a lot more closely than Nantucket by the early-70's, a place sort of lost in time and developing slowly and sluggishly if at all. Anyway, a general issue with the coast is a simple lack of flat land. Even San Francisco has to deal with this issue, though the value of the harbor made it worth the effort.

But up and down the northwest coast, there tends to be a small quantity of actual flat land pinned between the ocean and coastal hills. At many points, the hills continue all the way TO the ocean (hence, spectacular viewpoints like Cape Perpetua or Cascade Head in Oregon). Area roads are basically situated on slow-moving landslides as those hills slope toward the sea, requiring constant repairs. This inhibited roads and railroad lines. There are old roads in certain areas near the coast which are no longer maintained (like those around the abandoned Oregon logging town of Valsetz), and the environment simply reclaims them within a few years.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
a general issue with the coast is a simple lack of flat land. Even San Francisco has to deal with this issue, though the value of the harbor made it worth the effort.

But up and down the northwest coast, there tends to be a small quantity of actual flat land pinned between the ocean and coastal hills. At many points, the hills continue all the way TO the ocean (hence, spectacular viewpoints like Cape Perpetua or Cascade Head in Oregon). Area roads are basically situated on slow-moving landslides as those hills slope toward the sea, requiring constant repairs. This inhibited roads and railroad lines. There are old roads in certain areas near the coast which are no longer maintained (like those around the abandoned Oregon logging town of Valsetz), and the environment simply reclaims them within a few years.
A lot of people consider hillside/hilltop living an advantage rather than something to be dealt with.

As for Mendocino and other towns like Ferndale on the northern CA coast being caught in time, an awful lot of effort--zoning, building restrictions etc--is made to keep them that way. Like I said before, at least from Ft. Bragg south (Eureka is north of Ft. Bragg), getting any sort of room without long-standing reservations on a holiday weekend can be near impossible. This coastline is very popular as a weekend getaway among city folk and the number of B&Bs and unexpectedly fancy dining spots shows it.

Also, nobody has so far mentioned the popular and toney getaway community of Sea Ranch

A good example of a home in Sea Ranch

https://sf.curbed.com/2017/2/27/1475...h-sonoma-house

Last edited by Pedestrian; Sep 2, 2018 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
its in the middle of nowhere. thats what happened. the PNW coast is outrageously pretty but the only routes to get out there are thru the coastal mountains, driving 70 with rednecks steaming down your ass in a big pickup truck...eureka, coos bay, lincoln city are just places where artists go to get off the grid, ex loggers stay to because they have nowhere else to go, or city dwellars visit to go to "the beach".
Every human settlement used to be in the middle of nowhere. Eureka is at least on the coast and reachable by ship.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions