HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 12:20 AM

When will your city get 5G?

5G mobile broadband (and a broadband to homes option) is coming to a lot of cities in the remainder of 2018 and 2019. Here are some of the cities that have been announced that I can find. Have you seen any announcements in the local press or elsewhere?

ATT: Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Waco, Jacksonville (of course!), Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Indianapolis, Oklahoma City, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Las Vegas, Nashville, Orlando, Louisville and New Orleans.

Verizon: Houston, Sacramento, Los Angeles, Indianapolis

Sprint: Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta, Washington, DC, Houston, New York, Kansas City, Phoenix

T-Mobile: New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Dallas (they claim ultimately their list will include 30 cities in 2019)

Rogers: Ottawa, Toronto ("testing"--not sure about official roll-out)

Telus: Vancouver (also "testing")

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:33 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Of course my neighborhood isn't included in Verizon 5G just yet so we're still stuck with shitacular Suddenlink a little longer.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:08 AM
Vires acquirit eundo

In Australia:

Telstra - rolling out in Gold Coast & Toowoomba. Committed to have 200 base stations upgraded for 5G by the end of the year.

Optus - roll out next year

Vodafone - roll out next year.

On the topic of 5G, local telcos are hoping for a longer-distance standard given the makeup of Australia (i.e range from 50km to 200km) to cover more of the bush. https://www.theage.com.au/technology...11-p50303.html

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:59 AM

some places have even more powerfull then 5g. is it 6g? its for driverless cars and stuff. yay more cars and radiation

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
some places have even more powerfull then 5g. is it 6g? its for driverless cars and stuff. yay more cars and radiation
5G is the technology that will underpin the IoT (internet of things) including driverless cars and nobody really has it fully deployed yet though a few cities have experimental or test installations. Between now and the end of the year will see the first regular deployments but since the technology depends on “small cell” sites that only cover a block or so, even after deployment in a particular city, companies will take years to fill in gaps in coverage.

You are probably thinking of the current fastest cell phone technology, 4G LTE. Actually, we may also see the first 5G cell phones go on sale in 2019. Supposedly you’ll be able to download a high def movie in seconds.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 3:29 PM

that stuff is boring to me, i dont even like regular cars. im into motorcycles, computer stuff like haw ai can be real good at games. driverless cars have crazy technically though. ive heard 5g doesnt work in real wet places lik in the pnw by the ocean, so no driverless cars there.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 5:02 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

is it weird that LTE makes my finger hot

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 5:15 PM
E pluribus unum

We'll get 15 additional off-campus, privately-owned students-only housing complexes built for the hordes of Californian college kids infesting Flagstaff before we get 5G.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
that stuff is boring to me, i dont even like regular cars. im into motorcycles, computer stuff like haw ai can be real good at games. driverless cars have crazy technically though. ive heard 5g doesnt work in real wet places lik in the pnw by the ocean, so no driverless cars there.
Thanks for your insightful post. . . we are all better human beings because of what you said. . .

. . .

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 8:19 PM

There’s supposed to be a trial starting in part of the City next month, and then the first rollout across London (from EE, not my network) is planned for 2020.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 8:37 PM

^ Pretty much the same here. Local operators, the 3 big Fr (Orange, SFR and Bouygues) are working like nuts to deploy the tech as of 2020, supposedly all over the national territory.

They'd better shake it fast to have it availvable up to the deepest rural arse and to the overseas regions of France ASAP.
Or they'll all be pissed at Paris once again, as usual.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 10:09 PM

^ So Paris and Lyon then? Maybe Bordeaux?

I’m pretty sure London is the only part of the UK that’s getting 5G any time soon.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Thanks for your insightful post. . . we are all better human beings because of what you said. . .

. . .
forums are for talking and sharing info. if you dont like it ill go to a computer or motorcycle forum or something.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions