HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Just don't like the fungus balconies.

The differing facade cladding on the podium facing 41st Ave look weird.
If you mean the difference between the east and west half of the podiums, it's not actually a difference in the cladding. The model maker was simply unable to complete the project before the open house.

Quote:
I just think that the balconies look tacked on.
If the podium was more organic/more solid surface, then the balconies forming a pattern rising out of the podium
up the glass façade would make more sense.

Ironically, the balconies are tacked on, they're prefabricated and hung onto the building. It is a good way to get around thermal bridging at any rate.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
If you mean the difference between the east and west half of the podiums, it's not actually a difference in the cladding. The model maker was simply unable to complete the project before the open house.
Ahh, that explains it. Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:48 PM

688 West 41st Avenue – Buildings 3 & 4 - UDP

Quote:
UDP Overwhelmed by Unique, Sophisticated and Elegant Oakridge Centre – Buildings 3 & 4 Set a High Bar for Vancouver Architecture

688 West 41st Avenue – Buildings 3 & 4
One thing I’ve noticed in the time I’ve spent at the UDP is that sometimes, towards the end of a long meeting, the room takes on a bit of a sillier atmosphere. So, it wasn’t that surprising when this proposal’s lead presenter got on their knees, and insisted the panel join them to see how the building’s veil not only sculpts its design, but also helps the podium meet the ground and create a more intimate streetscape. Some people are both experts in their field and love their work, and this person is clearly one of them.

They spoke with enthusiasm as they described the “pods,” which one panellist felt looked more like mushrooms. These precast concrete, thin-shelled fiberglass balconies will also serve a practical purpose, as they double as privacy screens. That said, some members preferred the design from a previous rendering which showed the pods randomly scattered instead of aligned in rows. Still, they will provide great outdoor space, as they will have faux teak tile decks, built-in seating, and some even have small windows. Instead of being constructed as part of the building, these pods will be hung from it to prevent thermal bridging.

Sustainability will be a key aspect of this project, as it plans to meet Step 3 of the new provincial energy code, even though it doesn’t come into effect until 2021. To aid this goal, there will be a new district energy plant, and the windows will generate solar power as they will incorporate photovoltaic materials. One member praised the design of building’s envelope, saying it’s everything they would want to see from an energy standpoint. They felt it not only proves that such a high level can be reached, but that it will eventually become the new normal.

Although it’s best not to read too much into the model, as the applicant noted it was only finished the night before, and there were some errors present as they hadn’t had a chance to critique it. One member of the panel joked that perhaps the project should come back, as they like learning more about the proposal each time it returns.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2018/1...-architecture/

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 11:25 PM

Now I'm curious where the entrance to the Hudson's Bay is located on that podium (on 41st Ave or from the plaza?)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:30 AM

Looks like you would get going pretty quick down that giant slide!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 11:30 PM

Fantastic. I hope they can pull this off faithfully to the renders.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 11:32 PM

These designs would look so nice by any of Vancouver's waterfront: Coal Harbour, Falsecreek, Olympic Village, Kitsilano, West End, etc. They would look especially sleek if they can be viewed from any of the bridges: Cambie, Granville and Burrard. I can imagine how the structures would seem to rotate as you view them driving across , say, Cambie bridge should the entire project be built at the VPD parking area/future school/modular housing site east of Cambie bridge. Sleek to the max!

Unfortunately at Oakridge, not only will the structures be blocked by street trees, but there will not be anywhere elevated nearby that provide good overall view of the entire development. Such a waste.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:34 AM

I was at Oakridge this morning and overheard a few guys with hard hats talking about the deconstruction of the barrel skylights at the mall. They were talking about the addition of lighting to replace the loss of light once the deconstruction of the barrel skylights is complete. Also, the fountains inside the mall have slowly been demolished so guessing all this work is in prep for both the redevelopment and to create more space in the interior of the mall.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:40 PM

Something like this would look brilliant at False Creek North.

But I absolutely love the models.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 7:54 PM
Vancouver Bus Driver

The trains on the Canada Line are just fine...perfectly big enough!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 11:13 PM
Make America Great Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I was at Oakridge this morning and overheard a few guys with hard hats talking about ....
Were they also wearing yellow vests?

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Were they also wearing yellow vests?
Sorry no! Although there are tons of people around the mall these days that are wearing a vest and hard hats which I chalk up as all good signs! I am going to love seeing this project happen.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I was at Oakridge this morning and overheard a few guys with hard hats talking about the deconstruction of the barrel skylights at the mall. They were talking about the addition of lighting to replace the loss of light once the deconstruction of the barrel skylights is complete. Also, the fountains inside the mall have slowly been demolished so guessing all this work is in prep for both the redevelopment and to create more space in the interior of the mall.
I was at the mall on wednesday and wondered why the fountain was all hoarded up.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:27 PM

Oh well, no mention of additional space for a Saks...

Quote:
HBC Agrees to Amend Hudson's Bay Lease at Oakridge Centre
TORONTO & NEW YORK — HBC (TSX: HBC) today announced that it has entered into an amendment to its lease for the Hudson’s Bay location at Oakridge Centre in Vancouver, BC. In exchange for certain concessions and approvals related to the redevelopment of Oakridge Centre, HBC has received $151.5 million, which has been used to repay borrowings on the Company’s revolving credit facility. As part of the amendment, HBC agreed to relocate Hudson’s Bay to a new location within the redeveloped Oakridge Centre, where it will remain a retail anchor and pay similar rent as its existing lease. Construction of the new location is expected to be completed in 2022, at which time HBC will receive an additional $21 million to outfit the new store, which is expected to open in 2023. The current location is expected to remain open and serve customers throughout the redevelopment.

https://business.financialpost.com/p...akridge-centre

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:56 AM

5 years seems so far away and yet can they really build all that in 5 years?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Oh well, no mention of additional space for a Saks...

https://business.financialpost.com/p...akridge-centre
Holy crackers. I knew that the Woodwards/HBC lease was a major impediment, but that's one heck of a lease amendment cheque to cut. And then to add to that, the existing lease rates will remain in place in the new premises. That's gotta make a heck of a dent in the pro-forma.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:20 PM

The original Oakridge was developed by Woodwards, so Woodwards would have had a sweetheart deal on rent when the mall was sold (in the 1980s redevelopment?), and Hudson's Bay would have inherited that when it bought out Woodward's in, what, 1993?
Can't imagine what the term of the lease would have been though (99 years?).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:49 PM

It's pretty much like a land purchase at that point.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:06 AM

And yet Sears only got the same amount for their metrotown site?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
It's pretty much like a land purchase at that point.
Like a leasehold estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
And yet Sears only got the same amount for their metrotown site?
HBC would have had more leverage at Oakridge to screw up the whole project -
Just look at how Ivanhoe Cambrdige scaled back its original plans after announcing it "discovered" an aquifer and couldn't come to terms with HBC.

My guess is that if HBC didn't agree, the whole concept would go back to the drawing board..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver