HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:55 PM
<----Virtual Planetoid

Unhappy R.I.P., hudkina

I'm very sorry to inform everyone that our longtime forum member hudkina has passed away. His name was Brad Hudkins. I found out after reaching out to his family that he had passed away March 12, 2015 from colon cancer. He had not posted in a while which led us to think something was wrong. hudkina had a passion for Detroit and Michigan and was always informative in his posts, and was a good photographer.

Brad's mom signed up to the forum to read his posts and to see his photos he had shared here.

His family asked friends and family to do an act of kindness in Brad's honor, and I thought it would be nice to carry on with that idea.

Online memorial
http://www.mimemorial.com/obituaries...s/H/Brad-Allen

hudkina's photo albums:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64429486@N00/albums

https://hiveminer.com/flickr_hvmnd.c...ginput=hudkina

hudkina

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:57 PM
arf

Will be missed.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

it's rare to find such a potent combination of passion and knowledge for a given subject matter in one person.

brad had that potent combination in spades for his beloved detroit.

i've missed his presence on the forum for the past 3 years, and i will continue to miss him.

my belated condolences to his loved ones.

RIP, hudkina.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:40 PM

I recall hearing the news a year ago by way of a local forum. So sad. Brad was always thoughtful and positive in his posts. Something we always need to see more of around these parts.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:50 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Just doesn't seem right one so young should leave life. Belated condolences to his family. At least he can still share his wonderful photos.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:54 PM
that prick

Ce putain de cancer fait chier. C'est une saloperie. C'est le diable.

They made a whole dramatic story of AIDS here, but cancer is killing many many more of us.
It made me cry a couple of times already.
I never had to cry for AIDS yet.

I say nanotechs to replace ill degenerated cells...

I can remember the username of the guy, hudkina.
Je suis un peu triste, là.

It feels strange and very unpleasant when people I don't really know on these forums die, taking me back to actual life.
psst... A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34)
I like bass. Give me some.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:48 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Brad was smart as a whip, which made him both a formidable ally or foe depending on which side you were standing on in a debate. I'd fairly regularly go to him to see how to calculate this-or-that figure and make sure I had my numbers straight, or simply to ask him to do stuff way above my comprehension.

I still have saved things he taught me how to do; nerdy stuff like how to calculate the employment interchange measure for determining metropolitan areas, for instance. lol He got my interested in all kinds and manner of really techinical and super nerdy measurements. It's amazing, really, the things that live on after people leave us. I was geninuely hurt to find out of his passing when I came out of my self-imposed exile here, last year, after my own family tragedy. I wish he'd told us or even just one of us what he was dealing with, but he was never one to complain about personal stuff. I know from my own personal loss just six months before his own what it's like to come across people and things online from your deceased loved one. So I hope us sharing brings the family additional solace. All these years later I still get excited when I come across an old picture, letter, card, video, etc...from my brother that I didn't knew existed or forgot about. Brad wasn't much older than my brother, so it feels like I lost two.

His passion for and knowledge of our shared hometown has always and will always be greatly missed here by us Detroiters. He'd have been so excited to see the stuff taking off in the area now.

RIP, Brad.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:41 AM
1st Ward

I remember Hudkina's posts from years back in the Detroit threads. He was always a strong and positive presence there, and you could tell that he really loved his hometown. It's always a tragedy when someone passes at such a young age, and having known personal loss myself, I can only hope that his family can find peace knowing that he had a positive influence on so many people who visit this message board.

My condolences, and God bless.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 3:15 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Ugh, so awful to hear this - f#ck cancer.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 3:39 AM

Very shocking news. I remember him from years back, as I'm sure most of us who have been on here awhile do. A life lost much too soon. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 8:17 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

That is just terrible. I admired his passion for his city and state. May he rest in peace.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 10:20 PM

Sorry about this news.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:01 AM

Anyone who has been around this and other urban enthusiast forums for a while will remember hudkina as one of the fixtures of anything related to his beloved hometown. I don't think i'm the only one who will think back and remember how they were impressed by the length and breadth of his knowledge and were motivated by his nature that elevated the discourse.

You will be missed - Colin Love

P.S. - Over on Detroityes a fourmer named itsjeff passed away around ten years ago now I believe i'm a lil short on time now so ill check later tonight. During this time there was a way to help support work on either the riverwalk, hart plaza or maybe bell isle by buying a park bench or paving stone and it would be donated with an inscription. The detroityes community came together and had a bench placed in his honor.

If there is another opportunity to do something similar say and i'm pulling this outta my ass if the west riverfront redevelopment starts I think it would be a fitting tribute.

— President Trump

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 3:32 PM
somewhere in-between

It says something about humankind, that we can miss someone we never physically met. His absence is felt here, and condolences to his family for their loss.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 1:29 AM
homesick alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
It says something about humankind, that we can miss someone we never physically met. His absence is felt here, and condolences to his family for their loss.
It’s so true. I’ve lost other online friends and the grief was just as strong as someone I had known IRL.

Here are my last couple of exchanges with him in 2011:

You will be missed, Brad

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 2:55 PM
The City

Interestingly, when you Google his name, another person named Brad Hudkins died only a year later in Michigan at the age of 31. What a sad coincidence!

I vaguely remember Hudkina and I can only say that it’s always tragic when somebody is lost, particularly before their time. Rest In Peace, man.....

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 9:49 PM
is a loser.

That's awful to hear. I know him and I butted heads and had some disagreements, but man, RIP

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 11:44 PM
<----Virtual Planetoid

Today is the 3rd anniversary of his passing.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 2:01 PM
alive and kickin'

People tend to drift from forums and I was wondering where he went. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

It is a shame that Hudkina didn't get to witness this stage of Detroit's comeback. He was such a vocal proponent of the city and was thorough in documenting its status. I'm sure he would have been as thrilled as we all are about the Hudsons site, Monroe blocks, and MCS. Unfortunately we will not have his photos to keep us updated.
Toruń, Poland

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest